by SimGuruKuxiku

Original Post

Counter unusable when next to platform

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.69.59.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Holiday Celebration Pack
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Place a room and make it the tallest height. Place a wall dividing the room into two rooms. Raise one room 10 clicks, using platform arrows. Place a door in room that's not raised so Sim can access the room. On the side of the dividing wall that's not raised, try to place a counter against the dividing wall. It doesn't work (Can't intersect obstructions). Turn move objects on, place 4 or more counters along the dividing wall. Turn move objects off. Now place cabinets on dividing wall above counters. Place one the lowest allowed (without turning move objects on), the next one a level higher, etc. Turn on testing cheats, switch to Live mode, and then make all the counters dirty. Tell the Sim to clean the counter with the lowest cabinet above it. They won't be able to. Then keep trying to clean counters, from lowest cabinet to highest. The Sim will be able to clean the counter with the 4th lowest cabinet, the one that's completely above the floor level of the opposite side of the wall.
What happens when the bug occurs? If a counter or stove is placed on a wall that has a platform on the other side of it, and there's also a cabinet on the same wall that is any lower than the floor height of the platform on the other side of the wall, a Sim cannot clean counter, use appliance on counter, use sink in counter, pick up object from counter, place object on counter, use stove, or use dishwasher. Trying to do any of those things results in a route failure.
What do you expect to see? A counter, stove, or dishwasher below a cabinet should be usable whether or not there is a platform on the other side of the wall. You should not have to raise a cabinet higher on a wall than usual just because there is a platform on the other side of the wall.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. The patch before Snowy Escape, on 11/10/2020 - the patch that added platforms

A cabinet on the wall prevents a Sim from using the counter below it, if there is a platform on the other side of the wall and the cabinet is any lower than the floor height of the platform on the other side of the wall. This also affects anything placed on or in the counter, as well as stoves.

Also, in this scenario, any cabinet above a counter with a dishwasher in it will prevent the Sim from using the dishwasher, and may even prevent the Sim from cleaning a dish in an otherwise usable sink. Removing the cabinet from above the dishwasher then lets the Sim use the dishwasher or the sink to clean up dishes. This might be a separate bug, I'm not sure if this happens when there isn't a platform on the other side of the wall.

Message 1 of 4 (1,642 Views)

Re: Counter unusable when next to platform

EA Sims Team

Sul sul @omgblvd!

Thanks so much for bringing this issue to our attention and for your detailed explanation. 

I read through your report and have a few follow-up questions for you if you don't mind Standard smile

1. Would you be able to provide a screenshot or a video (or a build that we could download from the Gallery)? This would help our team a lot when investigating the issue. 
  2. Following up on your last sentence regarding the unusable dishwasher: "I'm not sure if this happens when there isn't a platform on the other side of the wall"; did you get a chance to further test this in your game? If so, could you please let us know what you did observe? This will make it easier for us to determine whether this issue you're seeing is potentially a separate issue and requires a new bug report.

Thanks a bunch and Happy Simming! Party hat

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 2 of 4 (1,443 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Now my current game version is 1.72.28.1030
Then I started a new save, and followed my instructions from my post.

The lot is on the gallery as Counters & Platforms, under my username, omgblvd.

The counters (in both rooms) that are currently dirty are the ones the Sim is not able to clean due to the cabinets above. Notice that the counters that are not able to be cleaned are the ones that have a cabinet above them, AND the cabinet is not entirely above the height of the platform on the other side of the wall.

I made a spreadsheet detailing how the placement of cabinets above sinks, dishwashers, and counters interact, located here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19Kh1iAaw5xWGwQ_FOLrj_S9EDb6bgKZQSSmMTcpQHus/edit?usp=sharing

Some more notes:

I noticed that if the dishwasher was running because the Sim was able to "Clean Up" the dish by putting it in the dishwasher, and I put another dirty dish on the same counter the Sim just took the dirty dish (that's now in the dishwasher) from, "Throw Away" is greyed out, meaning the Sim can't wash the dish in the sink and the dishwasher is busy so it can't be cleaned up. This seems to occur when the dishwasher is usable (by "Clean Up" or "Load Dishwasher") but the sink is not usable for washing dishes because there is a cabinet above it, regardless of height of cabinet.

A sink in a counter is unusable for "Wash Hands", "Brush Teeth" or "Get Water" when the cabinet is at all below the height of the platform on the other side of the wall. But if the cabinet is above the height of the platform or if there's no cabinet above the sink, the Sim can do those things.

Please let me know if I can clarify anything!

Message 3 of 4 (1,382 Views)

★ Apprentice

I don’t know if it’s the same bug, but I’m having this problem without cabinets above the counters. I have the counters in one room against a wall that has a platform on the other side and the counters are completely unusable; when I try I get a routing error. I moved the counters away from the wall and they work fine.

Message 4 of 4 (880 Views)