Re: NPC Sims are only foreigners

by Lorraine-Simmer

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@Miro382

Did you observe the Sims with Japanese names almost always having certain hair colors? For me and many others, Sims with Japanese and Middle Eastern names are almost entirely red or blonde-haired for some reason. Red and blonde hair just seems to be tied to these names, probably not intentionally so.

As for me, though, I don't have an issue at all with the names themselves. It's just that, combined with the townie generator's bias for them AND the fact that the Sims team didn't seem to add enough of these names into the mix by my observation, it's not just names of the same origin, it's the exact same names repeating over and over again. Seriously, a quick google search would pull up tons more names like this that could be added into the randomizer.

It's also bothersome how, no matter what name they have, Sims only seem to be allowed to wear CL and Vampires clothing. This is especially odd since I have ALL packs and therefore TONS of hair and clothes for the randomizer to be choosing from.

Message 41 of 92 (2,514 Views)

★★★★ Guide
It's not much of a randomizer than if they all just look and wear the same thing...
Message 42 of 92 (2,452 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@SimGuruIcarus

I've made a very interesting observation recently that might help in at least getting to the bottom of the red/blonde hair issue. I installed a mod that completely removes CL names from the name pool for experimental purposes, and I noticed that even without any of these names showing up, certain combinations of physical traits are still very prevalent. My townies are, for a huge chunk of the time, being generated with red/blonde hair and a narrow eye shape. There is also still a large prevalence of townies with a darker skin tone and red/blonde hair. This is what I think is going on:

- Red/blonde hair will almost always appear on randomly-generated sims with a narrow eye shape or darker skintone.

- Sims that have a narrow eye shape will typically be assigned Japanese names by the townie randomizer, while Sims with a darker skintone will typically be assigned a Middle Eastern name.

- As a result, Sims with these names will almost always have red or blonde hair.

Basically, red/blonde hair doesn't seem to be tied to certain names, but rather to certain physical characteristics. This was further proven to me by randomizing Sims in CAS. Lo and behold, a good chunk of the randomized Sims were red/blonde-haired with a narrow eye shape, or red/blonde-haired with a darker skintone. This might also explain why Sims generated with Indian names, by my observation, usually only have black hair. They don't typically spawn with a narrow eye shape.

Message 43 of 92 (2,392 Views)

Re: [OPEN] NPC Households have same structure/name

Champion
My game just seems to be stuck on Japanese as the default archetype whenever it needs to create a generic sim.

For example I was at a bar in Newcrest and it generated two Japanese named sims with asian archetype features to be bears on bear night.

Every criminal suspect that the game generates for my detectives is a Japanese named sim with asian archetype features, making it pretty easy for me to spot them without even trying or looking at clues.

The only times the game generates anything else is when the defaults are overrided by other factors, such as location. City Living open streets townies have specific defined archetype tags in their templates. For example it does tend to generate African archetype townies when in the Arts Quarter, and Middle Eastern archetype townies for Spice District. In Uptown I got some caucasian and black western named sims. And of course Latin archetype for all Selvadoradians.

But there is seriously something wrong with whatever is the default generic setting when no other archetype specified. The game will always 99% generate a Japanese named and featured sim for generic situations. The 1% is for when randomly a Middle Eastern or Indian named one appears.

I do also tend to get a lot of redhead or blonde Japanese sims, but also black haired ones too. They're not all redheaded and blonde.
Message 44 of 92 (2,329 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Yup, Sims with CL names always seem to be the default when generating townies for bar nights. I can't really comment on the detective career, though, since it's super broken and I haven't played it in a while as a result. I can only imagine, though. "Suspect has red/blonde hair." Well, I guess I know what kind of name they're bound to have!

As for them not all having red or blonde hair, that is true on my end as well, but they're definitely not the majority. It's still very rare for me, with most them still almost always having red or blonde hair. Again, it's the most prevalent in Sims with Japanese or Middle Eastern names. The Sims with Indian names typically have black hair most of the time.

Message 45 of 92 (2,289 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I have all of these problems in my game too, the names, the clothes, the hairs, and families look nothing alike. I did a clean save, deleted every existing sims, and every one if them except one got CL names.

But since the title mention the family structure, what i noticed is every single family that is not just a single sim has the same structure: young adult single mom, teenage daughter, child son. Every single one, no exception. I deleted so many of these being generated every day once i noticed, because i<m getting a generation of girls, followed by a generation of boys, it's insane, i had to create my own townies to balance it out. I googled it and found a closed thread from 2014 with the same problem, same structure and everything. how is that still happening? can i fix it?

Message 46 of 92 (2,242 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@SimGuruIcarus

I made another interesting observation. Even in Selvadorada, despite the generated Sims all having Selvadoradian names, I'd say anywhere between 60-80% of them have those same combinations: Pale skin, narrow eyes, red/blonde hair or dark skin and red/blonde hair. Just as I suspected, it isn't just the CL names that the generator is obsessed with, it's also certain combinations of physical traits.

The two combinations of physical traits that the townie generator is obsessed with:

• Pale skin, narrow eyes, red/blonde hair
  • Dark skin, red/blonde hair

I should also mention that the CAS randomizer is also obsessed with these particular physical trait combinations.

Message 47 of 92 (2,184 Views)

Sims wear the same clothing

★ Novice

Al my newly generated sims all wear different variations of the same clothing. I tried removing CC but it didn't help. This happens for all my worlds (old and new worlds).

It's really annoying, pls help.

Message 48 of 92 (2,039 Views)

Re: Sims wear the same clothing

★ Novice
Just to add, most of them also have the same / similar names like Sasuki or Sakamoto or Erika.
Message 49 of 92 (2,033 Views)

Re: Sims wear the same clothing

Hero

Hi @Death_Eclipses

I merged your post with the current bug report on same household structures.

Could you post some pics of your NPCs (Household manager)

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 50 of 92 (2,016 Views)