Re: [TO TEST] "Read to sleep" doesn't work

by Cinthilaa

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@kreatora

I have to disagree with you on this. And your remark about a good builder knows better comes across as rude to me. If this were indeed, "By Design", then it should have never worked to begin with at all.

I'm positive it worked or I would not have noticed that it wasn't working. If a bed against the wall were truly an issue, then I shouldn't be able to have my parent Sim put a child Sim to bed, but yet that works. This seems to me to be isolated to just reading to sleep and I'm not sure why.

I've been playing Sims 4 since December 2014 and many of the lots in my game date all the way to back then, and I've seen a good number of routing issues come and go over the years. So I know in a lot of cases, it's not the build at fault, but rather mistakes in the AI routing. Routing and queue dropping, overall, especially seems to have gotten worse since the release of Seasons, so I'm not surprised this is still an issue.

Message 21 of 40 (10,429 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

So, appart from the reading to sleep issue, anybody having the changing outfit glitch as well ? When toddlers literally get changed TWICE, once into sleepwear and then back into everyday clothing before reading the story or being put to bed. The parent/adult then puts the toddler to bed/reads the story. But, then the toddler can't possibly fall asleep since he's wearing his every clothes so he gets out of bed, changed by himself into his pajamas and finally sleeps.

It's annoying first of all because it's wasting time, we all know how sims' interactions (especially with toddlers) seem to take for ever and it's a struggle to actually manage to make them do what we want them to do (getting a toddler to eat in the high chair without anyone picking him up, or serving him already made food, or the kid throwing his food on the floor is an absolute nightmare)... So when the kid is in bed and ha had his bedtime story, It'd be great if he could just fall asleep without any extra interaction...

But please let me know if i'm the only one with this issue, which would mean something else is responsible for this... It started a few weeks ago so it's relatively new   

Message 22 of 40 (10,388 Views)

★★★★ Pro

As @manzana0807 commented, I can also confirm that reading a toddler to sleep when the bed was against the wall did used to work. I know when I started my Foster Child Challenge Let’s Play, my Sims were able to read the toddlers to sleep and at least some of the beds were against the wall. I later started having problems at which point I heard it could be resolved if the toddler bed wasn’t against the wall so I have since been making sure they are no longer against the walls in new builds and by changing it in old builds. You can see it working around 16:11 in this video https://youtu.be/KAfS2LpSLkE?t=971

Best regards,

Jennifer 

Message 23 of 40 (10,350 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hi there ! 

Is there a fix on the way? This thread doesn't seem really active although it's a real issue ! 

Also, mine is extra annoying because I can't read the kid to bed if it's against the wall, I have to pick up the baby then click on the bed and do "read to sleep". When the bedroom is upstairs, I have to pick up the baby, then go upstairs, then click on the bed.

It honestly takes for ever but that's not all!! Instead of changing the kid into sleepwear, the adult will either change him into his PJs then back into everyday clothes. If the kid is already in his PJs, then he'll change him into everyday clothes.

After that, the baby gets in bed and listens to the story... But he never falls asleep because he needs to change into his PJs first!! So the kid come out of bed, change, then go to bed.

The bedtime ritual is the longest thing ever and it needs to be fixed ASAP! I had actually completely forgot about this problem, but I just had a new baby in the household and it brought everything back..

If we could at least acknowledge that it's an issue...

Message 24 of 40 (10,310 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

I recently came across this issue myself after a sim I had in the city (One of the apartments) had a Toddler. I'm finding the "read to sleep" option in my end only seems to work sometimes when you have the Toddler use the command "Story Time" when selecting the Toddler Bed.

Positioning of the Toddler and the other Sim also seems to play a part; when I had both Sims near the Toddler Bed and initiated the Interaction, my Adult Sim seemed to complain about pathing to the bed.

- B

Message 25 of 40 (10,296 Views)

★ Apprentice

I fee like toddler beds have always been really finicky. I have found that making sure there is plenty of room around the toddler bed makes for less issues. However, at times it may help to adjust where your sims are standing and that can help. Sometimes, other objects may be in the way (even though its not) and moving some objects around may help. I don't know how sims decide what side of the bed they want to sit on, but if they want to sit on the side against the wall it won't work and they will wave their hands around saying they can not go there. Annoying, but easy to workaround. I just make sure both sides are available to them and they don't fuss. 

Message 26 of 40 (10,284 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Adult sims wont put toddlers to bed/read to if bed against wall

★ Apprentice

I can confirm that this problem started occurring after a patch, but I'm unsure as to which one.  When Toddlers first came out the interaction worked fine.  This has been going on for a long time now with no fix.  I know there is a workaround as i use it when I can, but we shouldn't have to still be using it at this point.  It will most likely end up like many other bugs that will forever go unfixed since it doesn't necessarily break the game, but we shouldn't have to jump through hoops either.

Message 27 of 40 (10,233 Views)

Hero

Hi @mmoblitz 

which symptoms are you getting in detail ?

I tested this the other day and it worked fine for me even with the bed against the wall.

Can you not read to them at all or is it sometimes working and sometimes not ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 28 of 40 (10,230 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hi there!

I know I get that glitch all the time if the bed is against the wall and the only to override it is to first pick up the kid and then select the interaction "read to sleep". I had this issue with my old save and I still have it with my brand new one. It happens in two stories houses, flats and single story houses so it's not a lot issue.

However, the bug I used to have with toddlers being changed into everyday clothes before being put to bed (instead of being changed into their PJs) no longer occurs with this save... For now anyway. I can share my old and new saves if it can help testing and understanding what's going on

Message 29 of 40 (10,216 Views)

Hero
I tested it before and had the issue so I do know what it's about. I'm just no longer seeing it.

Thanks for your feedback that it's still happening for you.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 30 of 40 (10,214 Views)