Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED] [CD] (Smart) Dog will not go potty unless directed

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All except Toddler Stuff
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Wait for a dog to "go potty" on their own, without being directed
What happens when the bug occurs? I have an adult Irish Setter with Active (default for breed), Friendly, and Smart traits, who was added to an existing family as a puppy in CAS. She's been an adult for at least a Sim week, and she will still not "Go Potty" on her own. She never goes when taken for a walk either. She whines in misery until one of my Sims directs her to go. (When clicking "What's Wrong?" it's always potty; she is well-fed and played with frequently.) It seems that this problem might be tied to the "Smart" trait, ironically, as other players have reported it on the forums here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/929148/do-adult-dogs-ever/p1
What do you expect to see? Dog should eventually learn to "go potty" on their own, as the "What's Wrong?" pop-up says they should.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

Adult dog won't learn to "go potty" on their own. Reported by a number of players on the forums: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/929148/do-adult-dogs-ever/p1

ETA: I installed doggy doors when my dog was still a puppy, and she lets herself out to run around, she just won't "go potty" unless specifically directed.

Message 1 of 35 (16,067 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [OPEN] [CD] (Smart) Dog will not go potty unless directed

Hero

• Smart Dogs will no longer whimper at an unlocked door when nature calls.

Fixed in Patch 1.37.35

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 35 of 35 (16,510 Views)

All Replies

Re: Dog will not go potty unless directed

Hero

Mine got a message that they can now do it on their own after about 5 times directing them.

Did you ever get that message ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 35 (15,980 Views)

★★ Guide

I don't recall getting that message. But a "Smart" dog surely shouldn't take over a week to learn how to pee on their own? The OP on the forum thread says it's been two weeks and their dog still hasn't learned.

Message 3 of 35 (15,976 Views)

Hero

Maybe there's something wrong with the smart trait as there's another report that they also won't lie down when directed.

Could you try another dog with the smart trait to see if they have the same issue ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 4 of 35 (15,971 Views)

★★ Guide

At least four different players in the forum thread at http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/929148/do-adult-dogs-ever/ said their "Smart" dogs had this same problem.

Message 5 of 35 (15,966 Views)

Hero

Do they do other things ? Lie on the bed when directed ? Learn to not drink from toilet and puddles and that sort of stuff ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 6 of 35 (15,957 Views)

Re: [TO TEST] [CD] (Smart) Dog will not go potty unless directed

★★ Novice

I have this same issue with a Smart trait dog. I've had the dog for over 40 days, made in CAS with the current family. I always have to direct it to go pee, it will not learn on its own. However, it has learned all the tricks, not to bark at Sims, etc. Just not to pee on its own.

Message 7 of 35 (15,953 Views)

★★ Guide

@crinrict wrote:

Do they do other things ? Lie on the bed when directed ? Learn to not drink from toilet and puddles and that sort of stuff ?

My dog learned as a puppy not to play in puddles, and has not done so since. I have not seen her try to drink from the toilet. I haven't tried directing her to lie on a bed but I can try that next.

Message 8 of 35 (15,949 Views)
Highlighted

Hero

That would be great if you could test that.

I'm a bit behind on my list as I did have some RL stuff to attend to today

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 35 (15,945 Views)

★★ Guide

@crinrict wrote:

That would be great if you could test that.

I'm a bit behind on my list as I did have some RL stuff to attend to today

Just checked and I did not see any option for my Sim to direct her dog to lie on a bed, even after she maximized the Pet Training skill. She tried both clicking on two different beds and on the dog. Where is that option supposed to be?

Message 10 of 35 (15,933 Views)