[FIXED] [DU] Troubles getting/keeping roommates

by amywatt27

Original Post

Re: [UNSURE] [DU] Troubles getting/keeping roommates

★★★ Apprentice

I figured out that roommates can't take care of their needs during super speed. At least when in an apartment, not an actual dorm. The guy was starving, sat down to eat a salad. As soon as my sim went to work he immediately stopped and started playing on his phone for hours while also starting to stink. So I slowed it down to 1x speed and then he walked over and started showering. Then I set it to super speed again and he immediately hopped out and just stood there again. I tested this over and over again. Always the same.

Message 51 of 108 (1,561 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

By accident I stumbled into <M n="services.roommate_service" s="12166126280697567296"> in Sims 4 Studio. (Say thanks to LittleMsSam, as I only wanted to increase the roommates limit from 20 to 40 :-)

The reason for wanting to leave is <E n="key">MOTIVE_DISTRESS</E> (I hope). So what I did: I removed that block. Atm I am playing as a Student in a University home. So I did not test. Some feedback if it works would be good.

I've left the other reasons in the file. These are:

<E n="key">AGE_UP</E>

<E n="key">LOW_ENERGY</E>

<E n="key">OVERCAPACITY</E>

<E n="key">PREGNANCY</E>

What files can be uploaded here. No package no zip?

I've uploaded it to the Nexus: <link removed by CM>

Message 52 of 108 (1,513 Views)

★ Guide

My non-university roommates also disappear regularly. Even tho they have everything to satisfy their needs.

I'm not sure why developers decided to punish players(!) for poorly coded AI incapable to eat, sleep and do other important things when needed, but it was a terrible idea.

Message 53 of 108 (1,414 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm having the exact same problem, I play on ps4 and im onto my 4th roommate now and everytime it's the exact same thing, they have needs that arent being met but they have a bed that they have access too, a fridge and 3 bathrooms and they're still not happy. They always leave within a couple of hours of agreeing to be roommates

Message 54 of 108 (1,377 Views)

Re: [OPEN] [DU] Roommates complain and leave after 24 hours

★ Apprentice

Thanks except it’s definitely a bug because I’m on a residential lot. I should be able to have a stove. Thankfully my sim is a spellcaster and never actually cooks for herself.

Message 55 of 108 (1,342 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I keep getting these "I have needs..." Messages from roommates. The REALLY annoying thing is, it's happening while I am in a dorm. Unlike TS3 you can't edit anything. I have no idea how to better their needs. The dorms are much smaller than the ones in TS3. So even if you use the cheat code for build/buy mode, there's not exactly a lot of room to add stuff. Another thing, is anyone else having issues with their roommates leaving their trash everywhere? My sims dorm is FILLED with stinky rotten food. I clean it up but it's like shoveling snow while it's still snowing....POINTLESS! The creators didn't put a lot of thought into this one. 

Message 56 of 108 (1,300 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@SweetEmotion247 Please try to keep the room as clean as possible, and have your sim socialize with the roommate. Check for what social interactions are available. If your roommate is leaving trash you should get the option to talk to her about not leaving trash, or something to that effect. If she is showing random public affection you should have an option showing in interactions to talk to her about not showing random public affection, etc.  Make sure you check as quickly as possible after they do the action for the social interactions while it's still there (like you would with a toddler/child/pet). These options may pop up under 'roommate' or in the regular social area, I don't remember, but keep track of your social options and relationship. If you 'get to know' the roommate, interact, and do what you can to make sure things are tidy, pleasant, and you are getting along this will help. Repair and upgrade items as needed and helpful.

It's also helpful to make sure they have surfaces they can put their junk on. They usually bring their own lamp, a pile of books, a plant, maybe a camera or statue, etc., and they will be unhappy if there's no area to put these things near their bed/designated area/bedroom.

Good luck! 🤞🏻

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 57 of 108 (1,282 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I will try to do that but I don't know which sim is doing it. I have a feeling it's more than one. There's so many of them in the dorm. I'm busy taking care of my sim, and then all of sudden there's multiple plates and trash all over the place. I used the cas cheat on a couple roommates and added a clean trait. But I don't know if that will do anything. 

Message 58 of 108 (1,259 Views)

Champion

@SweetEmotion247 I doubt you'll get the interactive options coming up for 'talk about' correction things for anyone but your roommate(s). I've dealt with a number of roommates but all of mine have been in a regular house, not a dorm. Your main concern in a dorm, I would assume, would be the room you share with any sim that is considered your roommate. It would be a good idea to do what you can to clean up the common space, but I would assume that isn't the first priority. 🤔 (I've seen videos of sims in dorms. Wow - slobs!😱) Clever idea giving the neat trait to some of the little rascals. 👍

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 59 of 108 (1,244 Views)

★ Apprentice

I think ultimately the problem is the roommate ai is just so flawed and has been since they released it, and they haven't addressed it at all or even said "hey we're working on this right now". We've had so many patches since the roommate system got introduced and no fixes for it. I can no longer play on pc since my laptop died, but i've been playing the base game on ps4 and still seeing some of the same glitches i saw on pc (unfulfilled social interactions being stuck in the action queue, being unable to invite neighbors in during the welcome wagon event, etc). Part of me wonders if they're giving up on optimizing the sims 4 experience so they can sell sims 5 when that comes out, or at least because they're too busy developing it to devote time to 4, which would also explain the fiasco with the 20th anniversary patch.

TLDR: We may never get a solution to the roommate problems

Message 60 of 108 (1,238 Views)