Re: Off the grid lot with Windmill and Solar Panels produce no electricity{tl lo

by MoonlitexAngel

Original Post

[NEEDS SAVES] [ECO] Off the grid: Windmill+Solar Panels produce no electricity

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.77.131.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All expansions; all game packs except batuu, outdoor retreat and strangerville; stuff packs I own are tiny living, nifty knitting, movie hangout stuff, vintage glamour, perfect patio, kids room, laundry day
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? create an off the grid lot in Henford-on-Bagley
What happens when the bug occurs? I was doing rags to riches and scrounged together one turbine and one solar panel from Eco L (the ground ones not the roof ones). I had no other electronics (not even lights, I ended up turning them off to try to fix the issue), all I had was a mini fridge from Discover U. The turbine and panel (totalling about $1600) were not enough to power one small fridge (totalling about $250). The fridge would be off all day and turn on for about 30 mins of in-game time over night before turning off again. also, I have made sure I am "storing" electricity and that the panel and turbine are functional and don't need repairng.
What do you expect to see? A panel and a wind turbine should be more than enough to power a mini fridge and a couple of lights. I would also like some clarification in-game about power consumption- why does a mini fridge have a rating of 1 but all lights have a rating of 10? How does this correlate to the bills?
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

no additional info

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title, Adjusted Title

Message 1 of 12 (7,704 Views)

Re: Off the grid lot with Windmill and Solar Panels produce no electricity{tl lo

Hero
@kirstieisbored Does it work on a normal sized lot ? ? Does it work in other worlds than henford ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 12 (7,686 Views)

★★ Apprentice

hi, i haven't actually tried it in other worlds, but I can do so and report back tomorrow

Message 3 of 12 (7,679 Views)

★ Guide
@crinrict I just wanted to add on that you can see this happening in a YouTube video that James Turner uploaded yesterday. It's the one titled "I tried to play The Sims with every lot challenge enabled"
He had four solar panels and a wind turbine and it couldn't power his laptop, fridge, and toaster oven.
I'm not entirely sure if them being broken sucks up power like broken water appliances suck up water so that might've been his issue, but there are people in the comments who said that they've run into this problem as well.
James was playing in Strangerville at the time.
Message 4 of 12 (7,612 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@MoonlitexAngel Mine also. Playing in Henford. I'm living off grid. Only item I have is the fire alarm. Everything else is off grid items. I'm not getting charged for bills, but not showing any differences either.
Message 5 of 12 (7,588 Views)

★★ Guide
@LilSnakeHips Damn. Same here. No electricity production at all! Also in Henford-on-bagley. Seems this pack is just not working at all lol wtf
Message 6 of 12 (7,585 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I googled this title

because it only started happening to me, around a week ago (it's mid november 2021)

Before everything worked pretty well, in Henford-on-bagley (the farming-pack)

and water was 18,000 a day, Electricity during the day was 60k.

Then, maybe 200 a day for both.

Trying to remember what occurred, I remember visiting the flea market to purchase some lamps.

I added more Panels for the roof to get rid of the ground ones.

The front page of the game kept telling me about fashion for men, (men in tights and dresses)

Now that I am here I want to thank you for this thread, it'll keep me from staying up late

wondering what happened, it's normal sims stuff.

But I don't remember an update.

I'll look at my 5280 items on my 64x64 lot to see what's broken, but I don't think it'll help.

Power AND water seem to be affected.

I'm attaching a picture, which shows a heavily modded figure so no matter what happens, my sim will survive,

And she makes 2-million a day from the money trees, 

but it's still a biggie dip in her income.

Message 7 of 12 (7,320 Views)

★★★★ Expert

In my experience:

Electric lights use a ridiculous amount of power, ugh, delete them all.  ALL OF THEM.  Use candles/oil lamps.

Level handiness and apply energy-efficient upgrades to EVERYTHING.

The off-the-grid fridge will slurp up power if you have solar panels or wind turbines unless you specifically click the "remove from utility usage" option. Until you get the upgrade or more solar panels/wind turbines, keep it full of ice.

Without energy-efficient upgrades: I can power intermittent fridge or laptop and get more options on my phone sometimes.

With energy-efficient upgrades: I can power the fridge, laptop, TV, and stove.

Also, after you've run off the grid for a while and have stored up power it's a lot better than when you're starting out.  Maybe apply the geothermal and natural well lot traits until you build up a surplus.

(IOW:  I think that's working as designed.)

Message 8 of 12 (7,307 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I (a week ago) remodeled for a basement, and the pond disappeared from the lot.
I figured I'd just live without a pond, nasty mosquito-ridden smelly things anyway....
But after writing here I got nostalgic for a pond,

put one in and the Power-generation-income jumped to double what it was.

So that's a thing someone could try...stick in a pond, see if it changes anything.

Right this exact second it's generating 134,504  and all I did was add the pond.

It might change in an hour but for now it's real nice.

A day later (this is an edit) it dropped to 3000 a day.

I restarted, and restarted again, and it was back up to 130k.

So...(?)

This can't be the way it's supposed to be, per the last post.

Message 9 of 12 (7,298 Views)

Re: [ECO] Off the grid: Windmill and Solar Panels produce no electricity (tl lot

★★ Novice

I'm having the same issue in Isla Paradiso, using 2 roof wind turbines, giving no electrical output.

Only electrical items are the cheapest fridge (which I've turned off as they're not storing anything), and the cheapest stove (which is also turned off). Power is at -24 and I don't know why, because I'm not using any.

Message 10 of 12 (6,534 Views)