by WvMISKAvW

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Coffeemaker Pie Menu Missing 'Grab A Drink' Option

★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.71.86.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Seasons, Cats & Dogs, Get To Work, Discover University, Get Together, Island Living, City Living, Get Famous, Snowy Escape, Parenthood, Dine Out, StrangerVille, Outdoor Retreat, Spa Day, Realm Of Magic, Vampires, Toddler Stuff, Laundry Day, Luxury Party Stuff, Vintage Glamour Stuff, Movie Hangout Stuff, Tiny Living Stuff, Backyard Stuff, Spooky Stuff, Nifty Knitting Stuff, Cool Kitchen Stuff, Paranormal Stuff, Bust the Dust Kit
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Buy a Coffeemaker and make Coffee then try to use the Coffeemaker as usual; taking cups of coffee and drinking them. Then fully upgrade the Coffeemaker and try again; have sim make a pot of coffee and see if they can 'grab drinks' from the coffeemaker. For me, the issue happens on BOTH Fully Upgraded and Non-Upgraded Coffeemakers. The only way I've found to work around this issue, after testing numerous Coffeemakers both Fully Upgraded and Non-Upgraded, is to put the Coffeemaker into the Household Inventory, then switch back to Live Mode and then go back into the Household Inventory and put the Coffeemaker back into the world. After doing this, the 'Grab A Drink' option is restored in the Coffeemaker Pie Menu and my Sims can drink coffee.
What happens when the bug occurs? When the bug occurs the Sim will just stand there after the Pot of Coffee is finished brewing and not automatically pour a cup when the brewing is finished as they usually would. Clicking on the Coffeemaker shows that the option to 'Grab a Drink' is missing from the Coffeemaker's Pie Menu and the only options in the Pie Menu are: Empty and Upgrade, no 'Grab A Drink'. No other sims can 'grab a drink' either.
What do you expect to see? I expect that after brewing Coffee in the Coffeemaker, sims will be able to actually 'grab a drink' of coffee from the coffeemaker and drink it.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Updated to Patch: 1.71.86.1020

Message 1 of 15 (1,314 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Coffeemaker Pie Menu Missing 'Grab A Drink' Option

Hero
@WvMISKAvW Tested this. Made 5 badges of coffee and each time the option was there.

Could you test a fresh save (with no mods) to see if the same happens there ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 2 of 15 (1,302 Views)

All Replies

Hero
@WvMISKAvW Tested this. Made 5 badges of coffee and each time the option was there.

Could you test a fresh save (with no mods) to see if the same happens there ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 15 (1,303 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Hello Crinrict, Thanks for getting back to me, it's appreciated. Standard smile

I was just able to start a game in a Fresh Save and everything was fine with the Coffeemaker - had my sim make several batches of coffee and all worked as it should. Standard smile

I'm guessing the issue in my Old/Original Save must be coming from a CC Toaster I had at one point and recently removed due to 'issues' that started with it not working right. I know that the 'coffee issue' came up after the 1.71.86.1020 patch and when I removed the Toaster in some houses, the coffeemaker worked fine for awhile until it started with the 'issue' it's having now.

I just hope that the issue in my old/original save that I actually play works this issue out and my sims can drink coffee again normally without my having to put the coffeemaker in and out of the Household Inventory so they can. I did make sure to remove the Toaster and (I think) all of its files, but oddly I'm still seeing the toaster in some places and delete those as I find them; I didn't put it in too many places, but don't exactly recall all the places, so when I find them I delete them. I'm guessing that may be the culprit and the reason for this 'coffee issue'.

Message 3 of 15 (1,261 Views)

Hero
@WvMISKAvW Someone else had a similar issue but it was the area around the coffee maker that was bugged and they had to rebuild the whole house for it to work.

That does sounds like a toaster from hell though.

Did you delete the file from your mods folder ? Make sure to delete the localthumbscache file.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 4 of 15 (1,239 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Hello Crinrict, Standard smile

Yes, I've deleted the localthumbscache file; I do that before startup each session as a 'precautionary' step. Wink

You know, the idea of it being the 'area' around the coffeemaker makes sense. I remember early on with this 'toaster / coffee issue thing', that I was shuffling around the kitchen appliances because some appliances, such as the microwave, didn't want to work properly IF it was near that toaster, so I ended up putting the toaster by itself on a counter section across the kitchen! haha

OH MY! I just rechecked my files again to make absolutely SURE I deleted ALL the files and guess what? I missed the ACTUAL Toaster file itself! : O All the files for the toaster (the food files) had the same type of 'file name' and the toaster itself had some obscure file name that didn't match the 'file naming scheme' of the other files, so I completely missed the actual toaster when I deleted the files from the Mods folder. :\

Well, hopefully now all will be rectified and back to normal. My poor sims Need their regular morning coffee to start the day and it's been troubling for them and me! haha

I will test this out when I get a chance and I will report back to let you know if the 'coffee issue' is gone. Standard smile

Many Thanks Again, Standard smile

~Miska

Message 5 of 15 (1,198 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Hello again Crinrict, Standard smile

OK, after some rather extensive 'testing', it seems that the issue with the coffeemaker has to do solely with Completely Upgraded Coffeemakers and doesn't happen with Coffeemakers that have not been Upgraded in any way.

