Re: Ghostwriter Disappearing Desktop literally disappears

by crinrict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED] Computer disappears

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

I have three of the Ghostwriter Disappearing Desktops in my household, but one has vanished.  I've tried repaing the game, moving the desk, changing appearance, travelling, looking in the family inventory, etc...with no luck.  I've tried everything I can think of, really.  Is this supposed to happen or is it a bug?...or did the ghost of my founder steal it?  Is that even possible?  I can place new objects where the computer once was, so it's clearly completely gone.

I use no mods or CC, nor have I ever used the Gallery.

Message 1 of 49 (7,618 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [FIXED] Computer disappears

Hero

Computers will no longer disappear when a Sim attempts to use the "Extract Fossil” interaction.
  • Yep, there was a chance the computer would fade out of existence.

This issue was fixed in Patch 1.40.61

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 49 of 49 (6,575 Views)

All Replies

Hero

This sounds like one of these random glitches that are hard to duplicate. Does it happen on a regular basis or was it just that one incident ? Do you remember what you were doing when it was gone ? Did you just reload the game ? Came back from traveling or were just playing on your lot ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 49 (7,528 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

One incident.  I'm doing a 100 Baby Challenge, so I mostly can't leave the home lot, but I possibly went to the map, through manage worlds, to move out a just turned young adult sim, and upon coming back, the computer was gone.  Actually, that might be exactly what happened.  I don't think the sim was using it at the moment, if you were wondering.  He was probably standing next to his birthday cake. Wink  However, another sim possibly could have been using it.  I'll see if it happens again if I have a sim using a new one when I go to move out a sim.

Edit:  Nope, that isn't a cause.  Maybe he was using it himself...I'll test that out later.  Update: That's not it, either...

Message 3 of 49 (7,525 Views)

Hero

I'll leave it off the list for now since it was only one time.

Do feel free to bump the thread if it occurs again.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 4 of 49 (7,518 Views)

★★★ Newbie

The same thing happened to me, but I assumed it was meant to 'disappear' when not needed or something due to the name.

But nope, ironically it seems to be gone for good.

My Sim had been practicing programming for a few hours to get his level up for a promotion.

My other Sim was feeling lonely, so I told him to go up and chat to someone online.

As he was walking up the stairs, I told the programming Sim to stop.

I took my eyes off them both for a second and, by the time the other sim reached the study, the PC was gone.

We were both pretty confused. It wasn't in anyone's inventories and it hadn't been moved anywhere else in the house.

I haven't used the gallery or been online either.

Message 5 of 49 (7,499 Views)

Hero

Did you also check the family inventory ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 6 of 49 (7,496 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Yep, I've checked everywhere. It's gone for good.

It wasn't sold, moved or stored anywhere.

I ended up just replacing it with the next best PC, which has been fine.

A number of indoor and outdoor items have done the same, but they've all been minor bugs and have found their way back to the family inventory in the end.

Message 7 of 49 (7,493 Views)

Hero

I'm going to add this then

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 8 of 49 (7,490 Views)

★ Apprentice

Had this happen to my sims as well. I thought it was just a fun thing, and it would reappear (because the description tells you it's a "disappearing" desktop) but it didn't. 

Finally placed the computer from the Scientist career on the empty desk. 

Message 9 of 49 (7,371 Views)

★ Apprentice

Another occurance! 

I started up a new Sim today, and furnished her house quite cheaply. That's why she has the "How Low Can You Go" desktop computer instead of a more expensive model.

She wanted to collect a postcard, so I'd gained a pen pal in Barnacle Bay (first penpal) and she had already written a letter and practiced her writing. This one Sim night, the option to request a postcard finally appeared, so I told her to do so.

Sim sits down at the computer, and the computer fades away and disappeares!

It's not in her inventory and I was too late to capture it, but it happened again. 

Message 10 of 49 (7,361 Views)