Sims won’t walk up configured stairs

by Dylansaur_753

Original Post

Re: Sims can't go upstairs

★ Apprentice
@Rudolf_Fischer Because EA cares about one thing and one thing only: $$$$. They couldn't care less about their players/customers. Egotistical A**holes. If it doesn't bring in cash, it's not worth their time.
Message 331 of 500 (1,722 Views)

★ Guide

Okay, I have not had this issue with stairs except for the one time when it turned out that I had placed a low-hanging light (using bb.moveobjects) so that if it had happened in real life, as you walked up the stairs, you would hit your head on the light since it is a physical object.  In the game world, as the game tried to plot the path from downstairs to upstairs, the path was blocked by the light.  I moved that light and the path was cleared and the stairs were accessible.  

Using bb.moveobjects can make things tricky for this reason.  Because it removes that visual warning that one object is interfering with another and thus may cause issues for your sim's path routing abilities.  So the best thing I can suggest is if you placed objects using bb.moveobjects, try removing those objects and see if the sim can use the stairs.  If they can, you'll know the issue.  If they can't, then you'll know there is an object with the stairs themselves.  

As for making the assumption about what EA cares about, I can only say this.  It's triage.  As was stated a couple of posts ago, the gurus release patches that fix the game when it truly becomes unplayable.  Not being able to use stairs in a specific way hardly makes the whole game un-playable.  Therefore, this stairs issue would be low ranked in triage.  To put it in perspective, let's say you have two issues that you have to deal with:

1. The vast majority of users have game crashes while saving
  2. A small number (by comparison) have problems using stairs

Obviously the save issue needs to be addressed first.  For that matter even if both issues affected the same number of players, the save issue would make the game un-playable while the stairs issue would simply have to be done without until the save is fixed.  Add to that the growing list of bugs and glitches and honestly, the stairs really aren't that high of a priority for most gamers.  It's unfortunate that it's an issue for any gamer because it does need fixed but again, there are much higher issues that need to be dealt with first.

Of course I don't work for EA (yet but hopefully one day) so I can't speak specifically to their process but making disparaging comments about them or any other gaming company not caring about the players and only caring about the money does not help the issue.  I felt your frustration when I had the error 22 bug that truly did make the game un-playable since it did cause save issues and thus there was no way to continue that game.  So I do feel your frustration and irritation. 

Also, if you think about it.  If the company only cared about the money, wouldn't they want to fix everything so that the gamers would start giving them more of it?  After all, if the game gets a bad reputation, sales fall and the game dies.  And after reading many threads and viewing/participating in many polls, I can tell you that the support for this game is overwhelming within the community.  This means that EA is focused on the gamer and therefore giving a triple A quality game that the vast majority of us love and play.  Bugs happen, glitches happen, things get broken and need fixing.  This is called life.  So let's just try to keep things in perspective.  AND keep your passion about the game!  That fact that you are frustrated about it means that on some level you do still love it so want to see it better.  Keep that passion just keep the perspective too.  Standard smile

Message 332 of 500 (1,663 Views)

★ Apprentice

I think there are a bunch of different stair-related problems being conflated here, thanks to different bug report threads getting combined. The one I'm here for is the one where stairs become unusable if they go through a room where the floor has been deleted, ie, the upper half of a double-height room. Build the floor again, or explode the room so it no longer counts as a room, and functionality returns. As someone further up the thread observed, this seems to affect a number of pre-made lots as well, including the Partihaus lot in Windenburg. (If it still seems to work, check that the room isn't exploded: can you select the whole floorless space as a room, or are each of its walls registering as independent, freestanding entities? I think that's how the Spencer-Kim-Lewis house in Willow Creek works.)

This used to not be a problem. The assumption, therefore, is that it should be an easy fix -- though the reality might be that the development team will have to redo most of their last patch from scratch, which would be anything but easy. My personal suspicion is that two lines of code got switched around so that instead of dealing with the "create opening for stair headroom" question first and then the "floor has been deleted" question after, the game now goes, "Floor has been deleted. Therefore, as there is no floor above the stair to delete, no opening has been made. Since no opening has been made over the stairs, there is no headroom and the stairs cannot be used."

