Re: [TROUBLESHOOT] Sims cannot marry

by AmallaeLennon

Original Post

Hero
@mokiekie You need to ask all Sims you have a relationship with to only be friends (except the one you want to marry)

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 71 of 136 (1,955 Views)

Unable to marrya sim in your employ??

★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? unsure
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All but the newest and the magic one
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? My sim cant marry her boyfriend . she is a level 10 entertainer and he is a level 4 actor
What happens when the bug occurs? unable to complete marriage
What do you expect to see? Marriage lol
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Unable to marry sims due to being in an employ?

Message 72 of 136 (1,960 Views)

Re: Unable to marrya sim in your employ??

★★★ Apprentice

Is your sim in other relationships? If so, they need to Break Up or Ask to be Friends with everyone else before they can get married. Check the actor boyfriend and make sure he's not dating someone else as well.

Message 73 of 136 (1,951 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Oh Is this a new thing? I didnt think it mattered. Thank you Standard smile

Message 74 of 136 (1,935 Views)

Hero
@krae64825 Merged your post with existing thread on this.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 75 of 136 (1,913 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Can't get married because Sim works for me

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Not sure.  It is affecting one sim, but not others in the same household, in my save.  I haven't encountered it before.
What is your current game version number? 1.59.73.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? IL, S, CD, GTW, JA, VGSP, PPSP, Hoilday Celebration Pack
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Try to get married, but there's more to it than that, I just don't know what. 
What happens when the bug occurs? I get the message "Marrying a sim in your employ would be inappropriate. Dismiss them from their role to further pursue a relationship."
What do you expect to see? Being able to get married
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? I've never had any mods or CC for Sims 4 or for any other sims game on this PC
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Not sure, I don't think so. 

I'm playing a sim as a black widow.  At the end of November I was waiting for her husband (spouse #3)to starve to death.  She was also working on her serial romantic Aspiration. I took a break until after Christmas, since I was just too busy.  After Christmas, her husband died, she married a wife (spouse #4), who drowned.  I'm pretty sure she finished Serial Romantic, while I was waiting for the wife to drown.  She tried to remarry and it said "Marrying a sim in your employ would be inappropriate. Dismiss them from their role to further pursue a relationship." when I hovered over the greyed out option. I checked and he was a Moon Mercenary at SpaceY (Astronaut/Interstellar Smuggler level 8) (She's in the Science career level 8).

I tried clicking on him and choosing to elope.  I tried placing a wedding arch and choosing elope on that or plan a wedding on that.  In all those cases it was grayed out and gave me the message when I hovered over it.  I asked him to join the household, then had him initiate the wedding in all those ways and it was available, the action would queue, but then when it was time for him to do it it wouldn't move from the queue to the active item, it would just disappear.  I had him quit his job, but it continued giving the error.  I did not have her quit her career, because I'm doing a challenge and need her to complete it.  I tried being friends with him and proposing to someone else and and had the same issue with the new fiance (Mail Carrier at Mail & Packages Inc.).

Her brother (part of the same household) met, flirted, proposed and married his wife while I was struggling with all this for her.  He did not get error message.  He also has not done the serial romantic aspiration.  He has not so much as flirted with any other sims before this.

If needed, I have backed up and zipped up my saves and auto-backups for this.  I have from when I was waiting for the wife to drown (and the brother hadn't met his wife) up until shortly after everything tried here.

Just loaded it up again to get the exact wording of the error message, and now she can elope with the guy she couldn't before (the mail carrier).  I loaded the .ver0 auto-backup played it the extra 4 hours to get over the wife drowning, proposed and still can't marry in that one.  I'm going to submit this anyway because I did have the issue and maybe my info will help solve it.

Message 76 of 136 (1,880 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Can't get married because Sim works for me

Hero (Retired)

Hi @Kylynara - This bug is more like a wrong message - usually, it has nothing to do with their jobs but that one of the sims has other romantic partners and the game won't let them get married.

Does your Serial Romantic sim still have boyfriends or girlfriends listed under your relationship tab (check the romantic relationships part). If there is anyone listed there, invite them over and then "Ask to be Friends". Then try to get married again. You might have to do the same thing with the fiance, too. Especially since you were able to marry the one sim after a while. He may have had a romantic relationship that degraded over time, and now they're no longer romantic, which would free him up to get married.

There are some sims that you can't marry - service sims (like maids, butlers, full-time gardeners, your sim's restaurant employees), some pre-made sims like Alex Moyer & the sages from RoM, or being the leader of a club that both sims belong to. I thought that mail carriers were included in the service sims list, but you said that you were able to marry the mail carrier so now I'm not sure about that. 

I know that I had to spend quite some time with my Serial Romantic sim, inviting all of his girlfriends over and asking to be "just friends". For some reason, I was still unable to get him to marry his fiance until I had saved and logged out of the game for an evening. I don't know why it took some time like that, it doesn't make any sense, but just some additional info for you. In the case of clubs, it's been said that if you ask the fiance' to just be friends, then romance them back up and get engaged again, it will work.

I hope this helps!

Message 77 of 136 (1,854 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

This is a really inconvenient workaround when both sims trying to get married have previously completed the serial romantic aspiration.

Some of my previous partners were still in their teen phase and on a negative romantic relationship status.... so I didn't have the option to ask to be friends or increase their romance enough to get this option to appear... apparently you can't ask to be friends when their romantic relationship is in the red zone?? And an adult can't romance a teen... This meant having to use relationship cheats first... it completely ruined my sims wedding day ;P

Are there plans to fix this soon?

And my sims should be able to get married even if they are in love with several other sims! How am I going to play out my tragic romance story where my poor sim is forced to marry the sim of her father's choosing while she is desperately in love with another?!

(Posts merged by CM)

Message 78 of 136 (1,795 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have the same issue. My Sim completed the Serial Romantic aspiration, now he's chosen the Family aspiration, and I cannot get him married. 

This is quite frustrating. It's so time consuming to call up 20 of previous romantic relationships just to become friends with them and then being able to get married. 

Is no one working on a solution for this?

Message 79 of 136 (1,754 Views)

Marrying a Sim in your employ would be inappropriate.

★★★ Newbie

My sim cannot marry his fiance, the error is saying "Marrying a Sim in your employ would be inappropriate.  Dismiss them from their role to further pursue a relationship."  But they're engaged?  And she is not his employee.  This started after the update.

Message 80 of 136 (1,731 Views)