by ImKersha

Original Post

[OPEN] [DU] Scared Servos don't have appropriate facial expressions

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.70.84.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? eco lifestyle, discover university, get famous, seasons, cats and dogs, city living, get together, get to work; realm of magic, strangerville, jungle adventure, vampires, dine out; nifty knitting, tiny living; moschino, laundry day, toddler, vintage glamour, romantic garden, movie hangout, spooky, perfect patio
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? play with a servo as your active sim and wait for an occasion in which they experience the new scared emotion - during a thunderstorm, or with the paranoid trait are good options.
What happens when the bug occurs? the servo plays the animations for being scared etc. but has no facial expression (like when they 'recharge').
What do you expect to see? I expect the servo to have a facial expression for the scared emotion like it has for all other emotions, like the expression it is given in its portrait.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. scared emotion patch

Relatedly, while a servo normally has all 'sleep' interactions on beds renamed to 'recharge', when in the scared emotion the interactions change back to 'sleep'.

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title, Adjusted Title

Message 1 of 6 (2,553 Views)

Re: [DU] Servos + Scared Emotion

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

I've also noticed this. First I just thought it was the bug of that the servo's facial expression disappears just randomly, which sometimes happens with just any emotion, but having a paranoid servo I've now noticed that they NEVER have a facial expression when scared.

Message 2 of 6 (2,480 Views)

Re: [DU] Scared Servos don't have appropriate facial expressions

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Yeah, this is an issue I've noticed recently myself.

In the meantime until when & if they fix the issue, I figured out how to make a fix myself and just shared it over on MTS: 

(CM: edited to remove mod link. Please read this thread for more on linking mods on Answers HQ)

Message 3 of 6 (2,207 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I can confirm that scared Servos don't have proper facial expressions - their faces are simply blank when scared. I believe The Sims Team forgot to design the appropriate facial expression for Servos while working on the scared emotion update.

scared servo no expression.png

Message 4 of 6 (1,956 Views)

★★ Guide

I'm surprised this hasn't got more attention. I guess not many people play with Servos. I'm here to add to the list of people experiencing this.

It appears that when the Scared emotion was added to the game, the coding for Servos was done in such a way that they are supposed to use the Sad expression. The Sims team didn't create a Scared specific expression for it.

They updated the portrait code correctly to use the Sad expression but not the actual Servo itself.

There is a mod to fix this available on MTS. It adds in a modded version of the Sad expression to remove the crying tears just for the Scared emotion.

Personally, I feel that The Sims team should have created an actual new expression as all of the existing ones match the colours of the emotions but the Sad expression, even if it was working, doesn't match the Scared purple.

Message 5 of 6 (1,029 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@Alistu  I completely agree with this, I think the expression should match the scared purple. I think they can have the same eye shape as the sad eyes though.

Btw, about not many people playing with servos, I think it has a lot to do with the servos being hard to acquire. To build one yourself you need high skill in robotics and A LOT of resources and time. The other way to get one is to add an auto-generated one to your household, but I think we should be able to create them in CAS too, just like with the other life states. Therefore I wrote some feedback on this in the feedback part of this forum a while back, you can find it here.

Message 6 of 6 (981 Views)