by Phantomlover1717

Original Post

[TO TEST] Stairs disappear from view in upper level

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.47.51.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All EP's, GP's, SP's, and Free Stuff
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? This bug occurs when you place a set of stairs connecting to an upper level and there is either: a) open-to-below space around the stairs b) no actual room above where the stairs connect to the upper level, and the stairs themselves are in a room where the upper floor/ceiling has been removed
What happens when the bug occurs? The stairs will either partially or completely disappear from view, with the exception of the top step always being in view. Occasionally, the stairs will flicker in and out of view with camera movement. Sims can still use the stairs, but will also disappear.
What do you expect to see? The stairs solid, regardless of what level they are viewed from or the existence (or non existence) of a room/floor around them. Also, sims not disappearing on invisible stairs.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Following the patch on November 20th, 2018.

The video above is of the bug as it occurs in my game. You can see that while the stairs are located in a closed room, with no open-to-below space, they function normally. The issue becomes when you create open-to-below space (only immediately next to them), or remove the room above them altogether, leaving only open space, but they are still located in a room below (where the stairs lead up from).

Message 11 of 80 (4,753 Views)

Re: Objects on lower levels disappearing when on upper level

★ Novice

thanks for the fast reply~

Here's some screenshots. (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s3j6obr7bk2w46s/AABaGsSxoKR7CAqaAEOSTXy_a?dl=0)

as you can see the first floor looks normal, but as you go up floors things start popping in and out as the camera is rotated, even the staircase. The first screenshot is actually the bottom of the open area, so you can see how much is actually missing

It's happening on all my houses Frown

Message 12 of 80 (4,777 Views)

Re: Objects on lower levels disappearing when on upper level

Ah I see what you mean! Yeah you shouldn't see a garden in your apartment like that. I'll tag @BryonyRae to check this one out. 

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 13 of 80 (4,759 Views)

Certain Lots Cannot Display Double Height Rooms Properly (Invisible Objects)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.47.51.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Digital Deluxe, City Living, Get To Work, Get Together, Spa Day, Laundry Day, Perfect Patio, Holiday Celebration, Grim's Guitar
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? The lot I know of is "1 Torendi Tower Penthouse", granted I have only checked 2 lots for this, the other one being the 64x64 lot in the Get Together world which did NOT have this problem. For all I know a whole lot of lots have this same issue, but I don't know. So, pick the Torendi Tower Penthouse in any save of the game and place a room down on any level higher than the "ground floor" then delete the floor with the bulldozer tool, opening up the ceiling for the room below and enabling you to see into the room that is below the room you just placed.
What happens when the bug occurs? Furniture/sims/stairs/doors are invisible when viewed from the higher floor of the double height space.
What do you expect to see? I expect to see the furniture/sims/stairs/doors below, like I used to be able to before an update broke it.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. The game update that came just before Get Famous was released is what broke this for me. It worked fine before this.

- Furniture that is below the open ceiling/deleted floor will be invisible when viewed from the upper level. Sometimes, /some/ of the furniture is visible (but not in my personal save, just a random one I opened to check the issue), but some is still invisible.

- This includes any stairs that you have placed where the floor above them has been deleted (for example, if you have an indoor balcony and stairs that lead down into a double height room, you can not see the stairs anymore if you are viewing the upper portion/balcony of the double height space).

- Sims will be invisible.

- Doors will be invisible.

- Sims and furniture DO cast shadows, AND can still be clicked on. They are also visible fine when viewed from the floor level that they are actually placed on, just when you move the camera up (eg. if you have an indoor balcony or a double height ceiling) they are suddenly gone.

Attached images show a hole I put in the floor of the lot that is already built when you open a new game. In the one where it is viewed from the higher level, you cannot see the counters/pot rack/etc, but in the image where it is viewed from the floor the counters are placed on, they are clearly still there.

11-23-18_8-29-49 PM.png

11-23-18_8-29-50 PM.png

Ways I have attempted to fix this:

- Turning laptop mode on and off.

- Raising various graphical settings.

- Removing all of my mods.

And as I have said, some lots actually still work fine for me, so I know it is not a graphical thing.

I should also add that no matter what level your camera is set at, everything still looks fine when viewed through windows. With this visual glitch, it's almost as if the floor is still technically in the way somehow, even though it has been deleted, as you can see nothing through it.

EDIT: Augh I just found that someone else already posted this, I read all the items in the compiled lists first but I guess I should have stalked the forums myself as well.

Message 14 of 80 (4,806 Views)

Re: Certain Lots Cannot Display Double Height Rooms Properly (Invisible Objects)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Hi @Ardnaxela56

I merged your posts.

Buy/Build has a separate list and as BryonyRae is very tied up with RL (she's a volunteer helper like me), stuff being added to her list is slow atm).

I'm so bad at building myself and have no clue what she already has and what not so I'm staying out of these threads and refrain from adding anything.

So yeah, if you're reporting anything building/lighting/textures, it's best to also skim the forum

Thank you

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 15 of 80 (4,789 Views)

Re: [TO TEST] Stairs disappear from view in upper level

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I also had this issue with one of the Apartments in San Myshuno, I couldn't figure out how to fix it until I read your post.

@Taetdris wrote:

Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? This bug occurs when you place a set of stairs connecting to an upper level and there is either: a) open-to-below space around the stairs b) no actual room above where the stairs connect to the upper level, and the stairs themselves are in a room where the upper floor/ceiling has been removed

It is this line that helped me to fix it. Use the *Custom Room Tool* to build a room around the area that is uncovered, this will bring the stairs back and you can delete the parts of the walls you do not need. I have attached two images to show you what I mean. Hope this helps Standard smile

*The stairs do appear normally in screenshots even when they do not appear in game*

11-23-18_11-34-16 AM.png

*After building the room with the Custom Room Tool and tracing any walls, the stairs return in game as they should*

11-23-18_11-34-21 AM.png

Message 16 of 80 (4,724 Views)

Re: [TO TEST] Stairs disappear from view in upper level

★★ Novice

That seemed to work- thank you so much!

It took a bit of trickery using the same method to be able to get rid of the roof above my stairs altogether without them disappearing again. To explain a bit better, I'm building a celebrities only area in the Sky Lounge in San Myshuno. I've got the stairs are walled off in their own room, but the area above the stairs is just open to the sky and not covered by a roof. I was able to surround the ceiling with a half wall and delete it, without it harming my stairs again.

All is well now!

Message 17 of 80 (4,706 Views)

Unable to See Objects Below a Level

★ Apprentice

For some reason I cannot view objects/sims/doors/etc when on a higher level, I need to investigate further, but I think this may be specific to San Myshuno apartments/penthouses (testing and will update). IE, I have a big open staircase and cannot view whats going on down below (see image). Its almost as if its a low end graphics setting, but all my graphics settings default to high (running on a GTX 1060).

Message 18 of 80 (4,706 Views)
Highlighted

Re: Unable to See Objects Below a Level

It sounds like this known bug:
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/TO-TEST-Problem-with-rendering-furniture-in-multilevel/m-p/718...

I'll just tag @BryonyRae to have a peek when she has time. 

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 19 of 80 (4,694 Views)

Re: Certain Lots Cannot Display Double Height Rooms Properly (Invisible Objects)

Hero (Retired)

Merged with pre-existing reports for this issue.  It is on the list.

Message 20 of 80 (4,693 Views)