[FIXED] Lost save games

by crinrict

Original Post

Re: [INFO REQUEST] Lost save games - Please post here

★★★★ Novice

I have the same problem except that my last save is actually there in the saves folder but the game won't load it.

My last saved game which in essense should contain everything up to the point of my clicking "save" the last time played is in my saves folder. I am staring right at it. After this patch update it will not load the save.

I built my own rig just to be able to play the Sims 3 "on the performance level it deserves to be played." It is a glorious PC, but it still cannot fully stand the stress the Sims 3 puts on it. I thought the Sims 4 would be different, but after 60 hours of gameplay it too lags and twitches and slowly begins to murder my PC. I am sure I am not alone here.

I would be so incredibly ashamed of myself if I was an employee of Maxis, EA or even Origin. The fact that this game was released prior to being ready for the gaming public (it seems every generation's release follows this pattern) is beyond criminal. These companies take FULL advantage of simmers who live and breath the game no matter the glitches and the quality they must suffer.

Now the 7 day refund game guarantee window has closed. The money I have spent over the years supporting this game is such a despicable thing. The money and time we have ALL spent on this game is a disgrace.

After 60 hours playing the Sims 4- the family growth, career development, home upgrades, special objects obtained, to start from the bottom again. It is exasperating. This game is a sad, disappointing thing, and I am defeated. I quit. Congratulations EA, Maxis, and everyone involved in this grand scheme. You win.

Message 61 of 142 (1,311 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I have the same problem - after updating today, I opened my game and my most recent save file (with the correct date) now only contained the very first sim I had created. The save file should have contained three families - I lost about 2 days of progress. My autosave feature does not seem to work. It autosaved once on its own, so I've continued to save over that file manually. I did do 'save as' once towards the beginning of my game because I didn't understand how the save/autosave worked.

I would like to mention that before today I have opened and played this save file many times, so many saves have vanished. The only sim in my list of played households is from at least 20 saves ago, so I know the game is saving. My saves have just been lost somhow.

• How many files do you have in the folder docuements\electronicarts\thesims4\saves (not subfolder, not sure what they are there for) ? I have ten files corresponding to 2 save slots
  • Are all the save games faulty ? The 'save as' I did at the beginning of the game starts me off where it should. The other save file is the one that I play on regularly and that seems to have reverted back about two days.
  • Are you using save/save as or mostly autosave ? I have only used save and save as. My game autosaved once the first time I played then never again.
  • Anything else you want to share? My game has been crashing occasionally, that's how I know it doesn't autosave. My game crashes and my most recent save file is from the last time I manually saved.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't really want to play until this is solved.

Message 62 of 142 (1,301 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

My game saves have been working perfectly up until a crash I had today (it didn't like me putting 300 parsley in the fridge...) but I think that's because I've not had to use an auto-save before. Since my last manual save was around 2 hours prior to the crash I haven't lost too much. Just frustrating as for once, the autosave feature would have been very helpful and it clearly doesn't work properly at the moment.

• How many files do you have in the folder docuements\electronicarts\thesims4\saves? I had 12. 1 for the autosave with up to ver04 and another for the manual save I overwrite up to ver04.
  • Are all the save games faulty? Nope, they load fine.
  • Are you using save/save as or mostly autosave? I always save. Then just exit by itself if I'm closing the game. If I'm saving mid-game, I just save. I've never used save & exit or save as.
  • Anything else you want to share - This is an odd thing but when I first attempted to load up my autosave to see how much I'd lost, the short cut keys (eg. 0 for pause) weren't working at all. It's working now that I'm using a different save file but eh. Thought it was odd.

Edit: I've just done a bit of research and according to this Reddit post the autosave only works to save a backup when we exit the game. This isn't an "autosave" as players expect. Lots of games have an autosave feature, and they save the game periodically for you - this is what I expected. Like every Sim day or something.

When my game crashed, I opened up the game by pressing the play button as normal (not choosing load) and so because I closed the game after that to try a different save it overwrote my autosave with the time lost - meaning I have absolutely no way to get back what I lost now because of the ridiculous "autosave" feature overwriting my potential autosave from when the game crashed. Rarrr. (It's worth noting that I did try loading using the different versions of the autosave (ver0, ver1 etc) but no help).

Suggestion: Implement an actual autosave feature as well as the backup emergency save. Also make the load game options come up when we click the play button so that we always have to choose which game save to use to avoid confusion.

Message 63 of 142 (1,288 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I have the same problem Frown 3 days of playing gone. I just played a few minutes ago and my saved game dissapeared. All my families and lots are gone. But I do have my families in my library though, it just means that I have to start over again when I play the actual game. Im on a windows 8.1 computer.

• How many files do you have in the folder docuements\electronicarts\thesims4\saves (not subfolder, not sure what they are there for) ?

Saved Files

• Are all the save games faulty ?

I don't think so

• Are you using save/save as or mostly autosave ?

save and autosave

• Anything else you want to share

is there a way to bring back the old saved files and if not does it mean I have to start over again?

Message 64 of 142 (1,267 Views)

Hero

Thank you guys for the reports.

EA IS looking into this but so far they seem to have either troubles duplicating or finding the cause.

Keep your reports coming. They are reading this thread.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 65 of 142 (1,252 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have the same problem too. Had about 30 hours of gameplay with one family, used mainly save and save/exit. Have previously opened save files etc and all worked accordingly but then came to it this evening and there is no load game option. It's like I have never played at all, really annoyed as I don't want the same thing to happen again when I create a new family Frown 

Message 66 of 142 (1,168 Views)

Hero

Thanks

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 67 of 142 (1,136 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Just make them play for like 5 hours straight and use save&quit. Voila, problem duplicated!

As for my problem:

No mods, no cc, Windows 7, Downloaded version. Had one lengthy session (game even recorded some achievements), maxed few jobs as well as skills, raised around 10k aspiration then decided to call it a day and first used save as, then after lag stopped (you know, the saving game lag?) used save AND after that pressed save&quit. Couple days later, i start sims, choose to load the autosave and find out that i'm in the beginning of my journey, with only painting maxed. Hurried to the quit without saving button, and loaded separate save only to realize that it's exactly the same as autosaved game.

Also, it seems autosave files always replace older versions (files like .VER1 .VER2 and so on) with most recent progress so there's basically 5 exact same saves that are good for nothing.

Message 68 of 142 (1,125 Views)

sims 4: family has been removed from my game

★★★ Newbie

Since getting Sims 4 I have only been playing with one family, due to the this the family have started to progess through there life however i went to play tthe sims today and when i onpened the main menu there was NO load game button at all, i continued to look around the main menu however have been unable to find my family, whats happened???

Message 69 of 142 (1,127 Views)

Re: sims 4: family has been removed from my game

Hero

@RTaicdheeyl Merged your post with existing thread.

Could you check the first post for suggestions and questions.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 70 of 142 (1,118 Views)