Re: Diagonal Analog Input is Too Weak

by SD13_CAGE

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@Revive_medicThat’s a great reply, thank you.

I’ll struggle to understand the logic of the choice if they did choose to sacrifice the flight sim people based on the other choices made in the game. I loved that this was pitched as being the ultimate space combat Star Wars game, and with the first person perspective being the only option it’s going to appeal to those who play flight sims (and Ace Combat too!).

I wouldn’t mind if I was doing something weird with the custom mapping and causing an issue, but I’m choosing one of the two preset options that they have given me, and they gave it because there are people who are used to playing sims/flight games.

If they’re going to fix it fine, tell us a rough timeframe and communicate about it. Even if it’s a “this is going to take a while and I would expect it to take about six weeks” I’d be happy as I’d know that they are going to fix it. Equally, if they just turned around and said “get good noob, we’re not changing it” I could make a decision what to do.

It just doesn’t seem to have been play tested, and apart from Ian who responded to that person on Twitter there has been a reluctance from EA to communicate at all, and when the response was there it was as vague as could possibly be.

After BFV I said I wouldn’t buy another EA game because of the myriad of issues that it had, but Squadrons looked like the game I’d been hoping for since X-Wing vs TIE. I wasn’t expecting it to be perfect (and it isn’t); I can live with the ranking system being almost random, and somehow that ISD won’t die in the Fleet Battles tutorial, but I took it for granted that I would be able to fly the bloody thing.

As I said previously, I’ve requested a refund from Microsoft, and I suspect there will be a few more of my friends who will probably do the same. We’re all of an age where we’ve had too long playing flight games to unlearn a couple of decades worth of muscle memory, but more importantly for EA we’re all of an age to have disposable income and spend that income on our hobbies.  

Maybe we’ll look back at this and use it as an example of how not to handle customer relations, maybe we’ll look back and go “wow, that SD13 bloke sure needed to chill out”, but either way it’s pretty average for something that shouldn’t have made it past beta.

Message 31 of 92 (599 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Ditto on pc xbox controller

@Revive_medicDude, every flight sim ever has solved this problem, please don't make apologies for this megacorp making megabux and not getting this well solved control problem right first time.

Message 32 of 92 (573 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Hello @Straatford87

"This post is marked as "solved" so it's easier to find and read for everyone."

This makes no sense to me but I might be missing some information. Why flagging it as "solved" makes it easier to find and read for everyone?
If this thread is a duplicate, could you redirect us to the main thread?

Thanks a lot 

Message 33 of 92 (564 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Dont know if it's relevant but the yaw is slower on mine than the pitch like it should be. I havnt changed the default axis bindings though, x and y for yaw/pitch then the twist axis is roll. 

Do get all the deadzone issues though

Using some cheapo 60 quid plastic thrustmaster.

Message 34 of 92 (553 Views)

★ Guide

I’ve just downloaded the patch and given it a go. The bug is not fixed.

Message 35 of 92 (509 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Dang. That sucks. I was really hoping to play this game. I'm just gonna go ahead and uninstall it now. They got my money with the marketing tactic of appealing to flight simmers. If only I had known that it was going to be Call of Duty controls with a throttle instead of legs I would've spent that $40 on groceries.

Message 36 of 92 (489 Views)

★ Guide
@Revive_medic The frustrating thing is that it sounds like that Ian chap at Motive really made this as a labour of love, but the QA just isn’t there.

I don’t know if it’s a lack of resources to sort things now, or a lack of resources to test it during the build. Either way, it’s the last EA game for me.
Message 37 of 92 (481 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

You can probably work around this on PC by remapping axis (using something like vJoy). When I use my RC transmitter (recognized as a "flight stick"), it works perfectly with throttle + yaw on the left stick, and pitch + roll on the right stick. Really a dream to fly, I just can´t use it because it is lacking buttons. It is not a problem of having it on the same stick, just which axis are being mapped, it seems.

But really, this is a huge disadvantage for all the console players as well (if they swap yaw and roll), they can´t really do anything about it. Since I have no desire to do the remap fiddling, I´m mostly using yaw to compensate which still is a major disadvantage in multiplayer.

Please fix, I find this far more important than the VR / >60 FPS stuttering which I can tolerate for a while, not being able to fly properly on the other hand is gimping my performance and fun.

Message 38 of 92 (473 Views)

★ Apprentice
@Sch1llman I tried this using vjoy/joystick gremlin with my xbox controller, but that doesn't work as the game then registers both my controller input and the remapped vjoy input and freaks out. There's no option in the game to pick whether it's accepting the controller input or the virtual vjoy input.
Message 39 of 92 (448 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@Straatford87 Hi Tom. Hope you're all doing well, I'm sure things are crazy right now. I'm not sure I get the whole reason behind marking this as solved, I think that will lead to underestimating the amount of people that can't play due to the issue. Anyway I'm just providing an update. Despite addressing joystick issues, the last patch didn't really correct the bug, and it doesn't seem to be in the known issues. You might know this already, but just in case. A lot of us still can't play. Anyway, take care!

Message 40 of 92 (445 Views)