Re: [LAUNDRY LIST] Broken family tree...

by QueenieJocelyn

Original Post

Re: Broken family tree...

★★ Guide
@procian For real. I feel like I encountered this issue long before a lot of people. It's been about 2 years or so since I first noticed it. In some ways, it's different for me, maybe more annoying bcus I've put up with it much longer than some. Now, others are coming across this issue as well and still, we wait. It's a horrible situation for everyone, especially those of us who actually play the game.
Message 31 of 49 (1,538 Views)

★ Guide

Also wiped out my sims great great and great granparents from the family tree.....

Message 32 of 49 (1,515 Views)

★★ Guide
@procian There's a relationship mod that should be able to add them back for you. Ugh, it's so frustrating. That's why I don't want my sims to get older and die yet smh. I've already had to bring back their deceased parents just so I could add them back to the family tree the right way bcus they were removed and put out of place bcus of this annoying glitch.
Message 33 of 49 (1,489 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@thecharsims Exactly! I'm scared to age up my sims because I know the next generation's grandparents or great-grandparents will disappear. I also have the broken family tree thing. What's the point of playing with multiple generations if we don't even have a working lineage system?
Message 34 of 49 (1,471 Views)

★★ Guide
@HollaAtYourMomma I agree with you 100%. I actually came across a debate about build mode and if it should be considered "gameplay" in comparison to "live mode" gameplay. The thing is, I noticed a while back how the gurus would show much more recognition to builders when it came to new game content and even referred to building as "gameplay" during a live stream. From that point on, I feel as though the game has been misdirected and pushed more towards builders. I think it's one of the major reasons why live mode is getting hit with so many glitches and is lacking so much. Though build mode is an aspect of gameplay, live mode is the main source of The Sim's game (or... well, it was suppose to be) and the focus on live mode gameplay, has been extremely lost. Live mode has become saturated, repetitive, buggy in its entirety and the focus of what was once the main factor of The Sims game, has been placed on the back burner and has taken several seats. It's disappointing and discouraging all around to see one of the major aspects of the game which is suppose to be based around Simulation, take a damaging hit like this. We as players who actually PLAY the game, should be focused on a bit more than we are, instead of builders getting so much attention.

Anyway, I honestly do not think that a sim aging up will alter the tree. However, it is The Sims and we just don't know smh My suggestion to you is to, do a trial run with your family. You can call it a "test save". If you have been using the "save as" option and have previous saves, then jump into the last or previous game session that you played prior to your current save. (You shouldn't run random tests under a current save, unless it's unavoidable) Then jump into the household of the sim or sims that you want to age up. Once they age, check your tree to confirm whether or not the tree was altered upon them aging. Doing this will allow you to test it out before you age them in your most recent to current save. Now, if you have been saving over your game by simply hitting the "save" option, then jump into that most current save that you have and do the same thing and check your tree. After that, you can just quit out to the main menu so their aging up won't save, unless you want it to. Hopefully, that all makes sense.
Message 35 of 49 (1,451 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Does anyone know if this bug is being looked into and if the gurus are aware of it? Very worried, we won't get our family trees back.

Message 36 of 49 (1,384 Views)

★★ Guide
@Nancy9 The Sims team just released a laundry list of soon to be "fixed" bugs/glitches and the broken family relationships has finally made the list. Finally. So within the next patch or so, I think the issue might be addressed. Hopefully, the "fix" will actually work. Sometimes bug fixes don't work after it's been said, it was fixed. It has me a bit paranoid but I'm hopeful and relieved that it was finally mentioned. Crossing my fingers. I really wanna play my families again.
Message 37 of 49 (1,070 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I just noticed this in my game over the last two or three weeks. I'm playing my first legacy challenge, but it's hard to keep track when family links are broken. What's worse is my founding Sim and spouse are cut out of some of the family trees! I hope this is fixed soon. I love seeing my family grow generation by generation and keeping track of how far I've come. 

Message 38 of 49 (1,040 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

I bet their promised fix won't apply to the existing families. As with many other fixes.

I just hope I am wrong on this one.

Message 39 of 49 (1,021 Views)

★★ Novice

I also get his bug, I have to spend hours repairing family trees using MC Command Center, which is far from fun.

To experience this bug on top of the fact that the game is coded to cull/delete sims WITHOUT keeping the family tree intact (leading to blank portraits in family trees) is absolutely shocking... considering... most of us bought a pack called... Generations!

When TS4 released without family trees and they we're added as a patch, I knew the sims team had overlooked just how important family trees (and while we're mentioning it, pre-existing family trees!) actually are to simmers.

You could have the whole family tree for every family in the sims series... if... family trees hadn't been written to depend on existing sims... its SO SIMPLE! and frustrates me (as someone who likes to code games)

When a sim dies, before culling them, you create a simple data entry with a couple of variables such as:

• name of the sim
  • a portrait pic for the tree (which already exists)
  • immediarte relations (parents/kids)

Then you simply use this data to populate the family tree for dead sims, its so simple. with a framework like that you could very easily release TS4 with all families having trees, such as the multiple generations of langraabs and goths that came before Nancy and Mortimer.

Do this, we get better family trees and culling no longer haunts players.

Message 40 of 49 (1,016 Views)