Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED] Items no longer owned after moving

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.51.77.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Seasons, Pets, City, Work, Jungle, Vampires, Dine Out, Outdoor
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? In the city, ask a neighbor to move in, then combine both families and move current household to the neighbor's apartment next door, keeping all belongings.
What happens when the bug occurs? Portable items that were decorating the old apartment are moved to the household belongings (correct) and I can place them (correct). But characters can't pick them up or interact with them in some ways because they are not owned by the houseold. "Put in Inventory" is greyed out and says "[Name] does not own this item."
What do you expect to see? I expect the household to own all portable objects placed in their lot regardless of how they got there.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Is there a workaround for this? Some easy way to change the ownership of an item to the current family. It's a bummer, tons of unique, irreplaceable things can no longer be picked up.

Message 64 of 69 (14,909 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Items no longer owned after moving

★★★★ Pro

I had my sim move from Newcrest to a penthouse in San Myshuno and they 'kept furniture' and the inventory in the storage items did transfer to their new lot and it appears to belong to them as I can drag inventory out of the fridge/toy box/etc and into the sim's personal inventory with no problems.

Though they had a portable laptop on the old lot and it was put in her personal inventory instead of the household inventory (and I had a message when I arrived on the new lot).

This is since Tuesday's (Jun 18/19) update (ie game version PC 1.52.100.1020) with all the packs installed. No mods/cc.

Best regards,
Jennifer

View in thread

Message 67 of 69 (17,046 Views)

All Replies

[FEEDBACK] Items loose ownership after moving

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

problem's in the title. Whenever I move one of my families onto a new flat or house, I can't drag food into the fridge. I don't have any mods installed and tried to repair the game via origin but that didn't work. 

When I buy a new fridge after moving though, it's working again. 

Message 1 of 69 (18,332 Views)

Re: [TROUBLESHOOT] Can't drag food into fridge after moving

Hero

Hi @RainbowAra

I've tested this in my own game and had no issues so

1. Did you sell the furniture when you moved or was this the same fridge you had at your old house ?
  2. Who cooked the food ?
  3. Was this food cooked at the old or at the new house ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 69 (18,289 Views)

★★★ Novice

it's only when I keep the furniture from the old place. And tbh, I only played in San Myshuno, I don't know if it's on other plots then the appartment ones.

The food is always made by my Sims and it doesn't matter if it's the food they made in the old appartment or the new one. I just reinstalled the game on my laptop and its still not working.

Message 3 of 69 (18,275 Views)

Hero

OK, I'll do some more testing tomorrow

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 69 (18,269 Views)

Hero

Ok.

I was now able to duplicate

I'll add

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 5 of 69 (18,257 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Can't drag food into fridge after moving

Hero

Added

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 6 of 69 (18,243 Views)

★★★★ Pro

I had the same problem with the fridge after moving. 

I was also unable to drag the books I brought with me to the bookcase I brought with them (I had put the books in my Sims' personal inventory), so I had to have the Sim manually put everything into the bookcase in the new location.

In both these cases (fridge and bookshelf), selling them and purchasing new versions of the same items solved the problem and I was able to drag things back into them.

Another thing that I just noticed was that when I went to order upgrade parts and medicine from the computer I brought with me when moving, the option was not there, though the other usual purchase options were.  I then bought a new computer and the option to purchase these things became available, though it still was not available on the old computer.  

Not sure if you need to know this, but my Sims had moved in San Myshuno from 2B Jasmine Suites to the Fountainview Penthouse.  I did notice when I went to check the name of the apartment they had left, all the furniture they had was still there, even though I had said to bring all their furniture (and it had come).  I'm not sure if that is usually what happens as I usually put what I'm bringing in my family inventory and leave the rest with the lot  (in this case I chose the option to 'keep all furniture' and to buy the new place 'unfurnished'.)

I have no mods/cc in my game, my system is Windows 10 and my game is up to date with patches and I have all packs except the vampire pack.

Thanks and regards, 

Jennifer

Message 7 of 69 (18,210 Views)

Hero

Could you post here for the not being able to order issue: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/OPEN-Cannot-Order-through-the-computer/td-p/5708993/...

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 8 of 69 (18,204 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

Will do.  I tried to do a search but obviously used the wrong word combination.  

Though for me, this seems to be tied to moving as I've gone back to a few other game files and that is what they all have in common.  I'll mention that when I repost.  

FYI, I created a new file and I had the family move twice, once with the option to 'keep furniture' and sell all furniture at their move destination and the second time, for which I went back to the save before I had them move, I had them only take what they had packed in their family inventory and buy the furniture at the destination (ie they 'sold' their furniture and took the new location furnished).

In the first scenario ('keep furniture') I noticed the following problems when they reached their destination:

1) Sim can't order parts or medicine on either of the different types of computers they brought,

2) I can't drag the food to the fridge, neither the dish I had them bring with them nor food prepared fresh at the new location.  Sims can put the food away. I can drag food out of the fridge.

3) I can't drag the book I had the Sim bring to the bookcase, nor can I order a book from the bookcase. Sims can return books to the bookcase.

4) I can't drag the toys I brought to into the toybox.  Sims can still put the toys away in the toybox.

5) I brought a high chair and the option to grab food or drink for the toddler is grayed out on the fridge.

In the second scenario ('sell furniture', where all I kept was what I placed in the family inventory), I didn't notice any problems and everything was normal as follows:

1) everything was available on the computers that I had placed in the family inventory and placed back out on the lot,

2) I was able to drag all items to the fridge, toybox and bookshelf I placed in the family inventory (though the latter two came empty, but that is how it always is for me)

and

3) there was no problem with grabbing food or drink for the toddler from the fridge I brought.   

I've only noticed this recently because I usually 'pack' what my Sims are bringing when they move and have them sell the rest.  

Thanks and regards,

Jennifer

Message 9 of 69 (18,199 Views)