Re: Design tool- elongated list

by TheMarbleMortal

Original Post

Hero

Hi @TheMarbleMortal 

Try resetting your user files as described in the factory reset described in this post: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/FAQ-Troubleshooting-Steps-amp-Known-Issues/m-p/3621199

You won't loose anything. Just make sure to not delete any files  and make a backup.

After renaming, repair your game by right clicking on the game in Origin.

Try on a new game with nothing added back first (start new game). If it works, put back your save game and try again. If it still works, you can start putting stuff back.

• Options.ini (or just re-set all your settings manually)
  • Tray Folder
  • Screenshots/Videos/Custom music
  • Rest of the save games (leave out slot_00000001.save which is the autosave and no longer needed - if you still have it)
  • Custom content like clothing, hair, skins, make up ....
  • ConfigOverride, if you have your own configuration files.
  • Mods (one by one, making sure they all still work)

The rest does not need putting back, cause they are mostly cache files that recreate or log files that are not needed for the game.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 11 of 21 (887 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@crinrict I just started the game using a fresh user folder, and the problem remains. I've also noticed that the first time I use the Design Tool after starting the game, the pop-up list looks fine. However, the second time I use the tool, the problem appears. I first noticed this in my regular game, but the same thing happened when I used a fresh user folder.

Message 12 of 21 (870 Views)

Hero
@tastethevenom Hm. I tested my game again and I can't duplicate this at all.

Don't think it has anything to do with your graphics card but what are you using ? are your drivers updated ?

If you create a new windows user and test there, does it happen too ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 13 of 21 (864 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@crinrict I’m playing on a 2015 MacBook Pro running the latest version of macOS Catalina. Sorry for not mentioning this earlier!

Message 14 of 21 (859 Views)

Hero
@tastethevenom Can you try a new mac user then ? As OP is on PC, it doesn't' look like a mac issue.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 15 of 21 (847 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@crinrict Just started the game on a new user, but the problem remained.

Message 16 of 21 (832 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@tastethevenom Very strange. It doesn't' seem a very common issue and since it's happening on both Mac and PC, that makes it even stranger.

Maybe someone else has other ideas.

EDIT: Moving this back to bugs.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 17 of 21 (810 Views)

★★★ Novice

It is actually quite a common issue. I asked around on our Tumblr community for help but lots of other players said they have the same issue but are too tired to try to fix it or look for help, as bugs are so common anyway. But for someone like me who uses a Scandinavian keyboard which for some reason does not have the keybinding which allows you to flip through swatches, it makes building and recoloring furniture really slow and annoying.

Message 18 of 21 (728 Views)

Can't See Item Swatch Icons (Too Much Extra Space In Menu)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.75.125.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get Together, Snowy Escape, Outdoor Retreat, Dine Out, Strangerville
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Once in Build Mode, place an item down then click on the item with the design tool, twice or more.
What happens when the bug occurs? When you use the design tool on a placed item, the swatch menu will pop up with all this extra space underneath the swatch icons, making it so big it will go off screen and make you unable to see any of the swatches. The first click will usually display the menu normally but any click after that it doesn't.
What do you expect to see? I expect the swatch menu's size to be relative to the amount of swatch colours present and not have all this extra space that blocks the view.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I've attached some photos below. As you can see when using the Sims 4 camera you cannot even see any of the swatches as they cut off screen. Using the Sims 3 to lower the view helps but there's still all this extra space for no reason, and when you're working in tight spaces it doesn't help much as all the extra white space will block the item you want to see switching swatches.

Message 19 of 21 (695 Views)

Re: Can't See Item Swatch Icons (Too Much Extra Space In Menu)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Can this thread be renamed to something that's more easily searchable for other people that are experiencing the same issue? I'm still dealing with this problem and I have a hard time believing no one else is as well.

Message 20 of 21 (595 Views)