by CountSoluku

Original Post

Can no longer ping on the map after doing a button remapping

★★ Novice

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:Sony Playstation 4
Please specify your platform model. Sony PlayStation 4 Slim
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? CountSoluku
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible. DYP_analyst
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)? Caustic
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)? Lifeline, Octane
Where did the issue occur? In a match
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. When I open the map, I am unable to ping locations
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. Attempting to ping a location on the map.
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? Yes
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? The issue occurred every single time.
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 22:06:19:11:45 EDT - This has occurred nonstop since button remapping has been introduced to the game
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
How severe is your issue? Major impacts to gameplay
What happens when the bug occurs? After the update that allowed for button remapping, I remapped the ping button from R1 to Square. When I open the map, pressing square to mark locations on the map does nothing. I pressed all the buttons and none of them work so It is impossible to ping locations on the map.
What should be happening instead? I should be able to ping locations on the MAP when I press square but nothing happens.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? > Open the settings menu > Click on Button Layout > Select Evolved > Now go to customized > Swap "PING/PING WHEEL" with "INTERACT/PICKUP/RELOAD" - This should swap R1 with Square > Go in game and attempt to mark locations on the map

I am able to ping weapons, enemies, and locations like normal, but when I try to ping anything with the map open, nothing happens. For example, if i want to ping MARKET on the map, I cannot. The only alternative is to have line of sight with MARKET and ping it manually. 

My brother also did the same button remapping and encountered the same issue. Ever since the custom button layout option was introduced, we have been completely unable to mark locations on the map. This is not a rarely occurring issue, it happens every single time. There is clearly a bug that occurs when buttons are remapped; please look into this! 

I have attached an image with my complete button remapping, just in case you would like to imitate exactly what I did to encounter the issue.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 47 (9,899 Views)

Re: Can no longer ping on the map after doing a button remapping

Community Manager

@CountSoluku 

Are you using a ninja setup?

Can’t ping with the “Ninja” controller preset in inventory or deathboxes.

Apex Legends Known Issues

Blueberry.png
Message 2 of 47 (9,860 Views)

★★ Novice

Same issue here with custom mapped buttons (default mapping with three buttons changed). I moved ping to L1

use/reload to R1

and tactical to square

Can't ping on the map which is frustrating. I also noticed that at the bottom of the map, it still says something to the effect of "R2 to ping", which is no longer my point button. I did try using R2 on the map, but it didn't work. 

Message 3 of 47 (9,809 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Still not fixed after the latest patch. Ended up using PS4 button mapping to combat this but really wish this would be fixed. Custom mapping the ping button does not allow you to pay map!

Message 4 of 47 (9,756 Views)

Community Manager

@Jagonss wrote:

Still not fixed after the latest patch. Ended up using PS4 button mapping to combat this but really wish this would be fixed. Custom mapping the ping button does not allow you to pay map!

@Jagonss 

Does the right-trigger doing anything? It's a different layout but curious if that helps. Mentioned here.

Blueberry.png
Message 5 of 47 (9,744 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I moved the Sprint to L1 to fight the issue with the sprinting bug , still barely fixed that issue but in doing so I can't ping on the map 😒 , completely ruins this and makes it unplayable between the Sprint bug and map , it just makes this title trash.

Message 6 of 47 (9,729 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Blueberry wrote:

@Jagonss wrote:

@Jagonss 

Does the right-trigger doing anything? It's a different layout but curious if that helps. Mentioned here.

@EA_Blueberry 

The right trigger zooms into the map (left trigger zooms out) as usual. I've tried my button layout on PC as well and it also doesn't work there. 

To recreate it just have someone plug in a controller to PC or PS4 and use customize layout. Change pings to left on the d-pad and it won't work when pinging the map. No other button works either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLjLEBGTyEo

Message 7 of 47 (9,690 Views)

Community Manager

@Jagonss 

I'll do what I can to get this raised up to the team if they're not already aware of it. Thanks for pinging it our way. Thumbs up

Blueberry.png
Message 8 of 47 (9,643 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Please raise it to the team.  This is a small bug but for those of us who switched from default controller setups, it's so annoying.

Here's a bit more info:

1.  Persists after deleting and reinstalling game on PS4.

2.  Persists after resetting PS4.

3.  Persists after going back to default button layout.

4.  I've read that if you launch game on same system with different user ID pings will work again but I haven't tested this yet.

Basically, it appears that once you customize buttons you nuke the ability to ping in death boxes as well as ping on mini-map.

Thanks and can't wait until this get's fixed!

Message 9 of 47 (9,573 Views)

★★★ Novice

Solved!... mostly.

1.  Go into button layout.

2.  Reset the button layouts.  Press BIG PS4 controller button to do it.

3.  Then select custom button layout *

4.  Now you can ping mini-map and inside death boxes again!

* Ping still broken with custom layout.

Good luck!

Message 10 of 47 (9,554 Views)