Original Post

Accepted Solution

[OPEN] Cannot connect fences to house with foundation

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.68.154.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Almost all of them
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Build a room, raise it so it has foundations by any amount. One is enough. Try to build a fence that touches the foundation. EDIT: For clarity, the fence should be on the ground and connect to the raised house. Previously this was possible. If you drag the fence from the foundation it will build foundation under the fence, that's not what I'm talking about.
What happens when the bug occurs? It won't build the fence it says conflicting block clusters.
What do you expect to see? A fence built there, like before.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. The last patch for Snowy Escape is when I noticed this, before platforms this was okay as it should be for houses to have enclosed yards.

In order to raise my houses without raising the fences I have to delete the fences touching the house and raise it or I get foundations under my fences. I can't put the fences back like I could previously. This makes my backyard wide open and all my garden beds open....and it's just ugly. My other option is to raise the fences up but there's no nice foundation paint that comes out as far as they do so they always end up sticking out and looking a bit floaty or I have to stick a foundation paint on that juts out more than the fences and they look gross that way too Frown.

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title, Adjusted Title

Message 1 of 13 (7,917 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Cannot connect fences to house with foundation since last patch

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@yuk75Ok I can replicate this with difficulty. Basically if the fence was once drawn from a wall on a foundation, even if you delete the bit that was touching that wall and lower the fence so it no longer has a foundation, you get that error when you try to join it to a block on a foundation of a different height from the original wall it was joined to. If I start with a completely new fence that was never joined to a wall on a foundation it accepts joining to whatever height block you take it to.  If this is the same as what is affecting your build, then you probably have to delete all the existing fences and start over, after you have all your room blocks at the height you want them to stay.

View in thread

Message 7 of 13 (7,764 Views)

All Replies

Hero
@yuk75 Would you mind uploading your build to the gallery for testing ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 13 (7,835 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Sure if you search the gallery for "Grey Hallow" my it should be the latest one, under the same username.

I've also uploaded a video (apparently .avi is not valid....maybe considering that's what the game records as that should be reconsidered? lol https://youtu.be/AwL9QPX9FTM it's only 3seconds), unfortunately the error doesn't show but it says conflicting block clusters.

As proof you could do this prior to the update my other build, "Cullen Family Home Gen 1" (Fits in the vampire world) has a front left fenced area on ground level connecting to a one block high foundation, and a back yard hedge which connects to a house with foundation as well as a porch. If I remove and try to reconnect these in my current save it works fine but not on my new build, on Grey Hallow it's always errors.

EDIT: For clarity I have edited my OP to explain the fence needs to be ground level touching a foundation. Since platforms it hasn't worked for me.

EDIT 2: I was unable to test this on my previous build before the update today but I wonder if the update had some kind of compatibility mode for old builds as a workaround to get stairs working, or if it's using different settings somehow for older lots. My older lots are behaving exactly as expected, but not my new save with completely new lot.

Message 3 of 13 (7,825 Views)

★ Guide
@yuk75 THis is still working as expected for me after today's (crash-fix) patch and before. I have always found it depends what direction you draw the fence. If you start off at the building and drag the fence away, then the fence goes up and down with foundation. If you start away from the house and drag towards it before joining to the house then the fence stays stuck to the ground.
Message 4 of 13 (7,795 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I have the same problem, but I can fix it just by extending the fence by clicking the fence itself and move the arrow to connect it to the house. 

Message 5 of 13 (7,790 Views)

★ Guide

@IngeJones wrote:
I have always found it depends what direction you draw the fence. If you start off at the building and drag the fence away, then the fence goes up and down with foundation. If you start away from the house and drag towards it before joining to the house then the fence stays stuck to the ground.

I don't think you fully understand what the problem is. I'm doing that and it's telling me it can't draw the fence because of "conflicting block clusters" error.

@Nyxend wrote:

I have the same problem, but I can fix it just by extending the fence by clicking the fence itself and move the arrow to connect it to the house. 

If I try that it doesn't work either. It just gives me the same error "conflicting block clusters".

Message 6 of 13 (7,776 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@yuk75Ok I can replicate this with difficulty. Basically if the fence was once drawn from a wall on a foundation, even if you delete the bit that was touching that wall and lower the fence so it no longer has a foundation, you get that error when you try to join it to a block on a foundation of a different height from the original wall it was joined to. If I start with a completely new fence that was never joined to a wall on a foundation it accepts joining to whatever height block you take it to.  If this is the same as what is affecting your build, then you probably have to delete all the existing fences and start over, after you have all your room blocks at the height you want them to stay.

Message 7 of 13 (7,765 Views)

★ Guide

@IngeJones wrote:

If I start with a completely new fence that was never joined to a wall on a foundation it accepts joining to whatever height block you take it to.

I don't want the fence on a foundation though, I want it on the ground. I'm glad you found part of the issue though hopefully they can fix that and maybe it will fix mine too. I want these fences on the ground, my previous builds do allow that. I'll try deleting the fence and see if that helps.

Message 8 of 13 (7,747 Views)

★ Guide

@IngeJones wrote:

Thank you that worked!! Hopefully EA fix it up Standard smile

Message 9 of 13 (7,730 Views)

fences not extending to connect to wall/foundation

★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.70.84.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? all but Eco Lifestyle, Get Famous, Star Wars, Outdoor Retreat, Jungle Adventure and Dining Out Stuff packs have: Cool Kitchen, Fitness, Kids Room, Laundry, My First Pet, Nifty Knitting, Spooky and Toddlers
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? In build mode, extend existing fence to wall or foundation. Can draw fence to connect to wall but then unable to extend or shorten fence once connected. Doesn't matter if wall is on foundation or not. Does not happen when connecting different fences.
What happens when the bug occurs? I get message "cannot make changes outside owned area". And I am unable to connect fence.
What do you expect to see? The fence connect to wall or foundation.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Started occurring after installing last expansion/game/stuff packs. I tried bulldozing house/lot and downloading lot from gallery. I tried different lots and different saved games.

Message 10 of 13 (7,244 Views)