by onemorekayaker

Original Post

[OPEN] [ECO] [JA] Household Does Not Own Item

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.84.197.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? EP01, EP02, EP03, EP04, EP05, EP06, EP07, EP08, EP09, EP11, GP01, GP02, GP03, GP04, GP05, GP06, GP07, GP08, GP09, SP01, SP02, SP03, SP04, SP05, SP06, SP07, SP08, SP09, SP10, SP11, SP12, SP13, SP14, SP15, SP16, SP17, SP18. All expansions. all game packs except DHD and MWS, and all stuff packs. No kits.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have the sim acquire a personal inventory item through non-traditional means, such as dumpster diving and retrieving bicycles, laptops, or dye bottles from Eco; assembling mystic relics from Jungle Adventure; or stealing tablets from work.
What happens when the bug occurs? The game does not recognize the item as belonging to the household, and sims will not be able to put the item into their inventory through the interactions menu (but can grab and drag into an inventory with a mouse if on a lot). If they put the item outside of a lot grid, it will get stuck forever.
What do you expect to see? I expect the item to belong to the household and be able to be put into the inventory without having to drag.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. I don't know the specific patch that impacted this, but dumpster diving and creating relics both worked fine last year.

For whatever reason, the Jungle Adventure relic components (top and base) are considered to belong to the household, but the assembled relic specifically does not belong to the household.

I also think I remember something about this happening to toys one of my kids liberated from a garbage can, but I'm not sure.

Edit By Crinrict: Adjusted Title 

Message 1 of 10 (6,484 Views)

Re: [ECO] [JA] Household Does Not Own Item

★★★ Guide

1.89.214.1030, never modded, PC

There are multiple similar threads, some of which have been merged, and I wasn't sure which to reply to.

After using the dumpster item to dive for deals, some items aren't classed as owned by the Sim.

In the case for my Sim was a Simmi and a Houndstooth Dye. They can be dragged into the inventory manually, but "Put In Inventory" is greyed out and it says the Sim doesn't own the item.

Save: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjmIPAGbIe7QhVsnOlw-OWEYCx_c?e=0jVJo2

Message 2 of 10 (6,271 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

This happens to me. And on the retail lot where my Sims sell items that they rummage/find, the same items aren't able to be marked for sale. Bikes are also a huge issue with this bug. If Sims start riding a bike from their inventory that the game doesn't recognize as "theirs", and then they leave it around in the world somewhere, the bike just gets left there. There's no "put in inventory" option. So, I have SO many bikes littering my world.

The only workaround that I've found is to move the items to household inventory, back to the world, and then back to the Sim's personal inventory. After that the items seem to work fine. But, that's a pain to continually do that.

Message 3 of 10 (6,226 Views)

★★ Guide

Still happening in 1.90.358.1030 (PC, no mods, Everything installed)

When dumpster diving, most draggable inventory items found are not marked as owned by the sim/household.
As someone mentioned above, this causes bikes to get stuck in the world.

In one of my saves I have a flower pot and a frog stuck off lot because I clicked "Place in world" when arriving on the home lot but the sim was not in the grid area. Now the sim cannot interact with the items to remove them (I know there is a workaround using mods).

The issues mentioned here

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-ECO-Sim-cannot-own-sell-dumpster-Full-Wood-Jacket-Bike/m-...

and here https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/ECO-SE-Simmies-that-are-found-by-dumpster-diving-do-not-count-...
look to me like specific instances of this bug (I have experienced both).

I did not check for JA items or "Rummage" items but I didn't want to create a separate post just for dumpster diving

Message 4 of 10 (6,136 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I also found the different threads you linked and I think everything sounds like the same issue. I love playing rags to riches challenges with dumpster diving and I noticed it especially with those items. It`s been like this for a very long time and I wish it would get fixed.

Message 5 of 10 (5,646 Views)

Champion

I've got this with bikes and I've added to that thread. But I also have it with all the other Eco Living found items now too. It used to just be the bikes. Now it's snow globes, Simmies and dyes. It's a few months since I tried the dumpster diving but it never used to be this bad. She's found so many dyes and I actually gathered them for another Sim I'm going to create later. So I've put them all into storage for now until I figure it out.

I don't work for EA. I'm a Volunteer.
+XP for helpful answers from fellow players.
Accept as Solution helps others find the answer.
Message 6 of 10 (5,112 Views)

Re: [OPEN] [ECO] [JA] Household Does Not Own Item

★★★★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? 100%
What is your current game version number? 1.96.397.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get to Work, Get Together, City Living, Cats and Dogs, Island Living, Discover University, Snowy Escape. Outdoor Retreat, Spa Day, Vampires, Jungle Adventure, Realm of Magic. Perfect Patio, Cool Kitchen, Vintage Glamor, Bowling Night, Paranormal. Holiday Celebration Pack, Grim's Ghoulish Guitar.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Create have a sim create a mystical relic and place it.
What happens when the bug occurs? The relic is unowned, and can't be picked up by the sim.
What do you expect to see? The created relic to be owned by the household and be able to be picked up by a sim after being placed, even if it is not placed on the home lot
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? It looks like it came with Jungle Adventure and was an OG bug that never got fixed.

The issue appears with other game add-ons and other game items. Here is a link to the thread about Vampires not owning the elements they create: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/V-Crush-into-elements-causes-unowned-elements/m-p/11643899#M22...

Picture of my sim after having placed a mystical relic in the temple. I totally expected to be able to pick it up again, since it was just in my sim's inventory.

2023-04-05.png

Message 7 of 10 (4,596 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
Is the ANY workarounds or mods to fix this??? My sim worked hard for her collection of all 9 variations, but now she cannot use them!
Message 8 of 10 (4,331 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Still a problem, afraid I don't know any mods that fix it currently. Relics from JA are not considered a valid target for the Burgliate spell, btw.

Message 9 of 10 (3,948 Views)

Hero

• Sims will no longer have difficulty putting Dye Objects discovered from the dumpster into their inventory.

Fixed in Patch 1.104.58/1.86

Leaving this thread open as it was only one thing that got fixed from several reported.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 10 of 10 (1,750 Views)