by The_Tibber

Original Post

Re: DXGI-DEVICE-ERROR-REMOVED (new)

★ Guide

put 12 cores, still crashed.

Message 61 of 99 (506 Views)

Champion

Hmm lets just go with 4 cores just incase the wattage is still too high.

Message 62 of 99 (494 Views)

★ Guide

Just played heaps of games with my mates without a single crash. However I dont want to get my hopes up  on the chance that they're gonna be shot down again.

Tomorrow gonna give it another session, and if there are no crashes then its quite possible that this is the problem. Say if this is indeed the problem, what steps would one perform in order to fix this power problem?

Ty for helping this much Standard smile

Message 63 of 99 (484 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Okay so before anything else are you able to check the pins on the motherboard are not bent under the CPU?

I just want to be sure the issues we are getting with the CPU are only the power nothing else.(may even be a combination of both)

You can watch this so you know what to look for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1H5_FVX9lU

The tl;dr is make sure all the pins look uniform, if unsure take 4 pictures of the socket at different angles above below left and right then post them here so i can look at them.

This is the final test/check.

If the CPU socket is fine and the issue is the power this is the kind of PSU we are looking at to replace your old one: https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/hxi-series-2017-config/p/CP-902...

Now, you can RMA your old PSU for a refund through Thermaltake and explain that it was not compatible with your setup (you may need the box it came in to pack it all back up)

If you brought this from a street retailer then check your receipt date and their warranty/return period. (you can call them up to check)

The warranty of the PSU is two years from thermaltake.

If possible try get a refund through the street retailer as it avoids the delivery costs etc.

Corsair PSU's maybe a bit more expensive but their warranty is 10 years so its something you can rely on.

So the solution at time of writing is changing the PSU to supply enough power to the CPU with the correct connectors.

Message 64 of 99 (466 Views)

★ Guide

Got the error again on 4 cores

Message 65 of 99 (448 Views)
Highlighted

Champion

Okay,

1. Are you able to borrow a PSU at all? any wattage.

2. Check your CPU socket for bent pins as mentioned before.

You can check the CPU socket for the bent pins now.

The PSU is a test for the power. (i dont know how AMD handles its power saving settings and may have spiked in power draw)

but we really need one for process of elimination.

Message 66 of 99 (442 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I did check for pins previously before my last post, forgot to mention. They were pristine, nothing out of line from any angle.

I do have a 950w PSU but its a bit sketchy, and by that i mean its hella old (like coming up on 6 years, not to mention it wouldn't power up the previous PC unless jumpstarted. hard to explain).

One thing that I should note, after the 4 cores crash i decided just to revert the CPU back to 12 cores in msconfig. The CPU usage was maxing out at 100% when playing apex, so in order to get better performance i just put it back to normal. After i did this and restarted i was able to play like a 4 hour long session with my mates without any fps problems or crashes.

However once i took a break, came back and opened apex again, first match in the DXGI error returns. Weird stuff but not sure if that means anything.

I guess i'll try out this old 950w PSU. If all else fails i've already made contact with the retail place and can send the whole thing back for testing if need be. 

Cheers.

Message 67 of 99 (425 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Alright, do you know how to trip a PSU on without using a motherboard? (ill explain how to if you don't)

All you need to do is remove your side panel, connect the ATX or CPU connector in the open power slot on your main system, start up the PSU then start the main desktop.

Test out the game and see if this remains stable. (have all cores active)

Two things to remember:

1: High framerate requires more CPU power on top of GPU so if your making more frames in games then more CPU resources are needed.

2: The errors you get are more likely based around the power draw of the cpu, cpu power draw is not consistent in games.

If you can get the old PSU to start up withe the sketchy issues as mentioned thats great.

You can run a system with a open side panel just remeber to keep things away from it.

Message 68 of 99 (418 Views)

★ Guide

Would you be able to run that by me again? Is it not as simple as just replacing the current psu with this backup one?

Message 69 of 99 (399 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Nah it saves a lot of rewiring.

You connect up the old PSU into the wall and connect the CPU or ATX plug into the motherboard with the missing power sockets.

you can leave the PSU box on the top of the system if you like.

Then find the 24pin connector on the OLD PSU you would use on the motherboard and grab a paper clip/wire.

then put the paper clip in these two holes:

This will trip the PSU on then you can turn on your PC with your current PSU together. (make absolutely sure its the right holes on the picture and use the clip side as a refrence)

That way you wont have to remove all the power connection n such just to test, you can share the load/plugs between two PSU's.

Message 70 of 99 (389 Views)