Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED] Book of Life doesn't work as it should

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? Nederlands
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All except Luxury Party, Perfect Patio, Cool kitchen, Spa.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have a Sim have the author aspiration completed so he can write the Book of Life, bind it and write an epic sage before killing the Sim that is bind to the book.
What happens when the bug occurs? The Book of Life doesn't work as reported in this topic: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/928136/i-patched-the-game-this-morning-now-none-of-my-boo...
What do you expect to see? I only test play after reading that topic. I could write the Book of Life and bind it. After that I killed a Sim with MC CC. Which gave two error logs: last exception and error log in mc_cmd_center (not asking for help with this just reporting what happened). The option to summon this Sim was there but didn't work. I also killed another Sim (again errors), after binding the Book of Life to this Sim first. This time, the Book didn't have the option to summon. I also tried a pre-patch game because I saw @rosemow suggested that earlier. This game was from June and has not been played or saved after the current patch. Again I could write the Book and bind it but after killing the Sim (again with errors, already reported it to DP), she just walked out of the lot and her picture disappeared from the user panel. No option to summon her. Reading her epic story also spawns an last exception. So this test was a fail too.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Based on that topic, I assume patch 1.36. But technically for me it's not possible to know for sure because I haven't played with the Book of Life prior to this patch. The last time I played with it, was many patches ago. Those time it worked as it should.

Hi guys,

At rosemows suggestion and after searching the compiled list of bugs with [CTRL] + [F] for "Book of Life" for this issue, I decided to report.  

PS. I play Windows 10 - 64 bit.

Message 1 of 30 (12,655 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [FIXED] Book of Life doesn't work as it should

Hero

The Book of Life can now be read if it is bound to the same lot as the Sim trying to read it. You can now truly get a life, or at least read about it.

Fixed in Patch 1.44.77

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 28 of 30 (11,021 Views)

All Replies

Re: [TO TEST] Book of Life doesn't work as it should

★ Apprentice

Hi, yes I wrote the original post on the Sims 4 forum. Basically I went to bed with The Book of Life working, woke up and patched the game, loaded my save, and there is no option to read The Book of Life anymore. This is for live sims as I don't age mine. The only options are to put them in world or to put them away if there is a bookshelf. Tried re-writing and re-binding, deleting all books, bookshelves, and computers and repairing and re-writing, and nothing helped. Basically for this entire saved game I cannot create one and bind it to any sim that can use it. Very frustrating, please fix. I have no custom content whatsoever, and a system with great specs, 64-bit, Windows 10. I have most of the packs except the parenting and toddler stuff. I also got the option to write epic saga on one of the books by a sim who did not write that book. Was not usable though, just like all the others.

Message 2 of 30 (12,526 Views)

★★★ Novice

My Sims can't read the book of life to restore their needs.

Message 3 of 30 (12,500 Views)

★ Apprentice

I was using the book of life regularly in one of my households to restore sims needs before the patch. Now you can't read it and it doesn't seem to know what sims its connected to. This is an issue with Copies of the book of life written both before and after the patch.

Message 4 of 30 (12,492 Views)

Re: Book of Life doesn't work as it should

Hero

Added

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 5 of 30 (12,475 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Book of Life doesn't work as it should

★★ Novice

i have a sim household of 8. only one of the book of life for one sim works. the other 7's books of life don't have the "read" option. i don't know why it only works for one sim but not the others.

Message 6 of 30 (12,443 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I was able to use book of life before the patch. Just right before updating. But now after the patch book of life does not work any more. SIms can wrtie them but they cannot read them. I removed all my cc and mods and still they are not working so I think this is a patch related problem/bug. 

Message 7 of 30 (12,346 Views)

★★★ Novice

I'm running Base with Outdoor Retreat and Dine Out. I've got 5 stuff packs and the two free things. No custom content.

Book of Life is broken for me as well. Including writing new ones.

Message 8 of 30 (12,316 Views)

★ Apprentice

Does this mean everyone is experiencing this problem? Any ETA on a fix? It's like, THE THING I depend on and it's gone, with no clue on when it will be usable again. Would really appreciate an update.

Message 9 of 30 (12,224 Views)

★★★ Novice

I started playing my current save file in early October (2017), at which point my main Sim was a toddler.  Her mother completed the bestselling author aspiration, wrote a book of life, and bound it to her daughter.  The daughter then took her own Book of Life with her when she moved out and into an apartment.  Her then-boyfriend (live-in) had it in his inventory for a while (in case of an emergency), but when they broke up, I gave it back to her.  Finally, I ended up giving her Book of Life to her husband who had it ever since.  Periodically, I would check to make sure that it still said that it was bound to her and still had the option to "Read her epic tale" because I was paranoid that the combination of time and being passed from inventory to inventory would cause it to stop working.  

My main Sim then completed the Bestselling Author aspiration herself and wanted to give her husband his own Book of Life (with plans to bind additional volumes to their future children).  At this point the family had moved to Brindleton Bay, so I know for sure that it was after the November 7 patch.  However, I cannot say for sure when I last checked her Book of Life prior to writing his- - I could have sworn that I checked it just before she wrote his, but I remember that their life was incredibly hectic at the time and she barely had time to write the Book of Life, so it's entirely possible that I, feeling confident after checking her Book many times over her lifetime, forgot to check.  Regardless, I had her write and bind the book to him.  Everything seemed in order, so I put it in her inventory and when I went to verify that it was working the only option I had was "Place in World" (When I did this, the only options I had were "Put in Inventory" and "Put Away.")  I then checked the Book of Life that she had brought with her from her parent's house and found the same issue.  I deleted both books and had her write another one-- with the same result (she then published it and never earned any royalties on it-- I'm not sure if this is part of the issue or simply what happens when you publish a bound book of life).

I am running with all of the packs, some CC (CAS items and build/buy items), and no mods (well, I have mods in my folder, but after the patch I disabled the script mods option).  I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I think the only CC that I am actually using in their house is some clutter objects and wall art (no bookshelves, desks, computers, chairs, sofas, etc.).  

Message 10 of 30 (12,169 Views)