Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Error loading pilot data after changing appearance before the queue (PC)

by cake404

Original Post

Error loading pilot data after changing appearance before the queue (PC)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Product: Anthem
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number Nvidia GTX 980
Enter RAM memory size in GB 8GB system RAM, 4GB on the video card
Please select your region North America
Were you on an Expedition when the issue occurred? Yes
What type of Expedition were you on when the issue occurred? Stronghold
What was the name of the Mission / Contract / Stronghold you were on? Tyrant Mine
What was your chosen difficulty level? Hard
What Javelin were you using when the issue occurred? Ranger
What was your Expedition team makeup? Mix of the above
Where did this issue occur? Please include menu name or in game location. Very start of the stronghold, 10-15 seconds after loading in.
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) Around 5:30PM and again around 6:50PM PDT
Summarize your bug When I loaded into the stronghold instance, my javelin was missing some of its appearance customization. It had the right armor models, but default paint/materials and no vinyl (not even the default). I was able to move around for a bit, and saw others move, but got kicked back into the enclave a few seconds after (barely made it into the cave/tunnel, then saw the loading screen).
How often does the bug occur? Occasionally (10% - 49%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I haven’t nailed it down to science, but it seems to occur when I modify the loadout before queueing. I don’t remember it ever happening in private mode. I would try the following: - Try modifying both the gear loadout and the appearance options while in the Forge before queueing. - Try going to the Forge a few times, repeatedly tweaking gear and/or cosmetics before queueing. - In particular, try adjusting the animations as the last thing you do before queueing (that’s what I seem to remember doing when the bug occured). - Try changing the order of the animations (i.e. equipping one that’s already equipped, but in a different slot, so they get swapped) - Try buying a new animation from the store and equipping it right before queueing (this was the case the second time the issue occured, I bought the new landing animation and equipped it before the expedition) Also, both times it occured today, I was in a group with one friend. I was the squad leader when queued, though I don’t think I actually got put in as the “leader” into the stronghold. The friend I was queued with did not have the issue, and kept playing through the stronghold both times.
What happens when the bug occurs? See above.
What should be happening instead? Appearance should be loading properly, but more importantly, even if it doesn’t, I would rather prefer to keep playing with my vinyl missing than get kicked out. Especially if I’m queued in a group with someone else (the game fills someone else into the spot and I can’t rejoin afterwards)

Note that I have a relatively slow DSL connection (around 150KB/s downstream), but it’s normally sufficient unless something else is downloading in the background. I don’t believe that was the case (I explicitly checked the second time, and I don’t remember any laggy movement the first time).

The screenshot of the first time the issue occured: 

037074F1-2AFA-4F2A-AFEB-94475618D38D.jpeg

I cut off part of the screenshot where nothing is happening, because the forum is complaining the picture is too large. There are no players there. I think I have videos of both times the issue occured, though uploading them will have to wait until another day.

Come to think of it, both times I got kicked was shortly after saving a Shadowplay video (last minute of play). However, I doubt that’s what caused me getting kicked, since I save Shadowplay videos all the time but it doesn’t typically result in getting kicked out of the mission. It does sometimes result in the game freezing up for a second or a few, but not getting kicked from the mission.

Regardless, the screenshot clearly shows that there were issues with loading player data even before I got kicked. My javelin is supposed to have the Dark Formation vinyl and a black/orange color scheme (slightly modified from the Hexilar loadout I posted in the Ranger badge thread). And while I can’t say what xpcode was supposed to be bringing, I’m fairly sure it was supposed to include a helmet (or, at the very least, a head). I do not know if xpcode got kicked out afterwards as well, or if it was just a visual issue on my end.

Also note that the second time the issue occured, the animations I chose before the expedition did seem to load properly (at least on my client). I saw the Cool Spin landing animation, and was able to use the Look Back Arms Crossed animation to look back at the empty spot the last player was loading into. They loaded in a couple seconds later with the Genie In A Bottle animation, by the way, and it really was kind of an awesome spontaneous interaction moment, which is why I captured it on video. I’ll really have to upload it some time this weekend.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 1 of 9 (277 Views)

Re: Error loading pilot data after changing appearance before the queue (PC)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Haven’t gotten around to uploading the video, but I did get a couple more of those errors earlier today. Same place (start of Tyrant Mine). Same symptoms (default paint, no vinyl, kicked into the enclave some 20 seconds into the game). These times I rushed ahead immediately and was able to participate in some of the combat; afterwards I got mailbox notifications about getting some XP for the feats (I managed to help kill a turret the first time, and a legendary scout the second time, I think).

I was queueing by myself this time, so was able to just re-queue again. The first dropout was after changing up one of my animations again, the second time I’m pretty sure I didn’t touch the Forge at all (right before that match, that is), but I did craft and equip a few sigils. I recall noticing laggy movement the second time around, but I double checked imediately after and did not seem to be downloading anything at the time (I used Windows Task Manager/Performance Monitor, it was showing stable 0 usage of the network interface).

