by oscarscheepstra

Original Post

[ECO] Windows protruding outside walls glitch

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.80.69.1230
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Cats & Dogs; City Living; Eco Lifestyle; Get to Work; Island Living; Seasons; Snowy Escape; Bowling Night Stuff; Cool Kitchen Stuff; Laundry Day; Movie Hangout; Tiny Living; Vintage Glamour; Bust the Dust; Courtyard Oasis
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Build a wall, place any of the Eco Lifestyle windows that protrude out, and move the camera inside the room on a lower angle.
What happens when the bug occurs? The outside of the window (the frame) that protrudes outside the room will disappear. Only some of the internal components will be visible outside. This happens only at some angles - you turn the camera a bit more, and they come back or disappear. See attached screen shot.
What do you expect to see? I'd expect to see the frame of the windows at all times.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PtoNvcQhnLT9lmHEkovcujqbmfGzl64B/view?usp=sharing

Edit By Crinrict: Removed tags. Please only add pack tags yourself

Message 3 of 9 (1,096 Views)

Eco Lifestyle Windows graphical glitch

★★★ Novice

I love eco lifestyle. And I would love to use the windows from this pack... but they always glitch. They look fine from outside, but if you move the camera after a specific angle, they glitch. The frames disappear, and the windows look very weird. And honestly, during gameplay, you will be seeing them from the inside, most of the time. I have seen this glitch on some videos and other screen shots as well, so I doubt this is a problem with my computer (2017 macbook pro retina). I mean, they still work as windows... but they look ugly!

I see that EA is fixing bugs all the time, and the Spa Day patch gave me some hope this problem would be solved. I haven't seen any topics about that - please, do excuse me if this was posted before.

Glitch

Message 1 of 9 (1,103 Views)

Re: Eco Lifestyle Windows graphical glitch

@oscarscheepstra

Can you please look in the bug forum for an already existing bug report for this. If one doesn't exist then please create a new one https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/bd-p/The-Sims-4-Bugs

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 9 (1,060 Views)

★★★ Novice

I completely forgot about that. I thought that this was already a bug report? Do I need to create another one?

Message 4 of 9 (1,004 Views)

Hero
@oscarscheepstra If I remember correctly you posted in two spaces last time and your posts were merged.

You don't need to make another one.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 5 of 9 (984 Views)

★★★ Novice
Thanks! Hope that more people can see that. I did notice this bug in other screen shots and even youtube videos, so I am pretty sure that it is not just for me. Standard smile Would love to see this fixed.
Message 6 of 9 (972 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

EDITED Because I have a habit of being long winded Wink

So, This is not a "glitch". This is part of how the window is constructed as a 3d model. It's "sliced" and... well...
There is what is rendered inside, What is rendered outside, What is always rendered, and all the glass, wall, shadow parts...

Like in the picture... look at the "window sill" it's seen both inside and through the window. I can see it at that angle, right? So the game must render that part of the model.
Above the wall and OUTSIDE...The game does not render That side. the deco elements, because they are outside.

BUT the "middle" of the model... the glass and "window sill" it HAS to render complete... see...

Inside. Middle. Outside. the "wall" is what tells the game to split the render. IF you take the window and place it without a wall with MO... it just renders all the parts all the time...

So to only make the game work as hard as it has to... windows doors ext... all have this style of structure inside the model.

I agree it's jarring with these windows in particular as the Deco Elements are large and well the effect of the shift is noticeable more and more often.

hope that is of help at least to ease your mind on it. I am sure EA understands this situation. It's just to stop it requires remaking the eco windows, but how? More render = less performance. and is it really worth it for everyone?

Most of the time this does not bother me. a few windows and doors well it does. But then... OCD and all Standard smile
It's a hard call for EA to make here. and the only solution I have come up with myself is the remake of the windows and doors with models that render more.

I am myself working on remakes/expansion of these windows as well as the eco doors.
Mine will render the deco elements all the time, have more sizes and be seamless, as well as have deco/counter/seat slots built-in!
Among other things Wink So if you use modes... keep an eye out...

BUT I will say it's not always better for them to always render in my testing... For emersion in-game and photos... it's great. but just like columns Sometimes, will they are in my way. lol

Message 7 of 9 (785 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

NOTE: There are other "logics" in the mechanisms of the games Rendering that also changes when things are and are not rendered. After a quick couple of goes at rearranging the mesh to render more as I think you want it too brings me to variances in the Up/Down tilt renders and the Left/Right in relationship to the LOD or Near Mid and Far Renders.

Basically. It is not at all possible as far as I can figure. Logically, It's Not really rendering anything it should not, it's rendering less imo. Because we are looking at it a little bit "down-ways" and that stuff is Bellow the wall line. This is much like how ceiling overhangs render when looking up from below outside. It's right. Just does not look like it.

As I said I am modding this whole set to improve it. up it will render the "chunky" deco elements always as I have other addons that use this. as well as an object you can clip to them and make them go away when walls are down, even if they are not in a wall.

I think EA's best way to address this would be to remake the windows with the inside and outside cuts of the models the same (and add deco slots to the ledges both up and down where they can). Then the window would just be the same either way. It's too thick/chunky to use the existing style of window model for these and this should really have been picked up on in DEV again imo. These windows also seem to use a new way of handling the shadows and Occlusion. There are more layers of Graphics going into how they work than most windows.

I feel this is just an example of how Build Mode as a whole has not gotten a fair share of resources in its DEV. With all this Diversity going into CAS I think the Guts of the game keep getting overlooked. It could use a bit of love. This could be a great way for them to start. with a mass refit of windows and doors to unify the textures and render styles a bit more. Do it and give the new Features of Opening/Closing windows, Shutters, Curtains, and Blinds and let them affect your EcoFootprint and your Season's Temperatures. This Beast needs more integration of its own parts.

The selection of Fences is sad.
Columns, So much needs to be fixed. and not a single simple tubular column. really?

Ceilings... how they really NEED attention, So much attention. Let me put the floor on the ceiling please...please...

and for EVERY sims sake, 
Fix the "room makers" and "Cutouts" for stairs So when at the outer walls of rooms they will stop jacking up wall trim and friezes.

And there I go again...
In closing. as Dev's everywhere say... It's not a Bug. It's a Feature.

Message 8 of 9 (754 Views)

★★★ Novice

Sxmon, wow. What an outstanding answer. Seriously, I am still kinda baffled by the level of detail you got into.Thank you so much for this! it made my day.

I would love to see your mods, because those "bugs" bother me so much that I can't use those windows at all :c. And I would love to see the additional options you mentioned. Please, do try to make taller sliding doors as well!

I also really agree with your points about build mode. Glad im not the only one!

Message 9 of 9 (707 Views)