Original Post

Call for action on current crashing/freezing issue

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Product: Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
Platform:Android Tablet
What type of device are you experiencing the issue with? Many
OS Version Many
Ally Code: (Find it here: http://bit.ly/AllyCode )
What type of issue do you have? Other
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
Summarize your bug Many people have now commented on the increased instability of the game since the Unity update. Please do something to acknowledge it.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Just play the game for a while...
Connection Type Wifi
Please select your region Europe
Country

I've been reading the threads for about a week now and there seems to be little acknowledgement of the issue with the Unity update and how it has reduced the stability of the game.  The only responses I've seen so far from Support are to tell people to stop using emulators as they are not supported...  which is far from all of us.

I'd like to see a coordinated effort from the community to get the diagnostics needed to identify the bug(s) and a response from Support to give us some progress updates before it's too late and we stop playing the game.

I have been trying to diagnose the issue myself so far (see

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Game-is-regularly-crashing-SIGSEGV-while-in-combat/m-p/9313865...) and think that there are at least 2 problems.  It would appear that the new version requires a little more RAM than before, so you really do need to minimize other app usage on older devices.  The second appears to be a bug in the game, causing a segmentation violation at random points (but usually in battles).  My best guess is that it is a race condition in the code (probably when something is slow to load).

I think the best way for us to help here is to start generating more stack dumps so that CG/EA can use look at the relevant code.  It would then be great to hear something from Support on how the diagnosis is going.

If you agree and want to help, here's how you can get your own diagnostics from Android. 

• First you need a laptop/PC.
  • Then you need to install the debug bridge.  Instructions are here https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/
  • Once you have connected the debug bridge to your android device, run "adb logcat *:E" and play the game.
  • When it crashes, look for the stack trace that mentions starwars.  You can see a couple of examples in my originial bug report (linked earlier)
  • Cut and paste that into this bug report.

If you know how to do the same on other systems, that would be a great thing to add to this report too... 

In the meantime MTFBWY!

Message 1 of 77 (1,841 Views)

Re: Call for action on current crashing/freezing issue

@Resmi9793 Hi, the devs are constantly looking for ways to improve stability.

Emulators are not supporter however, so any diagnostic reports from blue stacks, nox, or other emulators will just be ignored.

Also, I am not a moderator, but there’s a decent chance you will face some sort of forum sanction or ban for spamming this board with 28-29 bumps. That is a clear violation of the “spamming” rule. A single post should suffice.
https://answers.ea.com/t5/help/faqpage#dos-donts

★★★★★ Apprentice
@GladOS-013 Hi there. Not trying to spam. Just collating the obviously related issues. It would be a sad situation if someone who is clearly trying to help faces sanctions.
Message 3 of 77 (1,709 Views)

@Resmi9793 Yet you filled up the entire board with a bunch of posts, driving all other issues off the front page. Trying to organize a group to collect crash data is good. Breaking forum rules is not good.

★★★★★ Apprentice
@GladOS-013 Sorry. I assumed that was in reference to a single thread, i.e. don't keep bumping your thread just to get it to the top. Obviously, I won't be rebumping any of these threads again.
Message 5 of 77 (1,681 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

The problem here, as always, is the communication. Probably they are working on it, but they said nothing about it because maybe still they don't know when will be solved, but would be good an announcement in the main SWGoH EA Forum like they do sometimes with the title "known issue", by this way the players know that they are working on it.

As they not said nothing we don't know if they are working on it or if they ignored it, or if they not noticed it, because always it seems like if the developers not play the game to test if is working properly.

This issue is happening in all devices, not only emulators. Also in iOS Apple devices and Android phone/tablet devices.

Message 6 of 77 (1,641 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Exactly!  I wouldn't even have started this thread if there was already anything that showed some progress on the issue, or had even just collated the myriad of recent bug reports.

Message 7 of 77 (1,625 Views)

I have an iPhone XR and a Galaxy S8, and I haven’t had any crashes or freezes since the unity update. /shrug

★★★★★ Apprentice

I wish I could say the same!  This isn't a simple bug that always reproduces by just following a few simple steps, so I have been trying to get stack traces that will help the devs fix this problem (as you can see in my other post).

Looking through the forum, I noticed that I was not the only one, but the coordination is lacking.  Many people are seeing the exaxt same symptoms, but getting little advice on what to do.  I have tried to help fill that void with this thread in order to get a quick resolution that we'd all truly appreciate.

Message 9 of 77 (1,586 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

GladOs - great. So because you're fine everyone else should be?

It's not. Hundreds (probably more) people are having issues regardless of emulators or not. 

Typical CG and their awful communication and customer service. They're too busy buffing Kylo rather than sort out the issues with the game or acknowledging that they're aware of the problem. 

Instead they blame your connection, or "checked and it seems to be you" type of response. 

Pathetic. 

Message 10 of 77 (1,470 Views)