Sims 4 Plants won't grow and mature plants revert back to newly planted stage

by MissOliviaPaige

Original Post

Re: Plants disapear

★★★ Apprentice
  1. Do you own Seasons? Yes
  2. Do you have large gardens? Not sure what your definition of "large" is. Everything is close together in planters so it's not a large area, but there are 13 plants.
  3. Does it matter which plant or does it happen to all of them? I have not yet noticed a pattern, but it does not happen to all plants at once.
  4. Did you plant the plants before or after Nov 11th Patch? Initially planted before the patch, but then moved to Household Inventory and replanted at a new house, so I guess the game would consider them planted "after" the patch.

Several of my in-season plants (but not all of them) literally just disappeared before my eyes while my Sim was watering them. One of them was a sage plant, which is always in season. All of the plants had harvestables ready to collect on them.

Message 51 of 162 (7,222 Views)

Plants just disappear

★★ Novice

I would plant my plants and there would be a dirt mount then its just gone.

Message 52 of 162 (7,187 Views)

Plants disappeared after tending garden

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Sony Playstation 4
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Rarely (0% - 9%)
What is your current game version number? 1.36
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? I'd most likely miss some, so, all of them except for Journey to Batuu, Snowy Escape, and Paranormal
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? By planting seeds from a lot downloaded from the gallery and gardening them. I've only had trouble with money trees and trees of emotions.
What happens when the bug occurs? Tending the garden made my money trees revert to their mound state after weeding them.
What do you expect to see? Money trees instead of dirt bumps.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? On console - never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

I done darn vacuumed up mah money trees!

I tried storing them in the household storage and taking them back out, like I did with my emotion trees when they shrunk from existence, bit it didn't work.

Message 53 of 162 (7,176 Views)
Highlighted

Sims 4 Plants won't grow and mature plants revert back to newly planted stage

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? Whatever is most up-to-date
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? -All expansion packs -Every game pack except Vampires, Jungle Adventure, and Realm of Magic -Tiny Living Stuff, Laundry Day Stuff, Luxury Party Stuff and Holiday Celebration free pack
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Plant any plant and wait for it to grow
What happens when the bug occurs? Plants don't grow when planted, or if they already were plants they revert back to dirt lumps; also, plants never need water and never sprout weeds or get insects
What do you expect to see? Plants should grow and be harvestable as normal.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

This started a few days ago, maybe 11/11/21. First, the plants I was gardening stopped needing tended to (never need water, never sprout weeds, never get insects). Then, the new plants I plant don't ever progress past the dirt lump stage. It doesn't seem to matter if they are sheltered or outside, in season or out of season. I do run UI Extension mod, but the issue started before I even installed the mod, and continues even if I stop using it.

It seemed to have started when I moved a family to a new household, placing plants in the household inventory to move with them. When I placed them back onto a lot, they stopped growing and needing to be tended. The garden plants on a separate lot were fully matured and still blossomed and could be harvested, but after a while, those plants went back to the dirt lump stage and stayed there. Some plants on public lots can be watered but won't grow. It seems nothing can get past the dirt lump stage, and any plants in various stages of maturity have now reverted back to lumps of dirt. The bug has been progressive, so has worsened with time. It started on one lot and has spread to all the others, residential and public.

I tried repairing the game; no luck. I tried running the game without UI mod; no luck. Even if I cheat the plants into the Blossoming stage, they cannot be harvested and are basically unusable objects. If I cheat them into any other stage of growth, they seem to stay that way but cannot be watered, weeded, or sprayed for insects and do not grow any further.

EDIT 11/14/2021:

It occurred to me that perhaps the issue was not the game itself but the save file I was playing with. I removed the save from my Sims folder and started a new game to test it out. New save, new sim, new everything-- gardening worked as normal. Plants are growing and can be tended to as expected, so it appears that my save file must be corrupted. I don't know how to fix it, aside from simply starting a new save, which sucks because I was three generations deep into a game. If there is a solution to the issue that doesn't involve creating an entirely new save, I haven't found it yet. My advice would be to keep backups so that if the issue happens again to someone else, you can revert back to the most recent save where this gardening thing isn't an issue.

