Re: [WORKAROUND] Open staircase cause routing failures

by Rudolf_Fischer

Original Post

★ Novice

Hey, everyone. The same thing happened to me. After reading the descriptions of the problem, I had an idea that worked for me: build another room, using "Flat Square," over the stairs that are not working. It just needed to be large enough that the stairs removed the floor above them on their own. Now, the stairs work, and everything is visually the same as before. Hope this helps.

Message 321 of 500 (1,195 Views)

★ Guide
This also affects the Old Quarter Inn and the Partihaus household in Windenburg
Message 322 of 500 (1,166 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Same problem over here. Nothing helps. I even can´t click on the cellar-floor - no speech bell appears(feet-symbol). Any patch announced?

Message 323 of 500 (1,110 Views)

★★ Pro
@Rudolf_Fischer EA doesn't do that!

Haven't had that happen with a cellar - generally, when stairs are malfunctioning, you still get the footy-prints at the bottom and the top, and then the Sims wave their arms with a "can't go there" thought bubble. Makes me think there might be a "deadzone" in your cellar around stairbase where Sims just can't walk. If you can, try moving cellar stairs one over, or teleport Sims down there to see if they can walk on all parts of floor. The fix is to try to replace those little grid units with walkable tiles, but haven't tried with cellar before.
Message 324 of 500 (1,099 Views)

★ Apprentice

@sylvernanI just tried this and ... good lord, it works. I don't understand. It shouldn't work, but it does.

Normally, a "room" in the game must have EITHER all sides defined by walls/fences/spandrels/whatever OR a floor. The "room" this creates has neither (no floor, obviously, since it's meant to be an open space over a double-height room; and no walls where it meets the dummy "floor" over the stairs) and yet it hasn't exploded, which is what usually happens when you delete one wall of a room with no floor. Nor has it absorbed the dummy "room" even when I put the ceiling back on it. I don't understand.

(PS: Just a note to everyone else who's fussy about room integrity: the dummy room made with the flat square won't have a ceiling. You'll want to put that back yourself.)

Message 325 of 500 (1,088 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Yes! Finally! This totally worked, @sylvernan. I haven't been able to play in months. Thank you!

Message 326 of 500 (1,016 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Hello EA please read this and help us!

Message 327 of 500 (994 Views)

Re: Sims can't go upstairs

★ Apprentice

So I learned my particular problem is actually the shape of the stairs. Due to this exact same problem everyone is having, the work around wouldn't work for me because I had the stairs completely wrapped around itself. It used to work, but with this recent update, the stairs being shaped like that conflicts with the ceiling and all work arounds people have come up with. The infuriating thing about this is that it won't be fixed. I won't be able to use those stairs ever again. I'm regretting more and more ever paying money for this glitch of a game.

Message 328 of 500 (982 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Why are you sure, they will not patch this?

Message 329 of 500 (973 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@Rudolf_Fischer EA Rarely patches the game unless the bug completely breaks the game, causing it not to load. If the bug will still allow the game to load, they won't fix it.

I've got bug reports years old that were never fixed. Some, I fixed myself, a single line of code added. Simplicity itself to fix, but never done.

Good thing is, modders will usually fix things. Not sure about this bug though. It'll be a lot harder for modders to fix.

You'll likely just need to learn a different way to build stairs and just deal with it.
Message 330 of 500 (928 Views)