Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED] [IL] Foundation Stilts multiplying for each room

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.52.100.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All of them
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? try applying stilt foundation to a house with multiple rooms and patio
What happens when the bug occurs? stilts multiply to the extent that it looks ridiculous. There doesn't seem to be any order to how they are applied - the more rooms I apply the stilt foundation to, the more they pack in together until you almost can't see under the house.
What do you expect to see? I EXPECT to see stilts that are no less than 2-3 spaces apart. As it is now, I have stilts that don't even have a full square between them. The stilts should register the entire area being applied and take existing areas into account when calculating where to place them - they just seem to overlap right now.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

Here's an album with all of the images: https://imgur.com/a/UifYI5R

The application of stilts isn't consistent nor does it make any sense - some are clustered together to almost 4 in a square, while other sections of the build only have a few on the perimeter and none within. They shift for each room they're applied to - and multiply, to the extent that I'd worry about a larger build with multiple rooms as they're already almost too dense to see through on my build with 6 rooms + 2 decks.

Message 1 of 13 (3,630 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Foundation Stilts multiplying for each room

@crinrict 

Yes, @IslaRoses's initial bug report of the game multiplying the stilts under the foundation has been fixed thankfully.

@SheriGR wrote:

I just went in and checked Reef Finery. Interestingly they left the cement foundation under the bathroom there (rather than changing to stilts after making the room), and under the bedroom there is a gap with no stilts, yet there are some stilts.

Reef Finery.jpg

I should imagine they just forgot to apply the stilt foundation to that room when they placed it after building the initial foundation, or left it after adding it as you have to move around the foundation to access it in order to apply the stilt effect.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -

View in thread

Message 13 of 13 (3,040 Views)

All Replies

Re: [NEEDS INPUT/A] Foundation Stilts multiplying for each room

[ Edited ]
Champion

@IslaRoses I share your frustration. I made a video of my test if we need further visuals at some point, but I have a partially built home and I did note that there were some areas where they foundation stilts varied between 1.5-3 squares apart, with most being 2 squares apart, and at this point this home is mainly one large room on the first floor. I added a large clear/glass floor tile so the stilts could be seen. Pic #1 is of this:

uneven-posts-WEB.jpg

Next I went in and did some experimenting with adding a room and with an enlarged clear floor tile so we could see the foundation inside/beneath that room. (The part you don't see here is the fact that it initially deleted the floor and made a hole and it had no foundation there when I re-built the floor and added the glass floor tile). Anyway, I finally got the room to allow me to re-add the stilt foundation to this new room area. I added the new foundation in brown. Please see in Pic #2: foundation-posts-WEB.jpgEdit: I have built further on my home now and can also say that when I add a room or do other normal layout actions on the first story sometimes it removes the stilt foundation from a large section of the 1st floor and gives it a regular foundation that I can change back to stilts, and sometimes, as in the case of the two bathrooms I added (only enclosed small rooms within the 1st floor on this building there is a non-stilt foundation that the game added under them, and it looks awful.) Some other areas of stilts look unpatterned and rather like jack-o-lantern teeth.

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 2 of 13 (3,534 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

The video helps a lot! The second image you posted confirms my theory, it seems that the way they’ve coded it doesn’t seem to recognize or calculate for stilts that are already present. Instead of applying a stilt every 2-3 squares for every space, it’s for some reason affecting every other connected space with the same foundation style. 

I experimented with switching between the two stilt foundation types and managed to get almost an entire room without stilts - but then my dock was packed with them. It’s so odd. 

Message 3 of 13 (3,521 Views)

Champion

@IslaRoses This is my video of experimenting. I have a few pauses as my computer was not thrilled to run Screencast and the game at once and moving the 'view area' could overwhelm it... and the record button was covering the foundation area and a few things, but I hobbled along. Several unexpected other issues popped up as well, but that's a story for another thread. Thinking
https://youtu.be/WuLyNlnoU5I

Message 4 of 13 (3,509 Views)

Hero
As this would normally go on the Buy/Build list, I forwarded this but not added to any list.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 5 of 13 (3,452 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Was so excited to see an update this morning in the hopes that this issue would be one of those fixed. Read through the update notes and don't see any mention of it. Haven't had a chance to play after the update yet though. Any change?

Message 6 of 13 (3,257 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Yes, this completely breaks building a home with stilts. It is ridiculous. And now I've just tried to edit the Reef Finery household in Sulani that has normal looking stilts, and when I go to change the stilt foundation color it applies hundreds more stilts!

If this is by design, it's terrible. You can't build with it.

Message 7 of 13 (3,240 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@VilyaEleni agreed. I’ve given up on trying to build in Sulani because of this issue. Any home with more than two rooms ends up looking horrendous. Hopefully the team catches wind of this and corrects it. 

Message 8 of 13 (3,220 Views)

★★ Guide

This thing has happened to me as well, but I've noticed that stretching out the rooms sometimes "helps," but it doesn't make the issue go away entirely.

Message 9 of 13 (3,212 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Champion

@verfens @ajduckie @VilyaEleni @IslaRoses I'm not sure if it would help at all to download and play with it a bit to test things, but the lot that I posted screenshots of previously on this thread is now completed and in the gallery (link below: needs to be placed on Sapphire Shores). I did find that as I continued on my building and tried various things in building (many variations) I was able to come to work-arounds and techniques that worked well enough for my goals. Some of these included: not enlarging the glass floor tiles, in the case of the bathrooms added on the first floor I think I got the stilt foundation to add right by adding glass tiles in the room so I could see the foundation as it changed when clicking until it changed properly to the stilt foundation, etc. I did a lot of experimenting/troubleshooting. A lot. If the foundation on the area was showing too many stilts (crazily so), I think I also tried re-tracing the room (using the wall tool) to get the default foundation to appear then changing it back to stilts? Anyway, in the end it was not perfect in the spacing (some areas vary between 1.5-2.5 tiles between stilt, if memory serves) but I was fine with it in the end. https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/2300886DA06111E989B3D5D7447C5F1D

Message 10 of 13 (3,186 Views)