[FIXED] Black roof trims

by SisterGloomy

Original Post

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Black roof trims

★★ Novice
@jtmwhat Yeah, I'm building a castle and it only appeared when I started to furnish the second floor. Also, for me, it only appears on my octagonal roofs.
Message 31 of 50 (2,165 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Black roof trims

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Including a screenshot of my current build having this issue, I forget every time until this happens (which is a lot) that I shouldn't ever use anything but black roof trim or none at all. As you can see in the background, the smaller octagonal roof is still fine somehow, but another one offscreen is also messed up. The big one in the foreground, you can see that not only does it have black sections but the corners of bugged sections don't match up cleanly like the all-white sections... so it may be a bigger issue than just the color/texture.

Deleting one wall from the room directly under the bugged roof trim fixes the trim until I rebuild the wall section. Then it comes right back.

Edit: If it matters, these roofs are placed on top of what are technically empty room floors, partly so I can more easily apply floor trim as an outer roof decoration, and partly because I use a "floor deleting" trick for stairwells that involve placing small squares of empty-room sections in the parts I want deleted and then deleting the floors from those segments; when using that trick, it always deletes a bit of the larger room's ceiling above the small segment, so I plop an empty-room floor above to serve as a weather-proof ceiling (it's also why the skylight roof tile is not actually creating skylights in this build as the stairwells are below the "skylight" roofs). For what it's worth, the two bugged roofs in this build are above floor-tricked stairwells but the unbugged roof is not.

Edit 2: Oh and everything was fine until I started applying wall color to the outside of the building, that's when the trim changed (didn't notice it immediately but that's what I had done most recently). Hitting the Back button does nothing to fix that, it's perma-borked now. Aand just tried deleting the actual trim, the actual edge of the roof is messed up so taking off the trim doesn't help.

Message 32 of 50 (2,094 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Woke up with a migraine and an epiphany, and ironically my theory was far more complex than what testing ended up showing. I was thinking it was stairs, or basements with stairs, or modular stairs throwing things off because I remembered a previous build also hit the same bug and it had modular stairs under the bugged roofs. In the end, it's simply having additional floors that seems to bug the roof edges/trim. A one-floor house at ground level seems fine, but a one-floor house with a basement is not; a two-story house and anything more with or without a basement has issues. I've thrown together a screenshot with notes on it for the end results and am including it here. Hopefully helpful and I'm not sure if it's already been discussed in this thread but here ya go.

Edit: helps if I upload the right pic. x.x ...and it's just sitting there on virus scan, so in case it never clears, the bugged roof edges spawn in set locations and moving the roofs around will "fix" the trim or show other bugged areas. Roofs placed on the ground show darker trim than it should (grey instead of white, and grey-pink instead of pink which isn't in the screenie).

Message 33 of 50 (2,057 Views)

★★ Guide

This glitch is over 3 month old now.. :/

Message 34 of 50 (1,945 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I'm having the same issue on mac. I tried disabling mods but it didn't fix it. It seems that the bug occurs whenever multiple roofs cross each other. On top of that the bug is conflicting with a mod. Whenever I hover my cursor over a window from outside of the house, it turns black but when I hover on them from inside the house it works just fine for some reasons.

Message 35 of 50 (1,871 Views)

ROOF ISSUES: DARK LINES ON ROOF

★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.62.67.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All the packs installed.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Try building in Sunali and use more than one roof placement.
What happens when the bug occurs? The dark room trim. If you use roof shapes next to each other or leave a gap; the dark strip appears on the edge of the roof. No matter what colour roof trim you use; the dark line shows through.
What do you expect to see? See above. I have tried a house in x3 diferent plots (in Sunali) with at least 15 different roof styles and the line appears every time. I have redrawn the walls, foundation, verrandas, roof, internal walls and it is still occuring. Taken out all mods, turned off all cheats and no difference. Examples below. I have tried all the roof styles overlapping, reducine trims etc etc etc.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

see pics attached

Message 36 of 50 (1,810 Views)

Hero
@DottyDot89 Merged your post with existing thread on this.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 37 of 50 (1,798 Views)

★★★ Novice
@crinrict Thankyou so much. Kind regards Dottydot Standard smile
Message 38 of 50 (1,756 Views)

Black Roof Trims

★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.62.67.1220
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All, except Tiny Living, Cool Kitchen and Moschino Stuff
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I'm not sure, it happens all the time with me (Live and Build Mode)
What happens when the bug occurs? Roof Trims have been black for quite some time now. It's so annoying to build. Now I find out there are, at least, two objects with funky 3D model.
What do you expect to see? Roof trims should appear their actual color.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

These two objects are now striped. The ceilings sometimes display the same stripes. I think it's the same problem.

Message 39 of 50 (1,700 Views)

★ Apprentice

THANK YOU!!! Although the "fix" didn't really fix the problem permanently, it is SUPER helpful for preparing a build to be saved and uploaded to gallery. I spent ages on an elaborate build and it was so ugly with all the black roof edging, but your fix got rid of it all so I could take a great photo for gallery upload! So thank you Standard smile

Message 40 of 50 (1,497 Views)