Re: Cannot edit pre-existing sims (Family relationsips)

by Bucksiii

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[WORKAROUND] Cannot edit pre-existing sims (Family relationships)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Occasionally (10% - 49%)
What is your current game version number? 4
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Sims 4 Deluxe, Snowy Escape, Eco Lifestyle, Discover Univsersity, Island Living, Get Famous, Seasons, Cats and Dogs, City Living, Get to Work. Realm of Magic, Jungle Adventure, Parenthood, Vampires. Tiny Living Stuff Pack, My First Pet Stuff, Laundry Day Stuff, Vintage Glamour Stuff, Spooky Stuff. Holiday Celebration Pack
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? When creating a family in Create a Sim. I made the main sim, added her siblings, parents and her fathers grandparents through the genetic tool. However, some sims are not registered as family members.
What happens when the bug occurs? When I try to correct the family relations in create a sim it says that I cannot edit preexisting sims, even when I am trying to edit with cas.fulleditmode. This started happening when I was creating the family, before I had moved it in to any lot.
What do you expect to see? I have a large family with a set of paternal grandparents, a dad, mother and four children named Mizuki, Hikaru Koji and Tadashi. The paternal grandmother doesn't recognise two of her grandchildren (Koji and Hikaru). The paternal grandfather doesn't recognise two og his grandchildren (Koji and Hikaru). The father doesn't recognise the same two children (Koji and Hikaru). The mother doesn't recognise one of their children named Mizuki, but recognises the others. The last child (Tadashi) recognises all family members)
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I tried taking screenshots, but the create a sim screenshots doesnt show the panel.

Edit By Crinrict: Adjusted Title

Message 1 of 55 (39,313 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Bucksiii No, you need to delete the family you currently have already placed from the save. Then go to map and not choose any family to play 

Click on the icon in the lower right corner that says create new household in cas. Load your gallery and replace the household with the one you uploaded. Now you can change the relationships and then put this family in the game instead of the one you can't edit.

This way you don't have to start from scratch

EDIT: I would make the new one first, then remove the other in case something goes wrong

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 9 of 55 (39,203 Views)

All Replies

★★ Novice

Note: I tried the

Testingcheats true

relationship.add_bit {simID} {targetSimID} family_son_daughter
But it didn't work.

I had marked the dad and the target sim was Koji, the son he didn't recognise.

I tried writing it as:
relationship.add_bit 960968988742910698 960968988399895014 family_son_daughter

and as
relationship.add_bit{960968988742910698}{960968988399895014}{family_son_daughter}

with and without space.

Message 2 of 55 (39,290 Views)

Hero
@Bucksiii What age group are you Sims in ? Sometimes it's not possible to edit cause either they are defined by something else or cause of the age group.

Do you have your family in the gallery ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 3 of 55 (39,268 Views)

★★ Novice

Hey @crinrict I have uploaded the family to the gallery now under the name: Bucksiii Ikeda Family

I have two elders, two adults, two young adults, one teenager and one child.

The problem started occuring before I made the elders and child.
I started out making an adult (Mitzuki) and then had to log off, so I saved her and placed her in an empty lot. Then  I continued the family later where I created the other young adult and teenager (Hikaru and Koji). Then I decided to make their parents too. I made the father first through genetics tool with Mitzuki as base, and then I through the genetic tools with Mitzuki as base again made the mother. But then the parenthood started to bug as I couldn't edit all the relations. I thought I would be able to fix the problem with a cheat in the game, so I continued making the family adding the dad's grandparents and the last child in the family. But as stated, once the family was made I couldn't fix the problem.

Message 4 of 55 (39,250 Views)

Hero

HI @Bucksiii 

I think the reason you can't change it, is cause they already have a parent .. unknown

If you look at the family tree, this occurs

Bild_2020-11-22_110534.png

Have you played with them already in your game ? Can't you just replace them from the one you just uploaded for me, and newly place them in the game ? You can change it that way.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 5 of 55 (39,237 Views)

★★ Novice

Hey@crinrict

I haven't played them in the game yet, I put them on a lot but I didn't want to start without the family being sorted first.

I don't know why it says they have a different mother, cause they shouldnt.

But the problem occured as I made those three sims first, then through genetics made their dad and their mom. Somehow it registered the dad as their parent but not the mom. I then made the grandparents and the kid last.

Since I haven't played them yet I have started working on the same family anew in CAS, where the family relations are correct. But it is sad that I had to start all over again, since it took a long time to create them in the first place. So my reason for reporting it, is to hope to find some sort of solution in cases like this so you can edit the family relations and they don't get locked. I saw in reports that other people had this problem too back some years ago, where the problem seemingly was fixed with a patch.

Message 6 of 55 (39,223 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Bucksiii Were you not able to change them from the family you uploaded ?

Like put those in CAS again and edit

That's how you want them, right  ?

Bild_2020-11-22_153928.png

Don't know why the game created an empty father/mother but it's the reason why you can't edit them.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 55 (39,217 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hey @crinrict 
I tried but I don't seem to be able to.

Am I doing it right?

I am on the worlds screen, then click on manage households

The family comes up as not in world as I removed them from the lot/evicted them.

Then I click on the edit button and enter CAS.

From there I can't change any of the relationships at all.

Edit: I also tried placing them on a lot again and then editing them in CAS, which doesn't work either.

Message 8 of 55 (39,211 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Bucksiii No, you need to delete the family you currently have already placed from the save. Then go to map and not choose any family to play 

Click on the icon in the lower right corner that says create new household in cas. Load your gallery and replace the household with the one you uploaded. Now you can change the relationships and then put this family in the game instead of the one you can't edit.

This way you don't have to start from scratch

EDIT: I would make the new one first, then remove the other in case something goes wrong

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 55 (39,204 Views)

★★ Novice

@crinrictThank you so so much!

That fixed the problem completely. Thank you very much for your time and your help, I wasn't aware you could do it like that and couldn't find any guides on it.
I really appreciate it! Party hat

Message 10 of 55 (39,202 Views)