Re: Sims can't go upstairs

by Thats_Me_Madz

Original Post

Re: My sims do not go upstair

★ Guide

I had this happen to me too.  Here's what I found out.  I had a light just at the foot of the stairs and didn't realize it was low enough to prevent them from accessing the stairs.  Check and make sure that if you have a light nearby, that it is moved away from the stairs so that they can go up and down them.

Message 311 of 500 (1,828 Views)

Sims can't go upstairs

★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.69.59.1220
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? City Living, Discover University, Get to Work, Get Together, Seasons, Snowy Escape, Realm of Magic, Strangerville, Jungle Adventure, Parenthood, Vampires, Laundry Day, Vintage Glamour, Holiday Celebration
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Just try to go upstairs or try to interact with anything on the second floor of the house while your Sim is on the first floor
What happens when the bug occurs? The Sim just refuses to move and has an error "thought bubble"
What do you expect to see? I expected my Sim to go upstairs.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

These screenshots are from after I had my Sim "Go Here" to the foot of the stairs, and then clicked "Go Here" to a random spot on the floor upstairs. This also happens when I interact with an item upstairs and the Sim is still downstairs. After I transport my Sims to the second floor, they seem to be able to go to the third floor via stairs without any issue. I have tried several different stairs in different parts of the house from the first floor, no luck. I have removed all of my mods and repaired the game.

Message 312 of 500 (1,845 Views)

★★★ Guide
@heidisandomir this could be to do with an invisible wall or fence being placed at the top of the stairs. Try removing it by going into build mode and use the Ctrl function to remove the wall/fence (pretend you are wanting to draw a wall at the top of the stairs, but hold Ctrl when doing so, this will remove any wall/fence placed).

Alternatively, is anything physically blocking the stairs such as a light?
Message 313 of 500 (1,834 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

@Thats_Me_Madz@PenguinFoop Thank you both! After a few days of this, it seems to have gone away on its own? I can't explain it! But thanks for the advice!

Message 314 of 500 (1,757 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I hate that this thread is marked as solved. It is far from solved. I've done every single work around this thread has to offer and still I can't get my sims up the stairs. It is maddening and this game is absolutely not playable!

Message 315 of 500 (1,729 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Open staircase cause routing failures

★★★ Newbie

@SimtasticSimSim @ What was the solution? I think her comment was deleted and im having the same issue. My kids can go upstairs but my teens and adult cant.

Message 316 of 500 (1,726 Views)

Re: [WORKAROUND] Open staircase cause routing failures

★★★ Novice

I’ve been having this same issue in every lot since November update and it hasn’t been fixed yet. Open staircase = route failure and yes, the workaround do work but this issue is so inconvenient. 

Message 317 of 500 (1,651 Views)

Re: The Sims 4 staircases don't work properly after November patch

★★★ Novice

I am also finding this is an issue, though I don't know if platforms are somehow involved as all my stairs have platforms involved. They do also have the floor removed around the stair well as described by a previous contributor. 

I am having a lot of problems with things on the platforms. the meditation stools for example cant face a single direction without disappearing below the level, though the other 7 orientations are fine. 

Message 318 of 500 (1,611 Views)

Re: [WORKAROUND] Open staircase cause routing failures

★★ Novice

I'm having the same issue as well. I built a grand staircase using a platform tool and then having an open area on the second floor that looks down into the foyer. The sims can walk up to the platform just fine, but when trying to get upstairs they cannot get to the second level. I've been building and furnishing this house for 4 days so I'm really disappointed this is happening Frown Photo attached is of the grand staircase and my sim unable to get up to the second floor from the platform Frown 

Message 319 of 500 (1,585 Views)

Chateau Peak Staircase/Fence Bug

★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.69.59.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get to Work, Get Together, City Living, Cats & Dogs, Seasons, Get Famous, Island Living, Discover University, Eco Lifestyle, Snowy Escape, Outdoor Retreat
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Go to either Chateau Peak or Casbah Gallery and attempt to move a sim to the top floors.
What happens when the bug occurs? Sims are obstructed by the gates or fencing at the top of the staircases, and notify the player they can't move there, canceling the move order
What do you expect to see? The same freedom of movement as before the update
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. The November patch which allows platforms

My Sims moved into Chateau Peak and the entire upper floor is obstructed. I looked for a culprit and it seems the update from November (platforms) has bugged the gate at the top of the stairs. I have no mods installed. I've tried to find a workaround by deleting the gate/wall fixture but it just causes a headache of a mess by forcing a new floor into the area, deleting windows, doors, and furniture, and then attempting to remove that new floor causes the outside balcony to disappear... total mess!

In addition, the top floor of the Casbah Gallery suffers the same or similar issue. It's not the gate so much as the fencing in this case. Lastly, when I do change things around in these areas, there is a surge in soft crashes where the Sims just stand around doing nothing and are unresponsive to commands. There may be other unreachable areas I haven't discovered, but these two default areas are severely crippled by this effect. 

Message 320 of 500 (1,547 Views)