I ended up crafting three of each sigil I wanted to use, and only equipping them on subsequent runs. No idea if that helped, but I did not seem to have the issue after that. I did changed up my gear loadout a few times afterwards, and crafted a few sigils, but did not change the appearance or the animations.

I also bought a Banshee Storm torso customization today, but did not use it when queueing. However, I did make a new Storm loadout to play around with it for a bit, before switching back to the original Ranger loadout.

It also seems like the issue is less likely to happen after getting a longer matchmaking “suit up” cinematic, but I’ll pay more attention to it in the future, to confirm if that is indeed the case.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

Message 2 of 9 (253 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

In case this is relevant – had a variation of this issue today around 19:40 PDT. Queued together with @Daethena for TM; I was in a Dawn Colossus, she was in a Shrike Interceptor. I loaded in fine, but noticed that Daethena’s javelin had its default colors and was missing the head. I let her know about it, she said she did not see the issue on her end, but did the weapon swap thing just in case (there is some reddit superstition that swapping weapons presumably keeps you from getting kicked in that scenario).

A few seconds later her paint and vinyls seemed to update on my end as well, but the head was missing for the rest of the expedition, as far as I could tell (though it did show up later in the summary screen). Neither of us got kicked out though, which is a good thing. That was the only run I’ve done so far after the patch.

Yesterday (before the patch) I had the issue happen roughly around the same time. I was in a Dawn Colossus, queued by myself, loaded in with the default paints and got kicked out a few seconds later (I did try swapping weapons, but it didn’t seem to help in any way). That was one time out of the three TM runs yesterday (second time, I think). Note that there was no matchmaking delay when the issue occured (no suit up cutscene). Today I did get the full cutscene though – which seems to correlate with it not occuring (Daethena was still missing a head throughout the whole expedition, but that’s not fatal, aparently).

Note that I also did a few freeplays yesterday, and did not have any occurences of the issue.

Will keep a look out for it in the future.

Message 3 of 9 (232 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Got a freeplay pilot data error today. In that case, I did not see the javelin load at all. I basically got kicked from the loading screen right into the newsfeed with error message on top of it (the newsfeed is also broken, by the way, but that’s another issue). The loading screen looked a lot like it was about to pull the “stuck at 95%” move, by the way. Note that this was after some major Vault cleanup and some fairly major loadout modification (loaded an Interceptor loadout I haven’t played in a while, equipped Masterworks on it, changed the vinyl and one of the emotes).

Did not get any pilot data errors in four runs of TM. One thing I seem to have noticed is, the issue tends to occur when I’m the “first” player in the squad (i.e. standing in “squad leader” position, in front of the rest of the group). It doesn’t always happen when I’m the first in the group, but I don’t recall it happening when I wasn’t. Maybe when I’m the first to create a new instance and it fills up immediately, it interrupts the server while it’s trying to send/load the data about my own javelin?

Message 4 of 9 (214 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Had a pilot load data error in TM where I got a full suit-up cutscene and wasn’t in front of the squad. I loaded in the “left hand” position (behind and to the left of the “leader”). What’s peculiar is the fact that I was playing a Storm with Seeker armor set, and the “leader” was also showing up as a Seeker Storm to me. Which could be a coincidence, but it is suspicious because I don’t normally see them very often. It is also suspicious because the username of the player was Iamthedeadpool, and Seeker Storm doesn’t necessarily strike me as a very Deadpool-like javelin (I was also seeing its paint, and it had a red and black theme going on and everything). It is also extra suspicious that the player wasn’t moving the entire time.

This happened around 6:35PM PDT I think. The only loadout change prior to the queue was swapping weapons (I wanted Avenging Herald to be on the left and Soothing Touch on the right, so it doesn’t get in the way of the cape. I’m weird like that, and the cape is important for flight stability). Note that this time I made that change by entering the Forge from the previous expedition’s reward screen (which is not something I normally do). The expedition prior to that was freeplay.

I did not actually notice that my own paints were missing until after I watched the video later, so I didn’t try the weapon swap trick to see if that would keep me from getting kicked (ironically, in this particular case I could see it working). I don’t known if the other player also got kicked along with me.

Message 5 of 9 (204 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Had a few more instances of this error, still can’t really notice any pattern, except that it seems to go away eventually if I just stick to playing the same javelin and keep queueing without changing the loadout.

There were two occurrences that were remarkably different from the earlier ones. Yesterday, I loaded into TM on a Ranger that had paint and a vinyl, but not the one I selected (I haven’t even seen that vinyl before). This seemed to be applied only to the body of the javelin (the head was present, but had the default paint job and no vinyl). I was in the position behind and to the right of the leader when that happened, in case that matters.

