by PugLove888

Original Post

Re: [OPEN] [GTW] No co-workers at science lab

★ Novice

I have the same problem Frown

Message 51 of 123 (3,627 Views)

Champion

@MapleSimmer,you gave a brilliant workaround to the problem! :eahigh_file:Heart  That should help a lot of people until EA fixes this bug! Angel

@crinrict, I don't know if this is related or not, but one day (I think it was the day that Tourists came to visit) a Sim showed up in everyday street clothes and ever since then he has stayed on as an employee … but still retains his street clothing! Raised eyebrow  Even when I use the Sim Ray on him to make him change clothes, he retains the same outfit! Large smile   All of my other coworkers are dressed in their lab clothes unless I use the Sim Ray on them to force them to change.  I do not remember if he replaced a former coworker, of if he was just simply added.Wondering  This isn't a big deal, but I thought it might be related to the problem that others are having with their coworkers.  Thinking

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 52 of 123 (3,592 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@PugLove888 wrote:

@crinrict, I don't know if this is related or not, but one day (I think it was the day that Tourists came to visit) a Sim showed up in everyday street clothes and ever since then he has stayed on as an employee … but still retains his street clothing! Raised eyebrow  Even when I use the Sim Ray on him to make him change clothes, he retains the same outfit! Large smile   All of my other coworkers are dressed in their lab clothes unless I use the Sim Ray on them to force them to change.

That happens if the sim is also a criminal generated by the game for detectives to catch. They are unable to change clothes and always forced to show everyday wear (except when they can change into hot or cold weather). You can also tell if they don’t show up in Manage Households, because criminals are also hidden from there. 

Doesn’t sound related to this bug. Although I don’t have this bug - co-workers and tourists show up fine in my game both before I got GF and now after I have GF.

Message 53 of 123 (3,564 Views)

★★★ Novice

Same problem here. Started a new game after the last patch came out but didn't get the last expansion pack, no co-workers in the lab 100% of time. Started another one  - meh, problem still there. HOWEVER I have a  very old save I haven't played for ages and when I loaded it - MAGIC! Lab works as intended. Whenever I'm back to new saves, the lab has a bug.

I so hope this can be solved.

Message 54 of 123 (3,499 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm also having this issue and, although I have many xpacs in common with other players here (get to work, get together, cats and dogs, city living, seasons, parenthood, vampires, spa day, outdoor retreat, kids room stuff, movie hangout stuff, perfect patio stuff, luxury party stuff) I'd like to hark back to the previous discussion about languages for the mod: My computer has both English and Simplified Chinese as language options(我的中文太好了!)

Of course, my game is in English, but I was wondering if it was possible to language settings on a computer could be conflicting with the game and potentially even causing this bug.

Message 55 of 123 (3,485 Views)

★ Novice

yea I was having this same problem, someone suggested buying get famous and now all of my coworkers are there. I wish they would of specified that you had to buy both so we would have to have all of this confusion, or just combined both games.

Message 56 of 123 (3,453 Views)

★★ Novice

I've got the same problem. No coworkers for the science career. I did manage to get a receptionist and one lab tech to show up by visiting a community lot in the desert and forcing the game to spawn in a bunch of new AI sims. But, beyond that, no one else has shown up. It's a bit frustrating. I have Get to Work, Seasons, and Cats and Dogs only. No cc or mods, no game packs or stuff packs.

Message 57 of 123 (3,446 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

From what I can see in the tuning files, the game is set to exclusively use unemployed NPCs as co-workers at the science lab.

If you don't have any spare unemployed young adult/adult/elder NPCs available, then you won't get any co-workers, because the game isn't set to generate completely new sims just to fill the job - only reuse existing ones that have never been met by your played sims before.

If you can get the game to generate new townies in any other way and fill up the unemployment pool, then it should be able to hire science lab co-workers from those.

You can also just make five or so sims of your own in CAS or download some from the Gallery and put them in the Other Households tab as unplayed sims in Manage Households and it should use them.

Message 58 of 123 (3,437 Views)

★★★ Novice
Sorry, can't agree that the favorites tab has something to do with it.
Whenever I first send my sim to the Police station or the Hospital for the first day of work, the game immediately generates a bunch of new folks as soon as the sim enters the lot. This is how the co-workers have always been generated, indeed existing one townies can be used by the game, but basically it should auto-create them with no problems when everything works as intended.
Message 59 of 123 (3,393 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Shaere wrote:
Sorry, can't agree that the favorites tab has something to do with it.
Whenever I first send my sim to the Police station or the Hospital for the first day of work, the game immediately generates a bunch of new folks as soon as the sim enters the lot. This is how the co-workers have always been generated, indeed existing one townies can be used by the game, but basically it should auto-create them with no problems when everything works as intended.

Using the other active careers as examples isn't comparable.

The tuning files for hiring of police and hospital co-workers include a sim template, so that if no unemployed townies are available, it will generate new ones right there to fill the roles. But the scientist file I looked at does not include any template at all - it exclusively only wants to reuse sims that the game has already. It doesn't have the ability to auto-create.

This is the bottom of the police officer NPC filter: It includes a line with a template chooser that lets it auto-create sims if needed. If it can find a compatible unemployed unimportant townie, it will repurpose that instead of creating a new sim.

<T n="_template_chooser">109427<!--templateChooser_DetectiveCareer_Officer--></T>
  <V n="repurpose_terms" t="use_specific_sims">
    <T n="use_specific_sims">113938<!--filter_Unimportant_NoCareer--></T>
  </V>
  <T n="use_weighted_random">True</T>

This is the bottom of the scientist co-worker filter: It has no template for auto-creation of new sims, only the ability to repurpose unimportant unemployed townies.

<V n="repurpose_terms" t="use_specific_sims">
    <T n="use_specific_sims">113938<!--filter_Unimportant_NoCareer--></T>
  </V>
  <T n="use_weighted_random">True</T>

This is either how it's always worked and nobody noticed until now, or something changed. The game should always have unemployed sims available - the tuning indicates that there's a 80% employment ratio that the game tries to maintain, and always leave 20% of the population unemployed. But either people are using mods to supress townie generation or they keep deleting townies from Manage Households because they don't like them. Or there's so many sims in the game these days that culling kicks into overdrive?

EDIT: or the townies are invalid - if they've been met by other sims and have been around for a while, then the game ignores them. It only likes hiring complete new strangers for some reason.

To fix this, they can probably just add a basic sim generation template for scientist co-workers. Or, if someone with this issue can test it, go visit a few bars the night before your scientist has to go to work, and see if any of the new barflys the game generates at bars end up being hired as scientist co-workers / download a bunch of gallery sims and put them into the other households tab / create five unplayed sims in CAS.

Message 60 of 123 (3,384 Views)