Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED] Gender Preference/Attraction Bug

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? n/a
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Base Game, City Living, Get to Work, Cats and Dogs, Outdoor Retreat, Spa Day, Dine Out, Vampires, Parenthood, Perfect Patio Stuff, Cool Kitchen Stuff, Spooky Stuff, Movie Hangout Stuff, Romantic Garden Stuff, Kids Room Stuff, Backyard Stuff, Vintage Glamour Stuff, Bowling Night Stuff, Fitness Stuff, Toddler Stuff
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Check contextual social menu interactions between Sims or autonomous interactions
What happens when the bug occurs? Romantic interactions are suggested in the social menu, or happen autonomously, even for Sims that don't match the active Sim's gender preference.
What do you expect to see? Gender preference should be taken into account. Romantic interactions should only be suggested in the social menu, or happen autonomously, on Sims that match the active Sim's gender preference.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Post November 15th Pets Patch

I've noticed an odd bug since the Pets patch. It used to be that when clicking on other Sims, within the contextual social menu (not the traditional one), romantic interactions were only listed on Sims that matched the active Sim's gender preference. For example, if my active Sim is a gay female, romantic interactions are only suggested on female Sims, and usually when the conversation is already flirtatious to begin with. Since the patch, I've been seeing romantic interactions suggested regardless of gender preference/mood/type of conversation. Autonomy is also affected: when Sims autonomously flirt with other Sims, gender preference isn't taken into account. It's especially bad during the Romance Festival. There's also a problem when I have a vampire Sim use Alluring Visage/Vampiric Charm. Pre-patch, the aura worked based on gender preference: for example, if a straight male vampire used Vampiric Charm, only straight females would be affected. Now, it affects everyone in the vicinity.

I thought this might have been caused by mods, but I tried emptying my Mods folder, and it still happens. I've already tried clearing my cache and repairing my game. Has anyone else noticed this issue?

Message 1 of 39 (16,515 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Gender Preference/Attraction Bug

[ Edited ]
Hero

Gender Preference now affects flirt options.

Fixed in 1.52.100

As this thread had a few instances posted, please create a new thread if something still doesn't work.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 39 of 39 (16,632 Views)

All Replies

Re: [UNSURE] Gender Preference/Attraction Bug

Champion

I have also noticed this happening since the November patch. My sims seemed more openly flirty, even with sims not matching their gender preferences.

i was also sure that I was seeing romantic actions auto suggested by the interaction menu that wouldn’t be there before for Sims they weren’t attracted to.

I’ve seen autonomy affected by this too, magnified at the Romance Festival. My sims there seem to flirt out of control now. Previously they’d visit as couples and flirt with each other. But now they will randomly flirt with anyone they are chatting with, including sims not matching their gender preferences.

Message 2 of 39 (16,369 Views)

★ Apprentice
I did some more testing, and you're right, autonomy is affected too. Edited my original post!
Message 3 of 39 (16,338 Views)

★ Guide

Yep, same! I noticed a LOT more autonomous flirting since the November patch, and while I don't really mind it does get tiring sometimes; I had a straight female suddenly built up a romantic bar with three female friends when I wasn't watching them - they were at a bar and there was no flirty atmosphere or anything... also have to watch couples closely, especially during the Romance festivals, because they will flirt so much! Thought it might have to do with the Flirty moodlet having become stronger, but my Sim autonomously flirted with others even when Very Tense. I can live with the extra flirting, but I really do wish gender preferences were held into account a bit more, because now all of my Sims seem to have become bisexual...

Message 4 of 39 (16,188 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I too am having this problem and it really messes up the gameplay. I have to continually rebuild married male/female romantic relationships because all of a sudden one or both have become bisexual. I think this can be fixed, but will it?

Message 5 of 39 (16,142 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
I have a vampire who has every reason to be straight, but when he uses alluring visage he attracts both sexes and they both flirt with him. And he responds positively. I have no problem with same sex relationships being in the game, but it should be a choice, and I knew they were going to have problems getting it implemented without stuff like this happening.
Message 6 of 39 (16,012 Views)

★★★★ Pro
I have always thought all Sims are bisexual and flirt with whoever you want. Since when is there a gender preference and how can it be set?
Message 7 of 39 (16,004 Views)

Champion

Sims have a hidden gender preference score, which you can see using mods. When they are first created, they have a 100% score for both male and female preference. If you play them and direct them towards a particular gender, the score increases for the one you chose, until eventually it can be 100% for one and 0% for the other.

If you leave a sim alone, such as a townie they can gradually form their own preference over time as they flirt autonomously on their own in the background.

Usually, before the patch, they would seem to follow this score and choose autonomous actions based off it. But now they don't.

Message 8 of 39 (15,986 Views)

★★ Expert
hmm... my Sims roll whims to flirt with their friends/acquaintances of genders that don't match their preference score, and have done so before the patch.
they also feel the need to flirt with acquaintances/near strangers, but that's a different thing. for my non-committal Sim, it's okay and i'll allow it. Tongue out
Message 9 of 39 (15,975 Views)

★★★★ Novice
I thought it worked great before too. Thanks for the explanation. I retested after the most recent patch ( Jan 2018) and the gender preference is still homosexual preference. I typically find my sim's spouse using the wishing well. Now I have to go through five to seven same sex partners before I get an opposite sex mate. Same sex partners are fine with me but it's getting tiresome for Bob Pancake to have so many boyfriends when he's married to Eliza and I constantly have to rebuild his marriage. Hopefully a fix will come soon.
Message 10 of 39 (15,973 Views)