Re: Compilation of long existing Stim bugs that still exist today (Season 9)

by kurozawa6

Original Post

Compilation of long existing Stim bugs that still exist today (Season 9)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Product: Apex Legends
What were you doing when the issue occurred? Shooting/Punching/Switching weapons/Using ziplines
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What happens when the bug occurs? Pistols with ANY optics have insane visual recoil during stim (but ironsights are still normal), can't punch at the end of stim (pulling out the syringe), can't switch weapons during stim while using ziplines.
What should be happening instead? Using optics for pistols shouldn't increase visual recoil during stim (just like with all the other weapons), Octane should be able to melee at the end of stim, and switching weapons must be allowed while stimming and ziplining.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Firing range

Octane Stim Pistol bug demo (also happens with RE-45, P2020, and Mozambique with any optics, while unaffecting ironsights, 100% confirmed to be in Season 9):

Message 1 of 17 (721 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Hi I believe these aren't bugs. 

There are rules around what can be done while hands are busy in this game. I know these are elastic and sometimes don't make sense - see the Octane drawing the bow with his teeth meme - but I believe the zipline thing is as working as it should. Both Revenant and Bangalore have the same restriction, and stimming counts as having a busy left hand. 

Similarly, Mirage is restricted from meleeing -but not reloading- while doing his "deploy" animation, but I'll check to see if I can find any more info on that. 

For the recoil, if I remember correctly the extreme increase in the recoil animation is as intended. 

Word was that some changes to unexpected/unintended 1h behavior have been implemented, so if there's no change to Octane's 1h behaviour, it looks like it's as intended. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 17 (694 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@EA_DavidThe zipline argument makes sense. However, the pistol recoils during stim is definitely a bug. If it was intended, then why does it only affect pistols WITH OPTICS? It should be either both optics and ironsights have more recoil during stim, or neither has unaffected recoil during stim. Furthermore, it's weird that it only affects pistols and not other weapons. If it's intended, it should have been the same for all weapons too. The Alternator for instance would've been even more unstable to shoot 1-handed.

The annoying consequence of this is that it forces Octanes to remove optics from all pistols as ironsights aren't affected by this bug.

Also, Octane should be able to melee at the end of stim. Just because he's pulling his syringe out with his left hand shouldn't mean he cannot punch with the right. If it's intended it would be bad gameplay design.

The pistol recoils with optics and unable to punch at the end of stim are 100% bugs.

Message 3 of 17 (684 Views)

★ Guide

Day 1 of bumping until EA realizes these are actually bugs.

Message 4 of 17 (651 Views)

★ Apprentice

What about not being able to melee while discarding his stim? He can still shoot just fine, why not punch with the same arm he always punches with, he's not holding the stim in that hand.

Message 5 of 17 (643 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@Jekkies

Apparently the choreography of Octane's left hand pulling out the stim is too important to ever so slightly be disturbed by a right punch.

Message 6 of 17 (627 Views)

Community Manager

I'll see if I can get a more solid confirmation on the melee, but for characters which have a similar animation (MIrage's deploy, Valk's flight ending) the behavior is consistent. 

From my testing, and what I got back from QA, there isn't extra mechanical recoil when Iron sights are added, the difference is that the recoil animation seems more extreme because you're zoomed in and have a big chunky sight added to the gun, so the weapon flies wildly across a much bigger part of the screen.

Stand at a set distance and from a wall and pop wingman shots into it, outside of standard random sway changes, the patterns should be very similar. If you have evidence of adding a sight adding mechanical recoil I'll bring this back up. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 7 of 17 (596 Views)

★ Guide

@EA_David wrote:

I'll see if I can get a more solid confirmation on the melee, but for characters which have a similar animation (MIrage's deploy, Valk's flight ending) the behavior is consistent. 

I understand your point, that it's an animation coded similarly with other characters', which seems fair as their animations forbid melee too, and it's convenient as it makes the code uniform. But if it really is an intended game mechanic, then it's bad design as it in no way enhances gameplay experience and is absolutely unintuitive. Furthermore, I don't think it should be too difficult to code the melee animation DURING stim to be used for the AFTER stim animation.

@EA_David wrote:

From my testing, and what I got back from QA, there isn't extra mechanical recoil when Iron sights are added, the difference is that the recoil animation seems more extreme because you're zoomed in and have a big chunky sight added to the gun, so the weapon flies wildly across a much bigger part of the screen.

...If you have evidence of adding a sight adding mechanical recoil I'll bring this back up. 

So I take it that since the bug doesnt produce gameplay effects measurable by bullet holes, it must be ignored? Don't you care at all that your ability to track targets with a character during a tactical is negatively affected when equipping something totally unrelated to the tactical's design (optic sights)? How about if the reticle flies 20 meters up the screen instead of 1 meter? If the devs still reply that it's not a bug, then it would be honestly just utter laziness and having no regard to quality of gunplay, which is one of the most important aspects of Apex Legends.

@EA_David wrote:

the difference is that the recoil animation seems more extreme because you're zoomed in

But x1 optics have the same FOV as Wingman ironsight, and all three x1 optics are affected by this. Couldn't you just code it such that the recoil animations are exactly the same for stim with the only difference being having the left hand missing, just like with the rest of all the weapons in the game?

Message 8 of 17 (583 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Update: Edited the original post to account for previous discussions.

Edit: Day 2 of bumping until EA realizes these are actually bugs...

Message 9 of 17 (578 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Day 3 of bumping until EA acknowledges that these are actually bugs...

Message 10 of 17 (518 Views)