[DATA COLLECTION] Issues related to: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

by XHelperZ

Original Post

[DATA COLLECTION] Issues related to: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

[ Edited ]
Champion

Hello everyone!

I've noticed that recently there have been many threads regarding the same exact issue, I think it would be easier to post in a single thread to keep the things sorted so it's easier to work with.
I am aware of other rising threads, though it's much easier to have all Data collected in one spot so it's easier to manage instead of going through walls of text.

Ruling out other factors

Please follow these steps before collecting any data:

• Run EAC and Apex Legends with admin privileges
  • Disable any overclocks
  • Clean your computer, reseat your memory and make sure it's just dust free
  • Have your OS updated to the latest version
  • Have all your hardware drivers up to date
  • Run a System File Check: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
  • Start up a command prompt with admin privileges and run a DISM check: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth (If issues are found use this command to repair any files: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth)
  • Run an integrity check to check if all the files of Apex Legends are still intact
  • Make sure to perform a clean boot and check if the game still has these issues: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Following these steps makes sure that there aren't any files that are causing this exact issue, hardware issues aren't ruled out at this point. 

(Hardware seems unlikely as there are many players experiencing this exact issue)

Collecting Data

For anyone that is still experiencing this issue despite having followed all those previous steps please reply with:

• The exact error message(s) you have received (The full error, not just part of it)
  • What you were doing at the time (e.c booting up the game, using x ability, walking at x position on x map)
  • Your idle-temperatures and the average temperature you're running when playing Apex Legends in-game (During a Battle Royale or Arenas game)
  • A DxDiag (Instructions for exporting a DxDiag file)
  • If you are able to instigate a crash and find an exact way to reproduce it, please do also include it in your post.

Next to that, anything that you might find relevant to finding the issue, please do attach it to the post.

I thank you for your time, hopefully we can find what is exactly causing this.

It's most likely just an issue related to an update, though whether that's on the side of Drivers, OS or just Apex Legends itself... well we won't know for now, we'll just need to wait for an official answer.

I think it would be the best to prevent any discussion within this thread, trying to find a fix to this issue might be more relevant in other threads.

You can use this thread to post your own data and retrieve that from other users, I'll be trying to find the cause when I've gotten enough data I'll release an update within this thread.

Temporary Fix: Some have temporarily fixed this issue by disabling shadows, though this hasn't been confirmed to work for every client.

(Forum moderators, please do not move any existing threads into this one, this is purely used for data collection, it might make the thread more messy than it needs to be)

Message 1 of 20 (1,460 Views)

Re: [MEGATHREAD] Issues related to: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

[ Edited ]
Champion

Update to the current situation

(DO NOT UPDATE YOUR NVIDIA DRIVERS TO 512.95)

Well it seems that this issue might be caused by the NVIDIA drivers as expected... 

This means that NVIDIA needs to release a patch to fix this issue and that we will need to wait until it get's released. (That is assuming that this issue is actually related to the driver version)

I'm looking further into this issue, again any amount of information would greatly help!

First DxDiag Posted by @Zendorea 

(If you want me to take this down, please do let me know. Though I find it important to collect data)

I thought it would be for the best to upload your DxDiag to this thread too, this'll help with keeping all the collected data organised.

Message 2 of 20 (1,358 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Win11 seems to be a factor

I've done some research with users, it seems that players using the 512.95 drivers on the NVIDIA 16/20/30 series with Win10 do not encounter any issues.

I haven't gotten enough PC information to see whether or not other users have been getting these crashes, though it seems to be an issue between drivers and Win11.

Win10 users are also experiencing this issue, OS is most likely not the main cause.

I'll continue research with the notion that NVIDIA is at fault here.

Message 3 of 20 (1,353 Views)

Re: [DATA COLLECTION] Issues related to: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Champion

I will post these all on separate posts, do not count this as spam, it's easier to have the data managed in separate posts for me.
If moderators would like this changed, please reach out to me and I'll edit it, rearranging data is much easier than building from a deleted thread.

DxDiag posted by @dark_nuance 

(If you dislike having your DxDiag posted in this thread, reach out to me and I'll gladly take it out!)

Message 4 of 20 (1,264 Views)

Champion

DxDiag posted by @Devator-NL 

(If you dislike having your DxDiag posted in this thread, reach out to me and I'll gladly take it out!)

Message 5 of 20 (1,262 Views)

Champion

DxDiag posted by @XrossGC 

Message 6 of 20 (1,261 Views)

Champion

These latest DxDiags show us that something is off, at least driver-wise.
It's possible that this issue is either not related to NVIDIA or 512.95.
(Chances are that this issue might be related to the 512 versions of the NVIDIA drivers, so we continue with the assumption of this issue still being related to NVIDIA)

The first 2 DxDiag's collected by Zendorea and dark_nuance proves our current situation as correct, they're running both Win11 and the driver version 512.95

(So the crashes are in these cases most likely still caused by NVIDIA or the interaction with the OS)

Though in the following 2 DxDiag's collected by Devator-NL and XrossGC indicate that they are getting these issues despite running an older driver version (under 512)
(One has 497.09, other has 461.92)

I've contacted them both and I've received an answer from Devator-NL.
User did not install the 512.95 driver but thinks they installed the 511.72 version.

Since season 13 he started getting these issues, eventually using DDU to remove remnants and installed an older driver version.
Issue persisted, so either this problem isn't related to NVIDIA or it's much worse than we think it is.
They're thinking:

• One of the 5xx versions broke something on my system which even DDU did not uninstall / revert
  • Season 13 and GeForce cards higher than 1xxx are causing issue

It also seems that these crashes aren't consistent or reproducible by normal means. (Meaning we'd probably need a dev-based client to figure this issue out)
I'll be quoting it here:
"The weird thing is: yesterday evening I played three hours of Apex (ranked, so storm point map) without a single crash. A week ago a played a game and had three in a row in the same match. I don't think there's any way to properly reproduce this issue.."

As for XrossGC, i think we could rule this out as an inconsistency as they're running Win10 and an older version of the drivers.
If he HAS rolled back his drivers then it's possible that this issue could still affect Win10 systems, though i've had no response yet so we won't take this into account.

I've also met an user on discord running with the 512.59 version and isn't encountering any issues, though since i have not received a DxDiag or any other information it won't be of any use.

We're still going to continue with the idea of this issue being related to NVIDIA.

If you are able to reproduce this issue, please report to me and fill out this form for NVIDIA:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSewHJk1xP-C5elLBRCDLTLpNQZ9eiefrdZmUGP9hMCN6gKssA/viewform
This is the fastest way we can work with the data and work to a solution.

Message 7 of 20 (1,210 Views)

★ Novice

turning spot shadows off indeed fixed it for now, was able to play storm point without any crashes so far.

Message 8 of 20 (1,169 Views)

★ Apprentice

So i did try to install some couple of old Nvidia drivers and it still not work. Maybe Apex is the one caused the propplem

Message 9 of 20 (1,085 Views)

★ Guide

I've been encountering the issue and I do NOT have the Nvidia driver version 512.95
NvidiaDriverVersion.png

I'll turn spot shadows back on and see if I can get a DxDiag from the crash sometime tomorrow.

Message 10 of 20 (1,035 Views)