Re: [OPEN] [DU] Troubles getting/keeping roommates

by Theenaabeenaa

Original Post

★★ Novice

I had the same problem last night so I deleted some objects so that the sim can take care of himself. The house was built with cheat codes and custom content and I deleted the custom content fridge and the sim thanked me for accommodating him with his needs met.

Message 61 of 108 (1,486 Views)

★ Novice

I have lost the ability to place adds or ask for roommates. It used to work fine and now no matter how many extra beds there are it keeps telling me that i don't have enough beds. I usually use MC Command Center as my only MOD. I uninstalled it and the problem still remains.

So... ME Too!

Message 62 of 108 (1,443 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@darkspy300 If you want to test if the your Mod/CC was the issue please try the following:

Spoiler

Please try the following in this exact order without skipping any steps, even if you’ve done some of these steps already:

• Exit your game then exit Origin. Drag the Mods folder from your 'The Sims 4' folder onto your desktop (for future reference) then delete the localthumbnailcache.package file in your 'The Sims 4' folder. Also delete any other folders in the 'Sims 4' folder with word cache in the name. (When you restart the game it will automatically create a new Mods folder.)
  • Next please run a game repair [ Open Origin, click 'Game Library' then right-click Sims 4 > Repair Game ]. Make sure to let it run until it has completed all repairs (it will do the base-game first, then run through each of your expansions/packs).

Do not re-add any or your Mods or CC at this time. Please then restart your game and see if the issue is present.

If this fixes the issue you can re-add your Mods/CC one at a time to see which were conflicting with the function/causing the glitch - but do not re-add the old config file from the old mods folder, as it is possible for it to have become corrupted.
SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 63 of 108 (1,436 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I saw another answer in here pointing out roommates want space to put their things, specifically surfaces with empty decor spots. This does appear to be why one of my roommates left because I didn't fix the surfaces issue well enough (the nightstand in his room was not next to the bed and there were very few empty decor spots) and why another roommate complained but then said she was happier and stayed after I gave her a Tabula Rasa Console Table by her windows (weirdly enough, she has no nightstand at all and hasn't actually put anything on the new console table in quite a few game days). I'm thinking it's a specific number of empty decor spots they want, as opposed to the type (nightstand, dresser top, etc).

The other answer pointed out having a desk in each room; I have no desks in roommate rooms and ever since fixing the one guy's blank decor spots and the lady's shelving issue, everything has been fine.

Message 64 of 108 (1,375 Views)
Highlighted

★ Guide

Yep! Same here. They just stand around, play an instrument, sit in a chair until their needs are low and even when they have the thought bubble, they do not take care of their needs, they just complain staying dirty or hungry. Sometimes they will stop doing an action but then just do something else that isn’t taking care of their needs or even making them worse. I can only resolve this with the make happy cheat. Resetting them doesn’t help.

The house I’m living in used to be a university house that I converted to residential. I repaired my game hoping it would resolve but now 3 of the roommates who always took care of themselves before this change are starting to stop taking care of themselves.

Message 65 of 108 (1,280 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@TheenaabeenaaYou may want to read through the thread and get some information on workarounds for now - things that people have done in their game that seemed to help. Also, if your roommates are doing worse recently than they did previously and if you have Mods/CC it would be good to check those, as patches in the game have the possibility of causing a new conflict with a Mod/CC. (I put directions for checking Mods/CC in comment #63 on this thread, if you need them.)

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 66 of 108 (1,271 Views)

★ Guide

Thanks! I just wanted to contribute to the thread in addition to clicking "Me Too!"

Message 67 of 108 (1,192 Views)

★ Novice

I was having the same issue!  Then I tried talking with the roommate Sim and became good friends with him, the roommate Sim then said something like "all my needs have been met, I will be staying."  I'm not sure if this will work for you or not! 🤷‍♀️

Message 68 of 108 (1,116 Views)

roommates never respond to ad

★★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.62.67.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Discover University, Seasons, City Living, Get Together, Get to Work, Parenthood, Dine Out, Spa Day, Laundry Day, Toddler Stuff, Bowling Night, Vintage Glamor, Backyard Stuff, Kid room Stuff, Movie Night, Cool kitchen stuff, Perfect Patio stuff, Luxury party stuff, Holiday celebration pack
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? have a sim in a house with an extra bed an place an ad for a roommate
What happens when the bug occurs? never get any responses to my roommate ads, no matter how may extra beds there are
What do you expect to see? potential roommates come to lot to respond to ad
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. discover university

just started a fresh save, as my other has ongoing lock issues... and figured it was that, but no. i still am not getting any npc sim showing up to be a roommate

Message 69 of 108 (1,109 Views)

Re: roommates never respond to ad

★★★ Expert

@Gutzyella I've been having this same problem ever since I started playing DU late last year. In several different game saves, both with and without mods, I've never had a single NPC respond to a roommates wanted ad. It works fine for most people but I have not been able to figure out why it won't work for me. My only work-around has been to ask NPC's directly if they'd like to move in as a roommate. If they are homeless and not already in a household with other Sims they usually say yes and move in. I've had four long-term roommates in my games with no other problems than the expected random quirks they get from the roommate hidden traits system.

Here is a link to an open bug report where this issue has been merged with other roommate problems:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-DU-Troubles-getting-keeping-roommates/td-p/8441707

Message 70 of 108 (1,089 Views)