For myself, I think most of my builds are affected. In some cases, the room with the deleted floor is no more than a single square larger than the natural opening made by the stair going through a floor -- perhaps I wanted to maintain a clean rectangular opening for an L-shaped stair, or perhaps I wanted to get rid of an extraneous bit of floor that no one could use. But the point is that this bug would mean me having to do a full audit of all the builds in my game before I can play it again, and then repeat that audit to change things back when the bug is fixed. And then, of course, there are all the builds I've already put on the gallery.

Message 333 of 500 (1,645 Views)

My sim won't go upstairs?

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

So I downloaded a build from the gallery and redid it to my liking, but when I put my sim in her new house she refused to go up the stairs. I've deleted and readded them a dozen times. There's nothing in their way and they weren't built using bb.moveobjects. Also, I don't have any CC or mods on my computer that could affect the game. Does anyone have a solution? 

Message 334 of 500 (1,600 Views)

Re: My sim won't go upstairs?

Hero
@justabrean I merged your post with the bug report on this.

Check out the solution post for workaround suggestions.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 335 of 500 (1,579 Views)

Sims won’t walk up configured stairs

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Microsoft XBOX One
Which language are you playing the game in? Deutsch
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.36.105.2300
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Just Seasons and Cats and Dogs
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Create a three platform set air stairs against a wall leading to a landing upstairs (open floored area surrounding the stairs opening)
What happens when the bug occurs? Sims will not move up stairs and the will wave their arms with the no routing thought bubble
What do you expect to see? Sims should walk up straits and on to the landing
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? On console - never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

————————————————————————

My sims won’t walk up the stairs, I have tried deleting everything around it and putting it back etc. I have also tried to re configure the stairs and create space. Nothing seems to work. 

Gallery ID - Dyl the Dino630

Lot Name - Quaint Home Troubleshoot

Edit By Crinrict: Fixed Duplicate Template

Message 336 of 500 (1,527 Views)

Re: [WORKAROUND] Open staircase cause routing failures

★★★ Novice

Hello,

Got this Problem too. Seems that the Sims got Problems to go upstairs because there was something like a "invisible wall" blocking the way. And for me there was a connection with the fact that the stairs didn't belong to the upper room.

In my case it helped to reduce the galerie by dragging:                          

If you activate bb.moveobjects you only have to replace the walls after that. 

This will keep the gallery and the stairs can be used by my Sims again.

Hope this is helpful for some of you.

Best wishes Tjeame Standard smile

Message 337 of 500 (1,446 Views)

Re: [WORKAROUND] Open staircase cause routing failures

★★★ Newbie

So I’m playing on PS4 and my Sims cannot walk use the stairs at all. There is no gate or anything blocking the walkway. What do ?

Message 338 of 500 (1,356 Views)

Staircase in open landing doesn't work

★★★ Newbie

Hi all,

I often like to create houses with an open landing. This used to be possible by creating a room with the use of fences, placing the staircase through the fence at the top (so a section of fence disappears) and deleting the floor in that room, creating a double height landing.

Ever since the update that came just before the release of Snowy Escape, this no longer works. The sims can't use the stairs anymore in my existing houses built this way. I managed to delete the fence at the top of the stairs and by doing so, sims can use the staircase. However, that now means that they are not two separate rooms anymore and I can't have the open landing.

Has anyone else had this problem? I can't find a way to get round it and I don't understand why it has changed. 

As a side note, to make sure it wasn't my builds, Lilsimsie put up the Cube Starter Home which had an open landing but that wasn't useable for me either. Thanks in advance for any replies!

Message 339 of 500 (1,282 Views)

Re: Staircase in open landing doesn't work

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Any update on a fix for this yet?? It's been ignored in todays bug fix patch yet again. Really don't understand why this isn't being given top priority as there's 34 pages of people reporting it on here and it literally breaks so many EA builds in the game.

Message 340 of 500 (1,220 Views)