[FIXED] Open staircase cause routing failures

by Maysbat

Original Post

Re: [WORKAROUND] Open staircase cause routing failures

Champion
@DeanXeL Thank you! While the logic all seemed to follow when I read your explanation I was having a hard time putting it into practice. The video is very helpful.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Volunteer for Answers HQ, I do not work for EA
She/Her
Message 491 of 500 (2,287 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hi. I built several stairs (L shaped) with no extra open space but Sims can't use any of them on Xbox with 1.42 update. 😭

Message 492 of 500 (2,112 Views)

Re: [LAUNDRY LIST/WORKAROUND] Open staircase cause routing failures

★★ Novice
@Maysbat I have the same issue on console (PS4). It's a shame that it still isn't fixed. :/
Message 493 of 500 (2,072 Views)

★★ Pro
@TheBl4ckSh33p Even without extra open space, a surrounding fence/railing which defines the stairwell as a "room" might be a problem. Have you tried removing the "invisible" fence at the top of stairs with "draw fence" control-delete to see if it helps?
Message 494 of 500 (2,070 Views)

★★ Pro
@annAinnoC At least, it made the Laundry List! Hurray! Hoping the light at the end of the tunnel isn't an oncoming train, but, if they've got a handle on it, and have a good fix in mind that won't mess up other stuff, I'll be happy.
Message 495 of 500 (2,066 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

I am having this issue, too. The easiest workaround I have found is to use the free-placement fence tool (not the wall replacer version) and remove any fence that is at the top of the staircase (specifically where the stairs connect to the upper level.) The rest of the level can still have fence/railings, just not at the top of the stairs. For many builds, it will look like no fence/railing is present, but that's because the stairs often make it invisible where they connect, while still having a "phantom" railing there, acting as a barrier.

The only downside to this is that it causes the game to see it as "open to the outside", so it won't have proper lighting and your exterior and roof trims will clip through the walls...

(Don't have time to read through 25 pages of replies, so just adding my own experience and solution, even if there are others who have said the same thing or given other solutions.)

Message 496 of 500 (2,016 Views)

Dot.: [LAUNDRY LIST/WORKAROUND] Open staircase cause routing failures

★★★★★ Novice
I have the same issue on console PS4
Message 497 of 500 (1,904 Views)

Dot.: [LAUNDRY LIST/WORKAROUND] Open staircase cause routing failures

★★★★ Guide

@hdwz86neeke7 Same, except I'm on Xbox One though I also had this issue when I used to play on PS4.

I recently tried building a stairway similar to the images the original poster uploaded, and yeah my sim couldn't go up. Ended up deleting the entire thing and starting over, just so my stupid sim could figure out that they could climb stairs. It was beyond frustrating, and got to a point where I was yelling at my screen. Spent all that time trying to make something look nice, just to have the game give me the middle finger. I remember having this issue in the past, though figured it would be fixed by now. Guess it's my own fault for assuming that something would actually be fixed.

Another problem I've noticed when trying to do stairs like this, maybe someone has mentioned it already, but it seems that if the room with the stairs forms any part of the outer walls of a building then the roof and/or roof trim can clip into the room as well.

Message 498 of 500 (1,889 Views)

★ Apprentice

So glad this made the Laundry List, I haven't touched the game in months due to this issue since I can't be bothered building or fixing all my lots but excited to get back into the game once this gets fixed.

Message 499 of 500 (1,855 Views)

Hero

We have fixed an issue where Sims could not use stairs when Simmers deleted the floor of a fence block that was built around the stairs in the upper landing. It sounds like a mouthful, doesn’t it?

Fixed in Patch 1.76.81/ 1.4.

If you're still experiencing this issue, please create a new thread.

If you still have issues, please make sure to post pictures of your setup (or name the house if it's a premade) in a new thread.

It's also helpful if you upload the house to the gallery.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 500 of 500 (20,905 Views)