Re: Cannot edit pre-existing sims (Family relationships)

by ldn2la

Original Post

Re: Cannot edit pre-existing sims (Family relationships)

★★★★★ Apprentice

This is happening to me since the latest patch I think because I was able to do it before then. I can't edit the relationships of generated townie families even with full edit mode on. It doesn't even grey it out, I just press on the options and nothing happens. In one example, I even deleted the kids in the family, and just kept the wife and husband and it wouldn't let me change them to just household members.

Also before this bug, if you would set someone's child as older than them it would automatically make them just household members now i'll have a young adult and set their child as an elder and it keeps them as their child, how does that make sense?

Message 21 of 55 (1,539 Views)

Re: Cannot edit pre-existing sims (Family relationsips)

★ Novice

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I am having this same problem…… except when i try and download them as a new household from the gallery, it has one parent automatically set as an aunt. and i can’t change it.

Message 22 of 55 (1,434 Views)

Hero
@24bookworm68 Do you still have them in your gallery ? What's the name ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 23 of 55 (1,415 Views)

★★★ Guide
@crinrict Omg thank you so much for the work around, it worked for me!
Message 24 of 55 (1,302 Views)

Unable to Add Parents & Family Not Showing Up

★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? Unknown, but was updated just today
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Cats & dogs, city living, discover university, get famous, get to work, get together, jungle adventure, wedding stories, vampires
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? In CAS and in game
What happens when the bug occurs? Unable to add parents to existing sims in one specific household while I am totally able to do that in other households.
What do you expect to see? I expect all family members to show up on each of their family trees and to be able to create parents in this household like I can with other households.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I tried to create a parent to an existing sim in an existing household. When I clicked on relationships, however, no mother or father options were showing. I can create a parent through genetics, but once I click the checkmark, it automatically changes to household member, and no parent options are shown. The two sims I wanted to create a mom for also had an uncle from their late father; when I look at the sims' sentiments, their relationship is shown as uncle and nephew and uncle and niece; however, when I look at their family tree, they are not shown on each other's family tree which didn't happen when the two sims father was still alive. I've tried removing mods and repairing the game, which didn't help. I wonder if the dead sim is causing the bug.

Message 25 of 55 (1,256 Views)

Re: Unable to Add Parents & Family Not Showing Up

Hero
@ALiu950296 Bit unsure who you want to add a parent too but on the pictures, they already have one (even if they have no picture, greyed out) and this prevents from adding new ones.

If that's not it, maybe you could add some indicators to your pictures on who you want to give a parent too ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 26 of 55 (1,233 Views)

★★ Novice

@crinrict I am trying to add a mom to siblings Azula (the one with a bun and bangs) and Zuko (the one with a scar on his eye). As you can see, they have a deceased father, but I didn't make their mom, so I'm trying to make them one now. Iroh is their late father's brother which is what I set as their relationship in CAS, and they all showed up in the family tree when Ozai (the children's late father) was alive. Now that Ozai is dead, however, their family tree is now separated for some reason; when I open their biography, Zuko and Azula are still shown as his niece and nephew, and Iroh still shows up as their uncle, but when I look at their genealogy, they are not shown on each other's family trees.

Message 27 of 55 (1,195 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@ALiu950296 The game created a dummy mom for them so the game think they have a mom which is why you can't edit one in. You might be able to add one via a mod or with cheats (those tend to mess up though)

As for the separate tree, there are several thread floating around for family trees not looking as they should but I don't know what the current status on those is. Try searching the bug forum for family tree to see if there's any issues that are the same as you're seeing and post in those.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 28 of 55 (1,178 Views)

Relationships with pre-existing sims

★★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.95.207.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Depends on the pre existing sim
What happens when the bug occurs? A pre-existing Sim cannot have a parent or two parents at a time. When I go to edit said sim the option to have father/mother is absent. The play with genetics also removes the relationship.
What do you expect to see? I should be able to change a relationship to mother and father at will with cas.fulledit mode.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

This has been an issue I've had for years but with the new expansion focusing on family I decided to see if theres a fix. For the longest time I have tried to give a sim I created parents. I've managed to get a mother, but a father isn't possible unless I get rid of the mother relationship. It honestly makes no sense. I can't even create the parent in play with genetics because it removes the relationship instantly. It shows the father on the family tree as a blank profile, nothing should block the relationship. This has needed fixed and ive seen others complain about the same issue. I could technically add them to a new save and it works, but ive had this save since 2014 and my household is to large to keep every relationship if I did that. This shouldn't be an issue. 

Message 29 of 55 (1,167 Views)

Cas.fulleditmode on but can't make Gunther & Cornelia Mortimer's Parents, etc.

★★★★ Apprentice

I am in the unfortunate position of having to re-connect family trees (which as we know, are already limited to begin with) because there was an issue in my Save File that I was building, so I'm moving the families & their extended families over to a new Save File. I have cas.fulleditmode on by default, due to MCCC. In my previous save, the Goths/Goth Sr./Bachelor/Crumplebottom families were all connected, so I assumed I'd be able to do so again.

In the new Save File, I was able to connect the main Goth family (Mortimer, Bella, Cassandra & Alexander) to Bella's extended family (Simis, Jocasta & Michael) with no problem, and then I split them into 2 separate households. But I've encountered an issue: when I try to connect the Goth Sr. household to the Goths, I do not have the ability to do so. For example, I cannot make Mortimer Gunther's son, nor can I make Gunther Mortimer's father; the only option that comes up is fiance (Please see photos below).

Why was I able to connect Simis & Jocasta (both elders) as Bella's parents, and her children's grandparents, but I cannot connect Gunther & Cornelia (also both elders) as Mortimer's parents, and the grandparents of Cassandra & Alexander?

And why was I able to make Michael Bachelor Bella's brother, and the uncle of Cassandra & Alexander, but now I can't make Agnes & Frida Mortimer's aunts, even though Agnes recognizes Cornelia as her sister, and Frida recognizes Gunther as her brother, because I cannot link Gunther & Cornelia as Mortimer's parents in the first place!

Can't make Gunther Mortimer's Father.png

Can't make Mortimer Gunther's Son.png

Like I said, cas.fulleditmode is on by default and I don't understand why there is an issue, when everyone was able to be connected in the previous Save File. And I don't understand why I can connect Bella's family without issue, but not Mortimer's family.

If anyone has any insight on how to get the game to cooperate again, please let me know!

Thanks.

Message 30 of 55 (1,141 Views)