Original Post

Highlighted

Re: [OPEN] Book of Life doesn't work as it should

★★★ Novice
Checked again 12/17/17. Still broken.
Message 11 of 30 (2,366 Views)

★★★ Novice

Looks like everyone is still experiencing this problem. After extensive testing I have figured out what the problem is. The book of life isn't broken or bugged it is nerfed. You can only read the book of life for sims that aren't currently on the same lot as the reader. A sim cannot read their own book of life at all, but any other sim can read it as long as the sim it is written about is not currently on the same lot. It does not work to raise a ghost at all. I had a ghost sim read their own book of life autonomously both as an active member of the household and as a visitor to the household it had no effect either way even to refill need bars. If you take a sim with a book of life to another lot you can read the book of life to refill the need bars of the target sim. The only practical way to use this I can see is to read books about sims that are at work or at school otherwise you have to deal with a loading screen twice just to refill the need bars. Those of us having issue with this are not waiting for a bugfix we are waiting for a mod to unnerf this content we want to use. Somewhere in the code when you hover over the book of life the code checks to see where the target sim is we need a mod that spoofs the answer to that call and tells it that the sim is on another lot. As far as I can tell that should be a pretty easy mod to write but I don't know how to write mods for this game or know anyone that does.

Message 12 of 30 (2,358 Views)

★ Apprentice

Are you serious??? It could be permanent? That doesn't make any sense. Was any official word put out about the nerf? It could still be a bug that they intend to fix, even if you figured out what in the code is causing it, and in what capacity it works. If it only works the way you say then it's pretty useless. It wasn't intended to be this way, so I think if this is an official change they intend to keep they should have announced it in patch notes. I mean, it's a pretty big and inconvenient change!! How do you know it's meant to stay this way?? I don't want to use any mods because then they can say practically any bug I encounter from then on is caused by the mod. I haven't used any mods yet and I hope not to in the future as well.

Message 13 of 30 (2,249 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Issue is still there two patches later.

Message 14 of 30 (2,184 Views)

★ Apprentice

But since is an issue fixed exactly one or two patches later? I want to know if it's still something they are going to fix, not whether it hasn't been fixed YET. How can we be sure this is not something that will be fixed? Is there an official word or is there no word given when things are nerfed? I would just like to know if this is something that will get a fix at some point or if it's the way it's supposed to be. I don't even think it works if someone reads it when someone is off the lot. I think I tried it and it didn't work.

Message 15 of 30 (2,138 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I tried it in the latest patch (1.38.49.1020). I had a sim read the book of life linked to a teen while she was at school and it worked.

However, since there has been no mention of a change to the book of life workings in the patch notes and that this topic is still listed as being open, I'm going to assume (and hope) it's a glitch.

Message 16 of 30 (2,131 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I see that it's been several months since this was reported. I only started playing The Sims 4 this month(January 2018), with the deluxe edition upgrade, plus expansion packs Get to Work, Get Together, City Living, and Cats & Dogs, plus Game Packs Spa Day, Vampires, and Parenthood, plus the stuff pack Perfect Patio. I have no custom content. My game version is 1.38.49.1220 according to the txt file in my Sims 4 folder in documents. 

The Book of Life has never worked for me--I'm assuming this is because I started playing after the patch came out. I also tried reading the book while the sim was at work--did not work. Is there any way to bump this to senior attention?

Message 17 of 30 (2,067 Views)

Hero

Hi @devykins143

QA should be aware of this issue. 

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 18 of 30 (2,054 Views)

★★ Guide
Probably a related issue but if Fred reads the book of life bound to Wilma while Wilma is at work, then Wilma's needs get filled but the notification says Fred is feeling invigorated.
Message 19 of 30 (1,889 Views)

★ Apprentice

Welp, I haven't played in over a month... Came back to update game and check if this was fixed, and nope, Book of Life still doesn't work to fix needs. I guess I'll check back in another month, but it would really, really help to know whether this was actually getting a fix, and if so, when we might expect to see it working?

Message 20 of 30 (1,789 Views)