I've tested this in different situations in both residential/home and apartment lots. Also, on one Home Lot I noticed issues with a few surrounding Counters near a Coffeemaker that was having the 'issue'. I also Completely Rebuilt a Kitchen, remembering one of your comments to me on this issue and thought that might help, but no, the Fully Upgraded Coffeemaker still had the issues I've described.

I've purchased Multiple Coffeemakers, of varying types and upgraded them and on All the varying types, once they were Upgraded in Any way (either just 1 of the available upgrades or BOTH) the issue occurred. I've found the best way to go is to NEVER upgrade a Coffeemaker, but at the end of the day, what Sim just wants NORMAL coffee? haha

At this point, I'm really not sure what else I could 'do'. I guess if my Sims want 'excellent' coffee I'll just have to get used to putting the coffeemaker into the the Household inventory and pulling it right back out. Even then, I've noticed that sometimes Excellent Coffee will turn to Normal Coffee once it's been placed and then removed from the Household Inventory.

In addition I did also find that this 'issue' was occurring with the Tea Brewer and only with those that were Upgraded in any way, so this is not just an issue 'isolated' to the Coffeemakers.

Not sure what else I can do to 'test'. This is a very Strange situation. : \

Many Thanks for All Your Help, it's appreciated! Standard smile

~Miska

Message 6 of 15 (1,158 Views)

Hero
@WvMISKAvW Is this still only on that one save ?

I tested an upgraded coffemaker to be sure and have no issues there either.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 15 (1,143 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

I am just posting to let OP know that I also have encountered this problem, once.

I had the most expensive coffe maker, placed in a premade house that I remodeled: Sultry Springside in OS; and on a corner counter with a corner kitchen wall shelf above, the object was upgraded with Infuser and a sim had made coffee.

There was no option to Grab Coffe; and the coffee had been spoiled, but the action Empty was greyed out. To fix it I moved the wall shelf upwards; put the coffee maker in Household Inventory, and then back; and finally bought a new coffee maker of the same type and upgraded it - and the options were there again then. I did not test it further, since these things happens some times.

Message 8 of 15 (1,132 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Thank You DonroaAkashu for the suggestion, but I don't have any shelves in the Kitchens. I do have some Cabinets, but even raising those up wasn't helpful. :\

Message 9 of 15 (1,102 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Hello Again Crinrict Standard smile

Recently I was able to do some further 'testing' on the coffeemaker issue and I noticed a few things that were 'interesting'.

For one, I noticed when Sims make Coffee Autonomously, there are NO issues with them getting the initial cup of coffee or any other sims 'grabbing' a cup afterward.

Usually, I've noticed when the 'issue' is present once I direct a sim to make coffee, they stand and wait for it to be brewed and then when they go to 'grab' the initial cup of coffee when brewing is finished, that action gets Canceled and they are not able to grab that very first cup of coffee nor subsequent cups because the action is then missing from the Pie-Menu.

Also, I notice that Teens seem to have a better time with the coffeemaker and being able to 'grab' the initial cup after the coffee is brewed as well as subsequent cups.

In addition, I started a new family in the same save (after patch 1.72.28.1030) and they don't seem to have the coffeemaker issues at all; I'll still need to further test this, but so far they've had no problems. I'm wondering if the 'issues' are only in the families I've been playing the longest/over 6 months.

As I don't typically have cabinets in the Kitchen in many of my sims' houses, the ones I was testing earlier, I moved all the cabinets up higher, which didn't help, and in some I completely removed the cabinets, with the same unhelpful outcome. However, what I am starting to believe is that this issue ties into the Counters and also has to do with what other items are near or right next to the Coffeemaker. I've been experimenting with 'placement' of the coffeemaker to see if there are any changes/differences and in some cases doing this has been successful, if only for a short time.

In any case, I'll keep testing/experimenting and keep you posted on what is going on with this 'strange issue'.

I think my next step is to Move my 'older' families Out and Back In to their Homes and see if this helps. I will keep you posted on what I find. Wink

~Miska

Message 10 of 15 (1,098 Views)