Re: Call for action on current crashing/freezing issue

by MomawNadonE3P0

Original Post

★★★★★ Novice
Based on my own previous bug experience*, I'm not too optimistic that we'll get a timely or transparent response to this.

* frequent error code 106 crashes, for almost a year and a half now - my bug report was never even acknowledged, just merged into another thread where the only feedback given was a useless and ineffective cookie cutter response to try reinstalling ... and now I have a second type of crashing to deal with on a daily basis. Great.
Message 21 of 77 (694 Views)

@grumpybear9000 wrote:

I play on ios and android and emulators. They all have the same symptoms. This isn't a post hoc fallacy, there are issues, and we don't know what causes them, but they are replicated over different devices. 

I don't care if it's "hard" to work out. If you run a business that releases something that doesn't work for your clients, you fix it. End of. If ran my businesses with the same laissez faire attitude that CG did I would have folded many years ago.

I realise you have to be impartial because of your positions, but frankly you're blinded by loyalty.

1. Even in iOS, different devices have different configurations. It’s less dramatic than the fragmentation seen in Android, but it exists. Given that my Android and iOS devices have not had a single crash, it is not universally prevalent. Perhaps by identifying on which devices crashes do/don’t happen, these issues can be better investigated, 

2. Just because EA doesn’t give consistent status updates on this bug (or any bug really), it doesn’t mean they aren’t working on it. The Unity update was a good example - supposed to bring increased stability to the game, as a fix for pre-u it’s crashes. Since the update there has been one patch. For all we know they have identified the issue and are working in the patch right now. 
3. I don’t have to be impartial, and I constantly advocate for players. I have not said EA doesn’t need to work on anything, or that there isn’t a problem. People online tend to get overly angry about things they feel should be done according to their preferences - like fixing a specific bug *immediately*, but that’s not a realistic expectation. I am trying to help people on these threads better understand the process and what challenges CG is likely facing for an issue like this. I,expect that if players understand more, they will have more empathy towards the people trying to,fix the game. 

★★★★★ Apprentice

I'm not angry, I'm just used to being disappointed by today's standards and in particular CG's lack of communication / involvement with its customers.

I've have several decades of being angry, it doesn't get you anywhere.

I've shared with them the bugs / issues, but we're not all techno geeks that can give exact technical issues. 

Wealth management, stocks, shares, management consultancy - sure that's my forte, but I shouldn't have to spend time debugging things on a game I enjoy playing (mainly in the boardroom... or should that be bored-room?) [I injected that humour to soften my tone of my message!].

I appreciate that software issues are hard to find, but like anything that is built, whether it is a production line, drugs, concrete or anything else, there needs to be some timely and visible understanding/acknowledgement of the issue, and more overt path to solutions. 

One simply shouldn't release things that have not been pressure tested enough or full due-diligence performed. 

Message 23 of 77 (664 Views)

@grumpybear9000 It's my understanding that CG (and other similar companies) face more community anger when timelines change.

For example, they announced development of a new raid. Then they announced it was put on hold, and people got really angry - likely more angry than if they had never mentioned the raid at all.

So I feel that they under communicate intentionally, because the baseline anger at that is less than the anger the community would throw whenever timelines shift.

"You promised Bug X would be fixed by today! You owe me hundreds of crystals per day until it's fixed" etc.

I would love to see more communication and a clearer glimpse into what the studio is working on, both in terms of fixes and improvements. But people being people, we can't have these nice things.

★ Guide

with the change of the game engine, i've been getting new crashes very frequently.

1st type: most often in fleet arena battles. most of the crashes are instant and do not include an error at all. the app just closes.

2nd type: in random game menus, my buttons will no longer work. the game screen is just unresponsive to button clicking and forces me to close the app myself.

Message 25 of 77 (624 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@shhfiftyfive Hi. Welcome to this thread! Can you try running the diagnostics in the original post?
Message 26 of 77 (619 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@GladOS-013 I honestly don't think it's the timeline for a fix that matters here. Having worked in the industry I know that it's impossible to predict when you will have a fix to a complex bug... However that doesn't justify telling your customers nothing at all. Doing so just polarises the community (as you can see on this issue).

The important thing is to set expectations appropriately. For example, to acknowledge a bug and (for majorly impacting ones) say when you might have an update on the matter. An ongoing dialog with both sides working as hard as possible for a swift resolution is the real answer here. I really hope that's all that any of us are asking for here.

Isn't that right @grumpybear9000 ?
Message 27 of 77 (609 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Spot on. 

I don't like being treated like a mug. (British expression). Which currently is how I feel. 

Message 28 of 77 (565 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

If people get angry they need to get to the root cause of it, and be brave enough to accept the criticism and yes you will get angry people but if the majority are placated then the rest will follow. You can't please everyone all of the time but if you can please a lot of people some of the time it's a much better strategy. 

It's common decency and just normal customer service. 

I would have liked a new raid. Being CG they'd probably had not been creative with it and done another copy and paste but still it would have shown something. 

I don't understand the cryptic strategy. Sure, don't lay all your cards on the table, but also give us a clue. More people would be willing to invest in the game if they were more transparent and open. 

Message 29 of 77 (562 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I can understand a lot of things, but game freezing during scrolling guild chat? Raised eyebrow
You've got to be f..king kidding me... Angry

Message 30 of 77 (497 Views)