EDIT #2 11/14/2021:

In an attempt to fix my original saved game, I deleted all the plants on one lot and replaced them. I had read that having more than 12-16 plants might be the problem, so I restarted the gardening process with 9 of the same plants (Bird of Paradise), some sheltered and some outside. I was able to water them right after planting and after a few hours they grew into their second growth stage. After that, growth and interactivity stalled. They stayed at their second stage of growth and could not be watered, and no weeds or insects appeared. I also started some new plants on a separate lot (peas) and they were only able to be watered once, though they did grow to maturity and were harvestable once. After the first harvest, interactivity stalled again, although the plants are staying plants and not reverting back to their newly planted stage. So maybe the issue is not only with the save file after all. This is a major bummer, guys.

Message 54 of 162 (7,154 Views)

Plants disappearing after being planted

★★ Novice

Hi! In my game, when my sims plant plants the plants disappear after 30 in game minutes or so. I have all the packs except for eco lifestyle, Star Wars, realm of magic, and a few stuff packs. I also have mods and cc. Idk if it’s just cause it’s not in season, but it full on disappears it doesn’t just turn into a small dirt plot. I’ve tried planting them in boxes and on the ground and still. A few of the plants stayed, but most didn’t. When I deleted the planter box, the planted plants went to my household inventory, but they had a big red x on the pic, and when I placed it, it was invisible. I’m going crazy, pls help!

Message 55 of 162 (7,143 Views)

Re: Plants disappearing after being planted

Hero
@ash_potato8 I merged your post with the bug report.

Make sure to click me too on the first page.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 56 of 162 (7,107 Views)

Re: Plants disappearing after being planted

★★ Novice

Hey, I was having the same issue and started a new game after removing the affected save file from the Sims folder. The fresh game showed no signs of gardening issues, so perhaps your save is corrupted. I hope you've kept backups, because I haven't found any way to fix this issue aside from starting a totally new game.

Message 57 of 162 (7,098 Views)

★ Guide

I'm experiencing this issue as well. To answer the questions:

1. Do you own Seasons ?
    Yes
  2. Do you have large gardens ?
    Yes
  3. Does it matter which plant or does it happen to all of them ?
    I think almost all are affected?
  4. Did you plant the plants before or after Nov 11th Patch ?
    I started this save a week or two ago, so, after.

But, I have noticed something that may be a bit of workaround. Not sure if anyone has noticed/mentioned this yet (I haven't read the entire thread)

The first time it happened I went back to an older version of the save and the plants remained in their grown state for much longer.

In my most recent play session, it happened 3 times and each time I exited without saving and reloaded. After reloading I could play for one or two days without my plants reverting to dirt clumps.

The thing I've noticed, it always happens at 7AM. So if you save around 6AM, you can easily reload your saves and play another day or two before it happens again.

It's not ideal, but it keeps your garden producing harvestables instead of being pretty much non-existent.

It's like something is coded to happen at that time, but it doesn't happen as it should. At 5AM the harvestables spawn, at 6AM the weeds spawn (I think, I haven't payed super close attention), so at 7AM, some general thing with the garden is meant to happen, but then does this. At least, that's how it seems to me.

Message 58 of 162 (7,063 Views)

★★ Novice

I think the issue may be too many plants on one lot at a time. I was using the original "broken" save and moved one of my sims into university housing. Had him plant a few plants there-- I think peppers, plantains, sage, chrysanthemums-- but no more than 8. Everything appears to be working as normal. I haven't yet tried the bird-of-paradise flower the glitch started with, so I'm going to throw one of those down onto the lot and see what happens.

Message 59 of 162 (7,042 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

It seems to happen to me after travel...or the neighborhood's environmental status changes. It's a pain!

Message 60 of 162 (7,000 Views)