Re: rejected description text

by Japanic2012

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@SqueamishNerdBut not in English. So, why?

Really, unless the word is used in a derogatory way, I just don't see the point. And I am inclined to cuss in Turkish! (Which is actually a very creative language that way. Always loved: "Sit here and see Istanbul!")

Message 341 of 433 (1,038 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Guide

@stjmk There is no way for the program to determine which language you are actually using within the Gallery because you can use any language you want (just like on Twitter). The truth is, there is no official language in the Gallery. It's just a coincidence that most people use English because it's the most common but if someone decides to write in Russian, Chinese or a mixture of several different languages, he can do so without restrictions.

The only feasible solution I can think of would be, to introduce some form of an A.I. algorithm that can acknowledge whole sentences and determine its meaning before applying the filter. So, if you write i.e. "Fukuoka is a city in southern Japan", the program should be able to recognize that you are not referring to the F-word.

Message 342 of 433 (1,008 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

I shall add that there might be another way to deal with censorship issues. Some game platforms (like Steam) offer profanity (chat) filters that can be switched on and off so it's up to the individual player to decide whether or not to make use of it. Then again, having PlayStation and Xbox versions may cause complications as they go with their own set of requirements and guidelines.

Message 343 of 433 (971 Views)

Re: [Please post here] Disallowed words

★ Novice

"Spade", is a derogatory term for Black People in America, and even England.  So, rightfully, they disallow it.  It is offensive.

Message 344 of 433 (927 Views)

★★ Pro
@JoeBearPA It's also the term for a common garden tool.

It is also a card suit. (Hearts, diamonds, spades, clubs. Bridge is important!)

It is also a fairly common last name, "Kate Spade," for instance.

Moreover, as a derogatory term, "spade" is really dated. Which is why they made fun of it in "Blazing Saddles!'

"Once I've established myself in this here town, Deputy Spade might prove to be a groovy position!"
Message 345 of 433 (910 Views)

★★★★ Pro
@JoeBearPA And if we look at other languages it's also a word for a garden tool in Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, and Dutch. It's also a surname in Sweden.
Message 346 of 433 (887 Views)

★★ Pro

I completely agree, just get rid of the stupid censorship and update the rules like "hey don't use offensive language or you'll get a month long ban". At least leave the character names be.

There's always a word in someone's native language that's offensive in some other language. I saw Spade mentioned and it's a perfectly normal nickname here, I could see myself playing with a household with a dude called Spade. No big deal but EA is making a fuss out of it for absolutely no reason. *rolls eyes*

Message 347 of 433 (858 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@siirysiir I do agree to a certain degree, however I still prefer having a warning beforehand as the basic language issue persists. Getting banned for no obvious reasons is a bit harsh if you are not familiar with all the offensive terms in each and every language. Or can we generally assume that everyone does know that for instance the term "Feb" which I usually use as an abbreviation for "February" is banned in the southern part of Ireland and therefore can't be used within the Gallery? I don't see a point in having 5000+ people getting banned every day for using offensive language without the intention to do so.

Message 348 of 433 (809 Views)

★★ Pro
@Japanic2012 yeah I obviously didn't mean that it should be slapped on you for one word. But still I don't really expect much from EA or them updating their ridiculous rules and if they don't let me say b00b, I will say brea5t instead. Or, ultimately, *censored*, which is one of two prominences located on the upper ventral region of the torso of primates. You get the picture.
Message 349 of 433 (759 Views)

Re: [COLLECTION THREAD] Unjustified disallowed words

★★★ Novice

Keep getting warning since naming a child Suki Akiyama. It's a perfectly legit Japanese name with a beautiful meaning - smh

Message 350 of 433 (674 Views)