Today, I had a case of loading into TM on a Colossus that had not only default paint, but also a messed up ability panel. The support ability was missing from the panel, and the Ordnance Launcher slot had an icon that looked like the lightning sigil (the actual crafted sigil icon, not the one on the crafting blueprint). I tried firing it to see what happens, but nothing seemed to happen (except for the Ordnance Launcher animation) – except I got kicked a couple seconds earlier, so there’s that. Note that I did not have a lightning sigil equipped at all (or at least wasn’t supposed to). I had combo, gear, and probably melee, I think, but definitely not lightning. I may have had a lightning sigil crafted, however. I was in front of the group when that happened.

Another thing that’s notable about the last part is that in that case, I selected my Colossus loadout and queued for the stronghold from the Launch Bay Forge. I was in a Storm when loading the Colossus loadout, and was still in a Storm within the Launch Bay as I was queueing as a Colossus (The Storm shouldn’t have had a lightning sigil either though, because it was a fire build). I later changed into a different Storm loadout, but still had a Colossus icon in the expedition selection screen (though that did not necessarily seem to cause any issues, at least for myself). Yesterday’s issue occured when I was queueing as I normally do (from the Forge in the market area, climbing into the suit).

Message 6 of 9 (188 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Alright, so I’ve seen this issue several more times since the last post, including after the patch. Notable occurences:

• I’ve seen it happen in solo private mode
  • I have seen it happen in Freeplay (most of the time I just get a long loading screen when it happens, but a couple times I actually saw the javelin load in with default paint (and missing a roof, which I’m assuming is somehow the equivalent of missing a head for the Colossus)
  • Today, I had it happen several times in a row while trying to do a Legendary contract – including the time where I was the only one to load in, had no loadout changes since the last attempt, and no consumables equipped whatsoever
  • Yesterday, I was in a premade group with @DemonDial while queueing for TM. We were the only two to load in at first, we both had no changes to the loadout (other than crafting the consumables before the match); I was the only one to get kicked with the error.

DemonDial also mentioned that it seems to happen less often when actually launching the expedition from the Forge (as opposed to the “hold [interact] to start from anywhere”).

Long story short, I have a new theory. I think the issue tends to occur when I start running out of room on my SSD – which in my case also happens to be the C:\ drive. With Windows 10, “running out of room” can mean still having 20GB or so of free space. I normally try to have around 60GB available when I launch the game, but as I record stuff while playing it kinda tends to fill up.

Note that I also don’t have a ton of RAM either (system or graphics), and I think my graphics card is also set to use the system RAM in a pinch, so I’m preetty sure the game ends up relying on memory page swapping to make things work. Which works well enough most of the time (with an SSD). But I guess when it gets to the point where the game has to start deallocating assets from the earlier expeditions to make room for the current expedition stuff, that somehow interferes with loading the pilot data properly.

If I then repeatedly queue for the same mission, with the same javelin, after a few failed attempts the error tends to go away (I guess it happens when the game unloads everything but Tarsis an whatever expedition I’m doing next. However, I think this might present a problem with endgame contracts, because they seem to be dynamic (i.e. they can actually begin and proceed differently), so the assets never “settle” in memory because there is a good chance that different assets will be loaded each time. I was only able to do the daily Legendary contract (Brin’s) after it loaded the same beginning (Sanadeen’s Pass) two times in a row.

Hopefully this is helpful in reproducing and fixing the issue. I mean, technically it’s caused by my hardware being below minimim specs, but there seem to be lots of irritated people having the same issue.

Message 7 of 9 (161 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Ok, scratch that hypothesis. I tried to test it today by playing for a while without clearing my SSD. Was able to play for about three hours, did some freeplay, joined a story contract, everythig worked great. Started getting Pilot Data Error around 6PM PDT. Closed the game, cleared out some space on the C:\ drive, but still got the error several times in a row after that.

Half the time I would see the wrong torso on my Colossus, which is a first for me – normally I get default paint but the actual armor is what I selected for the loadout. In this case it was the default Colossus torso without the “hood” (even though arms and legs seemed to load properly). A few times I saw one of the abilities showing a lightning sigil icon, and at least one time the support ability was missing altogether.

In case it matters, the errors started when I was trying to do Temple of Scar. I loaded in fine by myself the first time, but left the expedition when someone else joined (I was trying to do it solo since I haven’t done it before, and was queueing for Easy hoping that nobody does it on Easy anymore at this point). The next several times I was trying to queue for it, I kept getting the error.

Eventually I switched to GM2 TM and chose a different loadout, but still got the error a few more times until I was able to finally load. Notably, I initially loaded without paint or weapons, but saw them load a couple seconds later. I also saw my javelin’s landing animation play after that.

Previously, I’ve seen the paint and vinyl customizations load a few seconds later, but only two or three times. This doesn’t seem to have anything to do with weapon swapping (I did not swap weapons before it happened, and it does not seem to happen when I tried swapping weapons either).

Message 8 of 9 (133 Views)

Champion

Someone said they get this issue after “switching routers” (whatever that means): https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/Server-down/m-p/7939452#M80030

I get it without switching or rebooting my router, but it could have to do with something happening on the ISP level. Hopefully this is helpful in isolating the issue.

Message 9 of 9 (90 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help