Re: [WORKAROUND] Open staircase cause routing failures

by Maysbat

Original Post

Re: The Sims 4 staircases don't work properly after November patch

★★ Pro
@BitterBubbly Did you read the [WORKAROUND] Open staircase cause routing failures thread? Sounds like it's probably related, and your input on how you got your stairs to work again might help others.
Message 111 of 500 (1,382 Views)

Re: The Sims 4 staircases don't work properly after November patch

★★ Guide
@stjmk I had NOT seen that thread yet. Thanks for the heads up! I'll post this info over there, too. Standard smile
Message 112 of 500 (1,401 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

I posted this as a reply to another thread but am posting it here, too, in hopes that it may help some of you. 

I was also affected by broken stairs.

In the house I'm currently playing, the only staircase that wouldn't work anymore was one that had 3 bends in it. I'd created a spiral(ish) stairwell that connected the second and third floors of the house. THAT stairwell no longer worked.

Unfortunately, my sim was on the third floor when the patch was installed, so I had to remodel that stairwell completely so she could leave the top level of the house, since suddenly becoming Rapunzel wasn't quite what I had in mind for her storyline.

I have four other indoor staircases on the lot - two that each have one bend in them and two that do not have any bends. All of those still worked (aside from having snow on the railings even though they were indoors (???), which I was able to fix by deleting and replacing the roof.)

I'm wondering if the game is confusing staircases with platforms now in terms of routing. Remember they said there would be height restrictions on which platforms would be accessible to adult sims...maybe adults think they're too tall to use the stairs now? Hard telling...

Anyway, replacing/remodeling the staircase that didn't work solved the routing issue in my game. I had to change a few things on the floor above it since I had to change the way the stairwell was shaped, but the stairs did work after that.

I'll add that all of my indoor staircases ARE attached to a wall on one side, but not both. The one that stopped working had walls on both sides.

Something about the new platforms has jumbled the routing for staircases, I think.

Try replacing your staircases and (if necessary, some minor remodeling) to see if it helps. My staircases are working again, but only if they're attached to a wall on one side and have no more than one bend in them.

It's true that this was NOT a problem before the patch.

EDIT: Adding that two of my staircases ARE in "Open to Below" areas. Those still work, but they're attached to a wall on one side and have railings on both sides (even though it causes a bit of graphic weirdness on the wall.) Standard smile There is also a 90 degree bend at the midpoint in both of those staircases, which may or may not be relevant. 

EDIT 2.0: Another thing that might be causing it...perhaps the game thinks that staircases in open areas need to be connected to platforms? I seem to recall reading something about there needing to be stairs between platforms and house levels in order to make them routable. Maybe the game now reads open staircases as unroutable unless they're connected to platforms. Not sure about that, but I could see how that MIGHT be an issue if there's some kind of platform to stair connection requirement that is also being applied to staircases in open areas when it shouldn't apply to them. (#NotAllStaircases Tongue out

Message 113 of 500 (1,462 Views)

Re: Sims Cannot Travel upstairs when platforms are present

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I'm having this same problem. My build is from the Gallery and I've bulldozed the lot and replaced it many times. My adult sims can't walk up or down the stairs, but my child sim can. The adult sims wave their arms with the thought bubble that appears when a sim is too big to enter (I saw the same thought bubble in a creater's recent video when they made a space an adult sim couldn't enter. It's the same one that's in OP's picture). I've tried raising the wall heights but that doesn't work, either. The build is from February 11, 2020 so it was made before the newest patch update and expansion pack release. I didn't have problems with it before the update. I don't have any mods or CC. I have all the packs, except Snowy Escape.

Message 114 of 500 (1,390 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Open staircase cause routing failures

★ Guide
@JuliaChang93 That worked for me but it doesn’t break the ceiling for the opened area above the stairs. So once they fix this, don’t forget to rebuild the ceiling 😫
Message 115 of 500 (1,419 Views)

★★ Guide
@kimberlyaz1992 If you have a lot of sims it's not that simple to teleport all of them. And having testingcheats on is too tempting to start cheating. hahaha
Message 116 of 500 (1,388 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@Ladyhawk1979 “ I'm wondering if the game is confusing staircases with platforms now in terms of routing. Remember they said there would be height restrictions on which platforms would be accessible to adult sims...”
That’s exactly what i thought because some people mentioned their child sims can use staircases without a problem.

Message 117 of 500 (1,384 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Sims won’t walk up the configurated stairs

★★★★ Guide
@Caleighadriana13 Your issues are probably related to the much larger issue with some staircases in this thread: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/WORKAROUND-Open-staircase-cause-routing-failures/td-p/9716427
Message 118 of 500 (1,383 Views)

★★ Novice
@Maysbat Same problem. I had to change the flooring and fencing around the stairs to make it work.
Message 119 of 500 (1,313 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Open staircase cause routing failures

★★★ Apprentice
@JuliaChang93 Thank you Julia I was able to use my Sims lot after Maysbat told me your workaround.
Message 120 of 500 (1,308 Views)