[FIXED] Open staircase cause routing failures

by Maysbat

Original Post

Sims can't use L shaped stairs

★★★★★ Newbie

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.75.125.1230
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Every expansion except snowy escape and eco lifestyle every game pack except journey to batuu, realm of magic and strangerville every stuff pack except paranormal, moschino, nifty knitting and tiny living no kits
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? 1. place stairs 2. make it L shaped 3. try using the stairs
What happens when the bug occurs? Sims cannot use the stairs, just say they cant to do it
What do you expect to see? sims using the stairs
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Product: The Sims 4

Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.75.125.1230
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Every expansion except snowy escape and eco lifestyle every game pack except journey to batuu, realm of magic and strangerville every stuff pack except paranormal, moschino, nifty knitting and tiny living no kits
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? 1. place stairs 2. make it L shaped 3. try using the stairs
What happens when the bug occurs? Sims cannot use the stairs, just say they cant to do it
What do you expect to see? sims using the stairs
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Message 471 of 500 (1,151 Views)

Re: Sims can't use L shaped stairs

★★ Pro
@PGsims Are the stairs going up to a loft or in a stairwell with an "open to below" area?
Message 472 of 500 (1,327 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@stjmk yeah, it goes up to an area that looks down on the hallway below
Message 473 of 500 (1,304 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Has this issue been acknowledged at all by any EA employees somewhere in these 48 pages?

Message 474 of 500 (1,279 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@ldn2la Post #346 on page 35.
Message 475 of 500 (1,260 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@MrMig57 Wow all the way from January, almost half a year ago. I think we need an update on what progress has been made since then in the next laundry list.
Message 476 of 500 (1,237 Views)

★★ Pro
@ldn2la I'm just a bit scared that they'll say, "Sorry, we have no idea how to fix it; you're on your own!"
Message 477 of 500 (1,230 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I am a bit worried that this is still an issue. I've been trying to work around it without losing my ceiling. But it seems the easiest work around is adding a ladder. I really like lofts but this has been so frustrating that I'm thinking of not using houses with lofts anymore. Sometimes I think this game is worth sticking with, then I get annoyed by a long standing bug and I think "I really should not spend money on this anymore since it seems that the people making it don't care that much about my experience playing it." I've been playing since Sims 1 and I never put in bug reports or considered dropping the game entirely until Sims 4. I think I'll forgo buying Sims 4 content until they fix the oldest bugs.

Message 478 of 500 (1,180 Views)

Re: [WORKAROUND] Open staircase cause routing failures

★ Guide

My sims can't use the stairs either. I noticed it after the last update.

Message 479 of 500 (1,156 Views)

Re: [WORKAROUND] Open staircase cause routing failures

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Edit: The workaround from DeanXeL is much better than what I did. Following their guidance I was easily able to fix the loft.So disregard my workaround mentioned below.
They shared a link to their workaround on this issue, but I'm going to share it again just in case https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17893949/#Comment_17893949 

I was trying a few things yesterday because I didn't want to change the style of the loft in the current lot I was using and I didn't want to use a ladder in place of the stairs. The last thing I did worked but I'll have to do more testing to narrow down the exact steps since I was trying so many things.

I put a wall on the loft in the place where the fence would go (I had removed the stairs). Then I put the fence there.

I put the stairs through the fence like I normally do so there is an opening. This made the loft no longer a room so the ceiling was open and I couldn't put a roof on.

So then I went up a floor and put a platform across the space I wanted the roof to be.

For me I just wanted a flat roof. To achieve this put a short fence on the walls of the platform. Then I put a corrugated metal swatch on the floor of the platform. I put the roof decor (industrial decor for an industrial style loft) on the platform and it looked good. It was raining and no rain came inside so I think the platform works as a roof.

My sims can now use the stairs to get to the loft. The loft is over their kitchen and the stairs start in their living room. The living room and kitchen share the same room. Please keep in mind I need to do testing to make sure I have the exact steps.

Message 480 of 500 (1,123 Views)