Re: the sims 4 stairs

by Onverser

Original Post

★★★★★ Newbie
@TempletonPeck81 I can't believe this hasn't been fixed since November!!
Message 391 of 500 (1,489 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

So the laundry list came out and this issue is STILL being ignored by them. I'm so tired of it. 

Message 392 of 500 (1,427 Views)

Re: [WORKAROUND] Open staircase cause routing failures

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

So according to the laundry list this is not even a priority?

Message 393 of 500 (1,415 Views)

★ Guide

Wow...

Message 394 of 500 (1,410 Views)

Re: My sims cant go up stairs

★★ Novice

I had to build walls around the stairs, meaning, a wall on each side for them to work. I deleted all railings and fences. 

Message 395 of 500 (1,391 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have had this issue too and its so infuriating. If you still want the look of the "fence" at the top of the stairs you can change it to a half-wall and it seems to work fine to do that. 

Message 396 of 500 (1,300 Views)

★ Apprentice

Guys, unless we're talking about a completely different issue, I don't think this has anything to do with the fences at the top of the stairs at all. If deleting a fence seems to solve the problem, I'd suggest that what's really happened is that you've exploded the upper room -- something you could have achieved by deleting any other wall/fence around the space instead of the fence at the top of the stairs.

I am absolutely certain that the issue arises because the game now only considers there to be adequate headroom if placing the stair causes part of the floor above to get auto-deleted. If you manually delete that floor, the game can't auto-delete it, and no auto-deleted floor means no adequate headroom means your sims can't use the stairs.

If the upper room is exploded, that means there is no room to cause an issue with the stairs, so the whole auto-deleted floor thing never comes into play, which is why the stairs now work. (Some of us, however, have issues with exploded rooms, so this workaround doesn't work for us.)

Message 397 of 500 (1,280 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@XinqunAmen! Preach it!

Just to clarify, if you use the sledgehammer to delete the floor ("explode" the upper room), the game thinks there's no issue with "headroom" for adult sims.

But if you select the stairwell (with railing/fence/halfwall around it) and choose remove floor, it won't work because the game thinks "no adequate headroom" for adult sims.

There are ways to work around the exploded rooms having weird outdoor lighting, no ceilings, and other stuff, but they are a serious pain.

Edited again to add: I know because practically all of my houses on the gallery had "open to below" spaces around stairwells, two-storey foyers, two-storey living rooms, upper-storey galleries and whatnot, and fixing them/getting them to look decent again was a job and a half.

Message 398 of 500 (1,275 Views)

★★★ Novice

Same issue as everyone else. All staircases built with an open mezzanine are un-routable by all sims, ages teen-elder, ever since the platforms patch.

This leaves almost everything I've built, as well as many pre-built Maxis lots unusable.

Playing on console (PS4), so no mods.

I hope this gets fixed, the workarounds just aren't working for me, and it appears to be a widespread bug.

I personally wonder if marking this issue as "Solved" after discovering a few finicky workarounds, is causing it to be overlooked, when it is still very much (no pun intended)...an open issue.

Message 399 of 500 (1,073 Views)

★★ Pro
@PianoCollector

LuvMySimz did post:

https://twitter.com/simgurunick/status/1369846384271106048?s=21

So, it does look like they're aware it's an issue and they're still trying to fix it.

My guess is that the platforms were such an extensive update, fixing this one without breaking something else might be tricky.
Message 400 of 500 (1,059 Views)