by MetaSuperficial

Original Post

[WORKAROUND] [SE] Extreme Sports won't complete if skills already maxed out

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.73.57.1030 (Originally, the bug is still present on 1.74.59.1030)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Snowy Escape, Eco Lifestyle, Discover University, Island Living, Get Famous, Seasons, Cats and Dogs, City Living, Get Together, Get to Work, Dine Out, Spa Day, Strangerville, Realm of Magic, Vampires, Parenthood, Outdoor Retreat, Jungle Adventure, Journey to Batuu, Nifty Knitting, Tiny Living, Moschino, Fitness, Bowling Night, Vintage Glamour, Backyard, Romantic Garden, Movie Hangout, Cool Kitchen, Perfect Patio, Luxury Party, Spooky (+Deluxe content)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Reach "Peak Pioneer" level of the Extreme Sports Enthusiast Aspiration with all three skills - skiing, snowboarding, rock climbing maxed out.
What happens when the bug occurs? The task "Achieve Level 8 Skiing, Snowboarding or Rock Climbing Skill" will not register, and thus the aspiration cannot be completed.
What do you expect to see? The aspiration tasks tracking fixed so that it actually checks the level of all those three skills when advancing to "Peak Pioneer" and registering it if any at level 8 or above as required.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Workaround:

@MapleSimmer  provided a workaround which will help most simmers for the time being: getting any skill up to its next level while the aspiration is active will cause the game to "realize" that you have a Snowy Escape skill at the required level and will check off the task.

This will not help with sims that have all skills (not just those 3) maxed out.

Either way, a proper fix is in order!

Original post:

Because my game previously contained mods, I decided to try with a new one.

I re-installed the game entirely first.

I had to use (the built-in) cheats to complete my tests as it would take too long starting entirely from scratch.

I can confirm this bug can be reproduced this way.

The bug was originally reported in January 2021 by @rottenmeier. So it obviously existed before this year's updates.

Additional Notes:
1) The 2nd level of this aspiration "Thrill Seeker", where level 3 rock climbing is required, does NOT have this bug and works as intended. It checks off if the skill is already at 3 or above.

2) The task only registers when skills go up. Using cheats to take any of the three skills from levels 10/9 to 9/8 will not work. Only raising it to 8/9/10 will get the task checked. (It's not really important for normal game play, but might as well cover all bases)

3) According to @crinrict, other aspirations have the same issue, and I do vaguely recall encountering such issue elsewhere in the game. However, after testing all 48 aspirations (to my understanding there are no additional adult aspirations in the packs I don't have: Laundry Day, My First Pet, Kids Room, Toddler) on version 1.74.59.1030, I found that this bug only exist in the final level of the Extreme Sports Enthusiast aspiration. I did use cheats for testing to get it done quickly, but I've confirmed that the  aspirations.complete_current_milestone cheat does not affect the bug in Extreme Sports. If someone encounters this same bug in other aspirations playing normally, I'd like to know. [I guess it is possible that other tasks (such as career levels) don't register properly for other aspirations.]

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title, Adjusted Title to fit. merged another thread that had originally 4 me toos

Update by MetaSuperficial: Added MapleSimmer's workaround, Update on other aspirations

Message 12 of 30 (4,176 Views)

Snowy escape aspiration not completing

★ Guide

I can't complete the Extreme sports enthusiast aspiration.

a sim is level 8 or above in skiing, snowboarding and climbing, it doesn't tick off the part of the aspiration.

none of the slopes tick of after completing in highest intensity (or any other intensity).

Message 1 of 30 (4,389 Views)

Re: Snowy escape aspiration not completing

★★★★★ Apprentice

Having the same issue.

Two sims with all three skills maxed out (skiing, snowboard, rock climbing), but it won't register so I can't complete the Extreme Sports aspiration.

Removed mods and re-installed the game. No change.

Tried completing another aspiration and returning to Extreme Sports. It didn't help either.

Message 2 of 30 (4,278 Views)

★★★★ Expert

@MetaSuperficial  @rottenmeier  I remember having seen a bug report about it, but I can't seem to find it right now. Here is the list of bug reports for you, if you want to look for yourself:
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/READ-FIRST-Compiled-list-of-reported-Issues/m-p/3445209#M13006...

Message 3 of 30 (4,275 Views)

Hero
@MetaSuperficial Did you have the skill maxed out before or after you go the aspiration ? Did you try cheating down to level 7 an d back up ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 30 (4,270 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Thanks @DonroaAkashu, but as far as I can tell, this is the only thread describing this specific issue.

There were other issues with this aspiration, but those got fixed (it seems) as I was able to complete all other task in this aspiration.

I guess there might be similar issues with other aspirations not registering existing skill levels, but I didn't find such in the list you provided.

Message 5 of 30 (4,266 Views)

★★★★ Expert

@MetaSuperficial I see. Then I think the bug forum is where you ought to post, and make a bug report for the issue, provided that the save has not seen CC or mods. I have yet to play that aspiration to the end, but I have seen posts elsewhere about it not fulfilling. If you make a bug report describing in detail what happens, it would make it easier to try to replicate, not just for players wanting to help, like in this thread, but also for the bug fixing team hired by EA.

Message 6 of 30 (4,258 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@crinrict, I had it maxed out before, or possibly while completing the earlier aspiration levels.

Cheating skill levels does work (tried it just now after reading your post), but I knew it would, and obviously I'd rather not use this method.

Interestingly though, I tried it gradually, lowering the skiing skill level one by one, but only raising it again does the trick. Going down from 10 to 9 and 9 to 8 doesn't affect the aspiration, but going from 8 to 9 (without going down to 7) does register, so it seems that it only checks when the skill level goes up.

@DonroaAkashu, my saves did contain CAS mods originally but I had mods disabled since one of the previous game updates and kept going without them. I suppose that still counts as a modded save.

I might try to file a bug report though. But I wonder if I can merge it with this thread to avoid duplicate threads.

Message 7 of 30 (4,239 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@MetaSuperficial I can find no information about what the QA Team accepts when it comes to bug reports made on modded games. I have seen multiple bug reports made, where the mods have been removed though.

Edit: to clarify: Bugs should always be reported on saves that are cc and mod-free; what I mean is that ideally the save should not have seen mods at all, but I have seen a lot of bug reports where the OP just removed the mods, and since there is no info from QA that I can find, on what should be done, I guess you can do that as well.

You can at least link to this thread in the bug report free text field.

Message 8 of 30 (4,234 Views)

Hero
@MetaSuperficial Sounds like the aspiration has an issue if you already have the skill maxed. There's a few aspirations that have this issue,

It's best to create a new thread in the bug forum as this one doesn't use the template. Make sure to mention that you had your skill maxed out before the aspiration.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 9 of 30 (4,214 Views)