by QuasiWicked

Original Post

[NEEDS SAVES] Can't set two mothers/fathers as parents in CAS

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Occasionally (10% - 49%)
What is your current game version number? 1.75.125.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? I have every expansion, every game pack, and every stuff pack except Nifty Knitting, Moschino, Laundry Day, Fitness, and Bowling Night
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? It occurred in CAS when I tried to make a family with a married couple (two women) and two daughters (that both were mothers to).
What happens when the bug occurs? No matter what I did, I couldn't get the girls to register as the daughters of both women until I briefly made one woman a man (I tried customizing her gender first, it didn't work) so she could be made the girl's father and the woman's husband. Upon switching her back the relationship was retained, so there was a fix. Previously I hadn't even noticed the issue and in game each daughter had one woman each as a mother and were recognized as half-sisters. I saved the family to m library, moved to a new save, and started a new household to try again where I reencountered the issue (but came up with the fix). That being said I couldn't replicate the issue with any other same-sex couples I made trying to figure out what had happened
What do you expect to see? A family with a married lesbian couple with two shared daughters.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

I'm not sure what to put here I think I've covered everything. I didn't take any screenshots unfortunately, I didn't realize this service existed. I resolved the issue on my own but if anyone has a similar issue or a Dev sees this and wants to look at the issue at the source.

Edit: Further info: this issue predated the last patch and pack. Sorry about the jokey title I didn't know what else to say

Edit By Crinrict: Adjusted Title to reflect issue better

Message 1 of 18 (4,696 Views)

Re: CAS hates lesbians maybe (Relationship Issue)

★ Guide

This is a game issue, I have a sim who adopted/had babies with another woman and the game doesn't recognise one of them as a parent, and it's kind of random which one it will recognise.....I think the parent fields are gender locked.....which is a huge issue for same sex couples, I wonder if it also affects other kinds of sims....They do show up in the family tree though, but when you hover over them they don't recognise as family which is super sad.

Message 2 of 18 (4,632 Views)

★★★★ Expert

I had a married lesbian couple adopt and they were both counted as mothers.  (I do use mods, but I didn't used to and thought that it was based on marital status as to whether both parents "counted.")  I've never tried to create a lesbian couple with children in CAS, however. 

The game tries to be inclusive but sometimes you can find heterocentric roots.  You just have, I think. 

Message 3 of 18 (4,619 Views)

★ Guide

Ahh that might be my problem I used mods to allow sims to get pregnant to each other regardless of gender lol......good to know adoption works though!

Message 4 of 18 (4,603 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@xochiquetzl_xkvn I would credit it more towards the developers not thinking that far when it came to same sex couples, doesn't mean they were intentionally trying to leave anything out or were doing it to discriminate or anything. I mean this is EA we're talking about, and they don't seem to think things through all the time.

Message 5 of 18 (4,579 Views)

★ Guide

@valohim666 they weren't saying they were doing it intentionally, just that it comes from assuming that heterosexuality is the "default" so to speak. And it does come from that sort of thinking, there's no denying that. If that weren't the line of thinking the game would simply pick one or more parents to assign to each sim, based on birth or adoption or what ever was set in cas and it wouldn't be gender locked. Hell we might even be able to have poly relationships, open relationships, and more if the code wasn't so locked to what is considered "default".

Message 6 of 18 (4,572 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@yuk75 The overall point of what I said is that you can't expect EA to get everything right, and in no way was I trying to accuse them of saying it was intentional that was simply me adding that to the conversation. I mean just look at all the things they try to incorporate into the game that don't work properly, or is just flat out broken. There's no telling if EA attempted to have these sort of relationship links in there or not, I mean if they did it sure as hell wouldn't be the first time they messed up relationship links.

So again, this is EA, they mess up this game all the time. I'm not trying to say they have or haven't tried adding these into the game because I don't know, but considering the massive number of problems this game has had over the years (which again includes all sorts of relationship problems) you have to look at things from both sides and not just one and I'm trying to see both sides of the fence.

Message 7 of 18 (4,556 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

I do use MCCC, too, so...  It did work in my most recent "married lesbian couple adopts" thing.  I mostly use MCCC "Allow Same Sex Try for Baby" these days, though.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to diss the devs and designers! I was just saying that our society sometimes comes with assumptions, you know, and that times have changed even since the game was released.  So they do try, and I applaud how good a job they usually do, but sometimes you find some "Oh yeah this was set up with the assumption that there would be a father and a mother, oops" stuff if you dig deep enough. Like, that happens if you retrofit sometimes.

(Seriously, guys, like the DHD trailer with the kid's room with a trans pride flag?  YOU GO.) 

Message 8 of 18 (4,527 Views)

★ Guide

@xochiquetzl_xkvn yes I'm using MCCC try for baby too, it's allowed my couples to have kids but it doesn't recognise their relationship in CAS or Relationships Panel. It does in the family tree though. Hope they fix this one soon.

Message 9 of 18 (4,501 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@yuk75  Really?  Weird. That's what I'm using, too, and...  Random example from another thread:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/735942485385412660/856226973331882014/unknown.png

The redheaded guy is adopted and his sister is their bio child.  Both parents count as mother for both children, even though Cassandra adopted the boy and her wife gave birth to the girl.  They count in both the family tree and the relationships panel;  I haven't tried CAS.

[Edited to add]

Okay, I looked.  I wasn't able to open the Son's relationship panel from the mothers' POV because they've learned one of his likes/dislikes (bug), and also I recently moved him out, but...

The adopted son similarly has both his mothers listed as Mother.  This is the parent that DIDN'T do the adoption...

And this is the parent who did:

I have no idea what I might be doing differently! aside from the family being created in gameplay rather than through CAS, which it sounds like you're doing, too!

Sorry for the screenspam but SO WEIRD!

Message 10 of 18 (4,481 Views)