by RvanJ

Original Post

Chewbacca/Wookiee Warriors Drop Framerate When on Screen

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Product: Star Wars Battlefront II
Platform:PC
What is your issue related to? General
Summarize your bug Whenever Chewbacca or another wookiee is on my screen (regardless of game mode), my framerate drops significantly (I am usually able to run the game at a constant 60+ fps on lowest settings, and it drops me down to about 20 or less). This issue has been present for me since I bought it in December of 2017, but I have only just recently picked the game back up again and it still affects me.
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? IV-Roach
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Can you tell us the date (MM/DD/YYYY) that you saw the bug? 12/20/2017
What time did you see the bug? (HH:MM AM/PM)
In what game mode did the bug occur? Heroes vs. Villains
What is your time zone? PST - GMT - 8:00
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have Chewbacca or a wookiee warrior on the screen (maybe check the fur textures?)
What happens when the bug occurs? My framerate drops significantly
What do you expect to see?
Please select your region North America
AMD or Nvidia Model Number GTX 660 Ti

Message 1 of 10 (1,296 Views)

Re: Chewbacca/Wookiee Warriors Drop Framerate When on Screen

Community Manager (retired)

Hey @RvanJ

Could you post your full DxDiag report? We might need more information about your hardware to help you out.

Thanks!

/Ataashi

Message 2 of 10 (1,244 Views)

★★ Novice

Hey Ataashi,

Thanks for your reply! I can absolutely do that. My DxDiag report is attached to this reply.

Message 3 of 10 (1,229 Views)

★ Guide

Hey folks, I know this is quite an old thread, but I just bought the game recently on steam, and I notice I'm having this same exact issue. Specifically whenever there's a wookiee character on screen, my framerate drops probably >60%.  I can tell because if I'm in the character select screen and I select either chewbacca or the wookiee warrior it does so, even without the level loaded in the background.  I attached my DxDiag.txt if it helps!

Message 4 of 10 (1,068 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Despite knowing this is a very old report, I've endured this issue since Day 1. I just never reported it because my PC is below minimum specs, so it can be blamed.

So despite the necro I'm here to confirm this is indeed something unchanged since day 1 (or at least since they changed the chewbacca/wookiee models).

Message 5 of 10 (1,040 Views)

★ Guide
@RogueZeroRendar Believe it or not, I really do appreciate it. I'm a long, loooong time player, come from the PS4. My PC specs generally run PS4 games at higher frame rates and better quality then on console. I grabbed Battlefront for PC on a sale, and everything runs pretty decently, even on 'High' for me, but those wookiees... it must be something about their fur physics. It sucks because I certainly would like to be able to use them.

It was a steam purchase though, and with 5 hours in already, no refunds. Maybe if I roll back my Nvidia drivers to some arbitrarily old point, it might fix it. PCs are a pain like that sometimes. Or of course, I'm sure if I had a god-like GPU it would probably be fine.

Something that could technically get around it, but make the game look awful, is the texture filtering thingy. The setting that starts at 100 by default but can go much higher? As you lower it the image gets blurrier. That's one way to not be bugged by wookiees, but it looks like you're running it off a gameboy. xD
Message 6 of 10 (1,027 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@Janas-Aurora 
That's weird though. I have this issue in the Selection Screen, in the Podium Screen, and in the Collection Menu. But ingame when either playing with them, or facing them in battle, the framerate isn't affected. I play with every setting on Low, and my PC Specs are below minimum for this game (especially the GPU which is far below the minimum).

About that texture filtering option, I'm not sure what you're referring to. There are 4 sliders in the visual settings: Brightness, Field of View, Motion Blur, and Resolution Scale. Which is the one you call texture filtering? I guess Brightness makes no difference at all, Motion Blur I have in 0 and I probably always have, so I've no idea if it affects FPS. But both Field of View and Resolution Scale do interfere, and a lower value is always better for your frame rate. However I'd recommend changing other settings before messing with these 2.

Message 7 of 10 (991 Views)

★★ Novice

Hey guys, I am sorry for thel reply, but the only way to remove this frame rate drop, would be to buy a new, more powerful graphics card, or lower video/graphics  noticeably. The reason this happens, is likely because of a low amount of vram in your pc, since the game requires ATLEAST 2gb of vram, to run the game decently, and by decently i mean between 30-60fps. I have the GTX 770 2gb on my pc, and I am about to upgrade to a newer one.

Thanks for reading.

Message 8 of 10 (958 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@Akuzawaizu thanks for the info, but I can assure you it isn't necessarily tied to VRAM. I have 4 GBs of VRAM and it isn't anywhere near 100% usage at any time while playing the game. My GPU processing OTOH is almost always at 100%, so that might explain this lag to me. Nonetheless my case is understandable as I use a GPU which is below minimum requirements, like I said previously. But it shouldn't be happening in the way @Janas-Aurora is experiencing, with hardware that is capable of handling this game properly.

Message 9 of 10 (954 Views)

★ Guide
@Akuzawaizu This is not the issue, as my graphics card has 4GB of VRAM.

I do think this issue would be solved by beefing up the graphics card, but this can be said if a lot of games with seriously un-optimized issues, which can always be powered through with a powerful CPU+GPU.

Source: https://puu.sh/H63cm.png
Message 10 of 10 (929 Views)