Re: [TO TEST] Skill building levels up two skills for teen (and resets one)

by crinrict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED] Completing Child Aspiration Resets Learned Adult Skills

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.48.94.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Romantic Garden, Grim's Ghoulish Guitar, Holiday Celebration Pack
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Complete childhood aspiration Whiz Kid, leveling Mental skill to lvl 10 (unlocks adult Logic, Video Gaming and Fishing skills). Choose new aspiration Rambunctious Scamp. Complete final step of Rambunctious Scamp (lvl 10 motor skill) by playing child game Keyboard Commander.
What happens when the bug occurs? Adult skill Video Gaming will appropriately increase in levels while playing the game, also increasing the child Motor skills level. When child completes Rambunctious Scamp aspiration, the game resets the Video Gaming skill to level 1. (Resetting the adult skills on completion of additional childhood aspirations happens with all of them, but this is the easiest way to see it.)
What do you expect to see? Adult skill levels earned as bonuses for completing childhood aspirations retain their levels when completing additional childhood aspirations. They should give the appropriate head start to adult skill levels, and not reset every time a new aspiration is completed.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

This has always happened for me, but I haven't had any children in game until after the Dec 13 2018 GF patch, so hard to know if a particular patch caused it or not. Working on a legacy challenge, I hadn't paid a lot of attention to the previous times except for the "I thought that skill was leveled?". It just really became apparent with my newest child; I made it a goal to get through all 4 childhood aspirations and get a really good head start on the adult skills, as this guy is going to be my heir.

This time, it was very apparent on the video gaming skill because he was playing a video game at the time. I got a notice that he had reached level 6 of video gaming, then completed the aspiration, then "unlocked the video gaming skill" and it reset to zero. Attaching screen shots of the messages. These screenshots were taken at the same time, notice that reaching video game level 6 happened 46 minutes before, then the message that the skill was unlocked happened 6 minutes before, right after he reached level 10 on motor skills.

Message 1 of 17 (2,941 Views)

Accepted Solution

Hero

Child Sims will now be able to unlock the Video Gaming Skill after they have maxed out their Mental Skill instead of their Motor Skill, which was causing adult skills to reset for Child Sims when they completed aspirations.

Fixed in Patch 1.63.133/ Console 1.25

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 17 of 17 (2,970 Views)

All Replies

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Completing Child Aspiration Resets Learned Adult Skills

Hero
added

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 17 (2,842 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Completing Child Aspiration Resets Learned Adult Skills

Hero (Retired)

Had this happen with another child. Leveling the Motor skill by playing Keyboard Commander, which increases both Motor skill and Video Game skill (which was unlocked by completing the Whiz Kid aspiration). As soon as the Motor skill reaches level 10 - thus completing the Rambunctious Scamp aspiration - the Video Game skill resets to level 1.

Attached is a video of it happening.

Message 3 of 17 (2,818 Views)

[TO TEST] Skill building levels up two skills for teen (and resets one)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.50.67.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? City Living, Get Famous
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have a child OR teen sim play a skill-building game on the PC.
What happens when the bug occurs? Whichever levels up first (videogaming or logic), the latter will reset to 0% progress
What do you expect to see? I expect the progress of the other skill to not be lost upon leveling of the first.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I'm noticing that when my child OR teen sim is playing a skill building game on the PC, they're leveling both Videogaming AND Logic simultaneously.

That's great! However, the problem is when one of those skills reaches 100% and levels up, the other skill resets to 0% progress, instead of holding and continuing from it's current progress point.

for example, if videogaming levels up first, their progress on their logic skill is reset to 0% and starts over.

Message 4 of 17 (2,832 Views)

Hero
Don't think you should get both in the first place.

There's a similar thread for this that I can't find atm.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 5 of 17 (2,820 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Sounds like  the same issue as this report: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-Completing-Child-Aspiration-Resets-Learned-Adult/m...

I hadn't noticed it with teens yet; will keep an eye out for it. It makes sense to me that both should level at the same time, if you have previously unlocked the adult skill. Maybe that is not the intent - however, it absolutely is the intent to be able to level the adult skill once you've maxed out the associated child skill. There should not be any resetting to zero on a skill that has been already been unlocked. 

It's particularly frustrating with the skill cheats disabled; there's no way to reset it to correct skill level.

Message 6 of 17 (2,797 Views)
Highlighted

Hero
Thanks. Thought there was also an older one.

I'll merge

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 17 (2,794 Views)

★★ Apprentice
If it's not meant to be leveling both at the same time then videogaming should be restricted to young adults and older to prevent this issue. I don't see how resetting to 0% progress is intended behavior.
Message 8 of 17 (2,762 Views)

★★ Apprentice

By the way, the skill LEVEL doesn't reset to zero, just the progress on it's current level.

The issue is similar to the thread this has been merged with, but not exactly the same.

Message 9 of 17 (2,721 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Still no further response?

Message 10 of 17 (2,533 Views)