Re: Save File Didn't Save

by Lynariela

Original Post

Saved Game Disappeared

★★ Novice

I've been playing one game for the past few days and upon opening the game today noticed that it had disappeared. I have saved it a few times manually (save not save as) and just used the save and quit option last night before closing the game. After looking through the suggestions it still seems weird that the game just completely disappeared rather than just losing a few hours of gameplay. At the very least it seems that one of my previous saves would still exist.

• Are you using mods (Please answer with: Yes, Never, Removed) ?   Never
  • Are you using custom content (as in clothing and objects) ?   No
  • What is your Operating System (XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 8.1) ?   Windows 8 
  • Do you have the download or DVD Version of the game ?    Download
Message 11 of 142 (1,535 Views)

Re: Save File Didn't Save

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Thanks, @crinrict

I played some more and began doing a Save As each time now, so there are more now than there were at the time of this happening.  I currently have 34 files, not including subfolders.

They are not all faulty.  I had a save file from an entirely different sim and I just checked, she's fine, and the new files I've made using Save As since this happened are still *knock on wood* okay.

When this happened, I had used Save prior to going to Manage Worlds.  When it prompted me, I DID tell it to save again.  When I was at the world screen, that's when I noticed that she was living in her original house all of a sudden.  I had already used the Save option and exited the game several times throughout the day (sometimes letting it save again, othertimes quitting without saving.)   I find it weird that it reverted to a save that was almost all the way back to the beginning.  I'm talking $1,000 and her writing was only level 4, she didn't even have more than 1 friend yet.

Going forward, I am doing Save As more often and only occasionally saving over the same name (only manually now).  I'll let you know if I run into any more issues.  I'm bummed about the loss, but ya know, firstworldproblems.  A bug is a bug.  Let me know if there's anything else that would be helpful.  Thanks!

Message 12 of 142 (1,529 Views)

Re: [INFO REQUEST] Lost save games - Please post here

★★★ Newbie

So I'm getting a bug where whenever I start the game and try to load a save, it tells me the save is a higher version of the game than the one I'm currently running. Not sure if anyone else has this but I'd appreciate any known fix for the issue. Thanks a bunch

Message 13 of 142 (1,515 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi, I am experiencing this as well. I played the game for 14 hours yesterday, and when I booted up my game today, my family save file shows the time it was first made. It's as if my game didn't save at all when I click that Save for so many times. I hope this gets resolved soon Frown

• How many files do you have in the folder docuements\electronicarts\thesims4\saves? I see 18 files here. I think I must add that I only made 2 save files in game so far.
  • Are all the save games faulty ? I'm not sure, since the other one was used for testing. 
  • Are you using save/save as or mostly autosave ? I use Save, only Save As when creating the new save file.

• What is your Operating System (XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 8.1) ?   Windows 7 
  • Do you have the download or DVD Version of the game ?    DVD
Message 14 of 142 (1,507 Views)

★★★ Novice

Here is the image of my save files http://i3.minus.com/ibxIlv2tqkPEbm.jpg 

Im actually afraid to play the game of fear of losing progress again. 

Message 15 of 142 (1,505 Views)

★ Novice
I just bought this game today and I am in love with the game but I've had a serious problem. I played for about 4 hours today on and off. I re-entered my saved game with no issues twice. However the third time I went to play the family it was no longer there. It was as though it never existed! The weird thing is that in my library you can find the family I created but I would have to start all over again. It's a real bummer that I lost all of this gameplay. It was the first and only family I created. I hope this helps you guys figure it out!
Message 16 of 142 (1,501 Views)

Hero

Coming back to this later. 

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 17 of 142 (1,485 Views)

★★★ Newbie

My saved games so far seem to be fine. When I go back into the game I start where I left off with both of my families so I have not yet experienced a problem. I have 4 main saved games and within each of those main saves there are 1-5 "versions" attached to the main save file. 

My problem has been saved Sims. I have two sims that I spent quite a bit of time on once the game was released that have disappeared into thin air. Unfortunately I did not upload them yet do I can not just go out into the community and download them back into my game.  I have no idea where they went. The other Sims I created/households are all still there but the two individual Sims I created are gone. Poof.

I have been using both Save and Save As depending on if I wanted to play something out and be able to return to a previous version in case the outcome was not what I expected but I will start using Save As from now on again like we were doing in the Sims 3 to avoid the infamous error codes that game had and hopefully I will continue to have all my saved games at least.

I have no idea where to even go and look for my lost Sims?  I noticed that there is a folder labeled "SavedSimInfoData" and I thought maybe something would be there but it is completely blank. Nothing. Nada. Zero Sim data in there. So where do our created/stored/saved Sims go?!?  Oh well. I am going to try and recreated them and upload them this time hoping that at least they will be out there to DL if they get lost again.

Message 18 of 142 (1,472 Views)

★★★ Novice

I chatted online with an EA customer service associate and advised them of this issue. He "checked" and said it wasn't an issue and that I should troubleshoot by repairing the game on Origin and restarting my PC. I did so and, of course, this is still an issue.

I provided this forum link to him and he said he'd pass on to the Sims team.

If you are having save issues where your game crashes when attempting to resume play, please post in this forum so that they will see it is a true problem that needs to be fixed!!

If my error continues, pretty soon I will have no playable lots. To me, that's one major problem!!

Thanks.

Message 19 of 142 (1,457 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm having this issue too.  I played for hours and then when I went back to my game, it was gone and instead there was an old save file.

How many files do you have in the folder docuements\electronicarts\thesims4\saves (not subfolder, not sure what they are there for) ?

12 and they are

Slot_00000001.save

Slot_00000001.save.ver0

Slot_00000001.save.ver1

Slot_00000001.save.ver2

Slot_00000001.save.ver3

Slot_00000001.save.ver4

Slot_00000002.save

Slot_00000002.save.ver0

Slot_00000002.save.ver2

Slot_00000002.save.ver3

Slot_00000002.save.ver4

Are all the save games faulty ?

Not sure?

Are you using save/save as or mostly autosave ?

both

Anything else you want to share

Hope this gets fixed soon.  I love the game but I'm to afried to play.  I don't want to loose any more saved data.

• What is your Operating System (XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 8.1) ?   Windows 8.1
  • Do you have the download or DVD Version of the game ?    Download
Message 20 of 142 (1,440 Views)