[FIXED/MOD RELATED] Culled Ghosts become Undead (in Manage Households)

by Fierande

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED/MOD RELATED] Culled Ghosts become Undead (in Manage Households)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get To Work, Get Together, City Living, Cats & Dogs, Vampires, Dine Out, Parenthood, Romantic Garden Stuff.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Release a spirit to the Netherworld, then go to manage households. The Sim no longer appears as a ghost in manage households, but rather as a normal-looking Sim without a household name.
What happens when the bug occurs? Sims released to the Netherworld (i.e. culled) appear as normal Sims in manage households, rather than as ghosts. These Sims have no household name. When you place them on a lot and try to load it, the game will crash and generate an error code. Sims are without traits and aspirations - and appear very much "undead."
What do you expect to see? Sims staying ghosts even when culled, please!!
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Happened right after the November patch. Also seems to happen to people who don't have any mods installed, so it's not likely to be mod-related. Also, creator of the one mod I use assured me it wasn't his mod that caused it.

This issue used to be merged in with the "dead Sims appear as alive in family trees" one, but since that one is fixed I decided to give it its own thread. This issue has really been bugging me (ha-ha), because it affects a to me fundamental aspect of the game, namely culling. Started occurring after the November patch. After the February patch, it seems as though the dead Sims in family tree issue is fixed: after I released a spirit to the Netherworld, she was still grayed out in the family tree. However, when I went back to manage households, the "ghost" appeared as a nameless, traitless, aspirationless alive Sim in the Manage Households menu. Previous experience with these Sims had them crash my game if I attempted to place them on a lot and loaded it. I have added several Last Exception files in comments in the Dead Sims Appear As Alive in Family Trees thread, but I don't have access to these files anymore as I deleted them so I can't add them to this one. I really hope this issue will be addressed by EA soon, and am quite disappointed that it still isn't fixed after months when it affects quite a core aspect of the game and generates actual game crashes and game-generated error codes. 

Message 1 of 25 (4,891 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Culled Ghosts become Undead (in Manage Households)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager (retired)

@FierandeThe root cause of this issue was fixed with the February patch, and should no longer be occurring from new save files. We're unable to reproduce this issue on a brand new game using your Steps ("Release a spirit to the Netherworld, then go to manage households. The Sim no longer appears as a ghost in manage households, but rather as a normal-looking Sim without a household name."). 

Unfortuately though, our fix did not work for existing save files. To workaround this, you should be able to evict the Sim from the lot to be able to use the lot again. And you can delete the broken Sim from Manage Households, right? 

EDIT (crin): This issue seems to be still happening if you have the MCCC Mod installed. Please remove it (and any other mods you have), before reporting in here. Thank you.

EDIT (crin): For a solution how to fix your save without deleting the households, see the post here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/FIXED-MOD-RELATED-Culled-Ghosts-become-Undead-in-Manage/m-p/66...

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

View in thread

Message 2 of 25 (5,486 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@FierandeThe root cause of this issue was fixed with the February patch, and should no longer be occurring from new save files. We're unable to reproduce this issue on a brand new game using your Steps ("Release a spirit to the Netherworld, then go to manage households. The Sim no longer appears as a ghost in manage households, but rather as a normal-looking Sim without a household name."). 

Unfortuately though, our fix did not work for existing save files. To workaround this, you should be able to evict the Sim from the lot to be able to use the lot again. And you can delete the broken Sim from Manage Households, right? 

EDIT (crin): This issue seems to be still happening if you have the MCCC Mod installed. Please remove it (and any other mods you have), before reporting in here. Thank you.

EDIT (crin): For a solution how to fix your save without deleting the households, see the post here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/FIXED-MOD-RELATED-Culled-Ghosts-become-Undead-in-Manage/m-p/66...

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 2 of 25 (5,487 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have the same issue but only ever since the new update.

I have not experienced this problem before and I don't know what to do...

If i delete the undead sims under the unplayed section of manage world, my family tree is messed up (i. e.  I deleted Bella Goth and now she isn't in the family tree as a picture).

This means that my save is pretty much unplayable in the long run, as I have already a lot of these undead sims in my manage household and my game is lagging more than ever.

Now i worry what will happen if I start my legacy save, will it now be resulting in the same problem?!

I do use MCCC, but until this update I have not have any problems with this before.

This is unacceptable for me, almost all my saves are more generations and simply saving them in my gallery is not an option for me.

Is there nothing I can do?

Message 3 of 25 (4,656 Views)

Hero

Problem is that this could be a MCCC issue for you so unless you can make it happen without, it's hard to know what's actually causing it.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 25 (4,634 Views)

★ Guide

The issue occurs when you bring the dead Sim back to life (removing the Ghost trait) that was previously sent to the Netherworld before the patch. Than re-killing them off again and releasing their spirit to the Netherworld which causes the sim to appear and look alive in manage households.

Message 5 of 25 (4,588 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Hi there ! So, I know it's been announced that this issue has been fixed with the latest update but it's still happening for me.

I started using a new save, uncorrupted, and yet when the grandmother died and i released her spirit, she turned into a zombie in manage household. Exactly as described, her traits have been deleted and her household has no name. She appears however as a ghost in the family tree so i guess that's an improvement from before the patch ...

About the save i used, it's a downloaded save from a creator. It has no cc content, it's just filed with families and lots. It dates back to prior the Pets update and the beginning of the glitch. 

As for the family, i downloaded the household fromm my previous game and settled them in the new save. 

Also, no matter what, it seems that any sim who dies is redirected in manage household. Is that normal ? I'm pretty sure that before the Pets patch, dead sims did not appear in manage household even if they were enjoying a free ghost life. 

Thanks for the hep, this issue is ruining any kind of legacy gameplay ...

[Edit] As i was writing my post I thought, maybe the save or the household i used are corrupted, one because too old and the other because the family tree had been messed up. So i created a brand new save, just for a test, and it's doing the exact same thing. I killed a sim, she went traight to manage houhold as a ghost, then i released her spirit and now she's back to being alive. I killed another sim, this time outisde a lot, so he disappeared without leaving an urn. He appears as a ghosts in his ex-roomates relationships, but i can't find hime in manage household. It seems like because he doesn't have an urn, he's not glitching and being a normal ghost. 

Message 6 of 25 (4,532 Views)

@Cinthilaa I'm using the repro steps you provided (brand new game, kill a Sim, open Manage Worlds, open Manage Households) and I'm not seeing the ghost that I killed added to my Manage Households. I've tried killing the Sim both on and off the lot and still nothing in Manage Households.

Are you potentially using any mods, like MC Command Center? Can you also verify that your game is fully up-to-date? Have you tried a Repair Game? Thanks for the help!

Message 7 of 25 (4,511 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

The issue is with MC Command Center. Removing the mod fixes the issue.

Message 8 of 25 (4,484 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
Hi @SimGuruNick
I am in fact using a few mods, all up to date according to creators and users, including MCC. I didn't know that because of the mod, the glitch was still triggered. I guess I'll ask on deaderpool's chat and see what's going on. Thanks !
Message 9 of 25 (4,469 Views)

Hero

This is why we always need stuff tested on unmodded games.

Please please please read the [INFORMATION] How does this forum work ? thread before reporting. 

Mods and CC are NOT supported by EA and I personally think that QA can use their time better than trying to figure out a issue that happens with a mod.

So, to everyone that still has this issue: Please again, remove your mods before reporting.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 10 of 25 (4,449 Views)